What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 7 yo little girl couldn't have reached the back of the seat to kick it.

Now THAT'S funny. Ha!

Look, this wasn't a one time incident. This was every single time I went to the theater. Either someone in the row behind would kick the row in front of them, or they'd push and rock. The attached seats of a row; the whole row felt the impact or rocking. I learned asking nicely evoked a really bully attitude from the offender along the lines of 'wadda-ya-gonna-do-about-it-old-man'. The theater would do nothing but offer me a refund or pass to another showing. I guess the straw finally broke this camel's back and I got a little more bold and dressed down the kicker. A ****-for-brains pimple popping punk who's only hope for a date was a darkened movie theater so she wouldn't have to look at his pizza mug, trying to impress his date with his he man, badass bully behavior of kicking the seats in front of him then making faces and snort noises when folks turned around to see what was going on. Oops! I mean @#$%%^&#@$^#@^#%^@:greetings10:

Thanks for that post, skipro33. I enjoyed it. What gets me is the people who plop both dirty feet up on the back of the chair in front of them. Not only is it disrespectful to everyone else in the theater, imo, especially those seated in the plopped-on row, but hey, someone is going to put his or her head there sometime, and receive all that floor grime in his or her hair. Yuck.

the behavior described above, the beer bottle that hit the floor and rolled downhill under the seats and between our feet, the loud-enough-to-be-heard yakking, the cell phone use...are why we limit our movie going to matinees with the other geezers (that's how I ask for our tickets...two geezers for xyz movie) or if we do go at night we wait till the movie has been out for a decade to ensure a virtual private showing.

coming back from a tax advisor today we saw a new version of the baby on board signs. we don't have kids so maybe that's why I just don't get the purpose. 'ooooh...don't get near my car cuz I have a baby with me' or are they notice to first responders should a wreck occur (news flash..the cops, medics and firefighters will search thoroughly). the best BoB 'sign' I ever saw was many years ago on the way to work. a beater car, think it was an old van, passed me with a doll strapped to a piece of plywood which was attached to what was left of the rear bumper. very cool.

Don't know about theaters being too loud. I haven't been to one in over ten years.

Last movie I saw inside a theater: Star Trek the Motion Picture, Summer of 1980. In November I took a GF and her 6 yrs old to see Popeye with Robin Williams at a drive-in. I kind of miss the big-screen / big-sound experience but I don't miss the people.

I always enjoy the Goofs section on IMDB.

https://www.stereogum.com/1780186/what_kind_of_person_sends_in_m/vg-loc/videogum/

The continuity errors are the most common, but my favorites are when the camera is visible in the scene (e.g. in a reflection).

I remember when I found the IMDB in I think 1996 it was like "Wow, somebody was reading my mind!" My personal submissions to the goofs or trivia sections usually concern: Anachronisms. A character supposedly in 1951 signing a song that wasn't recorded till 1959. Hey, one of my degrees is in History. And in military themed movies I'm all over which officers should and shouldn't have scrambled eggs on their hats. And the Air Force doesn't have corporals

Posters turning a discussion of carry-on luggage into a pissing contest...

Amen. Nowadays it is likely that most discussions turn into that.

Surly thoroughly miserable, obnoxious salvation army employees. I noted this a few years ago.

Today I gave them a second chance. Had a large set of silver plated cutlery which is not worth buying by any resellers. On the way to the skating rink, I stopped at SA to give them the big very nicely made wooden box full of them. Opened door to donation area, inside a surly cuss pointed outside and said put it there. When I asked for a receipt he pointed to a table and said, there. I did not take one.
I walked out, put the stuff back in the suburban. I have a barrel were I put scrap metal for the recycler. The stuff got dumped in there, the very nice box I will use for something or sell on craigslist for $5.
I'll never have anything to do with SA again.

My peeve today is the US Commemorative Gallery, grandparent scammers extraordinaire. Just got back from one of my mom's storage units on a paperwork search, and was reminded of the dozens and dozens of boxed US quarter sets that my dad bought from the Gallery over the years. These are uncirculated coin sets that a collector somewhere might want someday, but I've tried to sell mine, and ended up doing so for face value. Didn't seem worth the time and effort to try to get more. Dad was wooed into some of the subscriptions offered by the Gallery, and paid likely 5 or 6 times face value or more for the coins, which he thought were good investments that the kids and grandkid would prize. I'm not looking forward to dealing with the coins when the time comes, either trying to sell them in lots at a little above face value or prying open all those protective capsules and filling the trash can with display boxes.

Yeah, I'm annoyed at my dad for buy all that junk, but he's gone, so I'll be peeved at the Gallery, which I consider to be one of those outfits that preys on uninformed seniors.

My useless, useless health care benefits website. OK, I accept that they don't want to talk to me, warning of horrible wait times, and sending me to a hangup. OK, I'm willing to plow through the website and look at the policy documents directly. But the website also sends me into a loop - just a few tabs, and every likely thing I click on sends me back to a main menu. Only the scantiest information about my policy - such as deductible costs - seems to be available. I left my negative comments on their "tell us what you think" link, and I also emailed them to demand the exact url where I can find my complete policy.

My useless, useless health care benefits website. OK, I accept that they don't want to talk to me, warning of horrible wait times, and sending me to a hangup. OK, I'm willing to plow through the website and look at the policy documents directly. But the website also sends me into a loop - just a few tabs, and every likely thing I click on sends me back to a main menu. Only the scantiest information about my policy - such as deductible costs - seems to be available. I left my negative comments on their "tell us what you think" link, and I also emailed them to demand the exact url where I can find my complete policy.

i have experienced very similar problems on a couple of brokerage websites. after much frustration i discovered the problem was my browser. my system is Windows 7 using Internet Explorer 11. i found using Google Chrome on those websites eliminated the problems. you might give that a try. i'll be upgrading to Win10 later this year.

Items that are advertised as something that they definitely are not!
"Leather", fine print: PU leather: means PLASTIC!!
Electric wire that is copper clad aluminum. Gotta read through a long description to find out it's NOT copper wire.

Well I’m on a roll today. Bought a Samsung smart tv. Hooked it up to my soundbar (since we know how bad the internal speakers are) and turned it on. Sound would only come out of the soundbar with a device connected with hdmi. Antenna and none of the apps (Netflix, etc.) would play sound through the soundbar connected with an optical cable. Checked everything and still nothing. Got on a chat with Samsung support and got the typical useless troubleshooting tips. Meanwhile I was searching and found a support forum where many people had the same issue. Seems there is a setting in the Sound> Expert Settings menu that needs to be changed. Once I did that everything worked as promised.
But there is nothing in the small paper manual and nothing in the E-manual and nothing on the Samsung support website. Not even the support tech knew about it.
So why the heck doesn’t Samsung make that setting the default? Especially since most people will connect their tv to external speakers using the optical cable.

So why the heck doesn’t Samsung make that setting the default? Especially since most people will connect their tv to external speakers using the optical cable.

For the same unknown reason most new TVs come with the 'soap opera effect' set as default. (my pet peeve)
"The soap opera effect is actually a feature of many modern televisions. It's called "motion smoothing," "motion interpolation," or "ME/MC" for motion estimation/motion compensation. Some people don't notice it, some don't mind it, and a few even like it. "

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/soap-opera-effect-tom-cruise-wants-you-to-turn-it-off-heres-how/

Last edited:
For the same unknown reason most new TVs come with the 'soap opera effect' set as default. (my pet peeve)
"The soap opera effect is actually a feature of many modern televisions. It's called "motion smoothing," "motion interpolation," or "ME/MC" for motion estimation/motion compensation. Some people don't notice it, some don't mind it, and a few even like it. "

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/soap-opera-effect-tom-cruise-wants-you-to-turn-it-off-heres-how/

related pet peeve, most hotel TV's are set this way, and you can't fiddle with it yourself. DH and I are both in the "mind it" camp. Cannot not see it.

Just watched a pilot for a new series. Good guy shoots bad guy in left shoulder. Two scenes later and the blood spot is on his right shoulder!
Someone please pay attention when shooting these scenes.

I'm going through my latest book, and just found that in the same scene, I have someone wearing a tweed suit and then a three-piece brown suit. Twenty beta readers, and no one caught that.

Those errors are hard to avoid.

Al I find similar errors as I'm proofreading a book. I guess being OCD does have some advantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom