What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It goes the other way too. A few years back, The Chicago Tribune changed their font (at least for the print edition, which I don't get anymore). When a word had two lower case "t"s together (like "better" or Everett" ), the horizontals of the "t"s (I assume that is a serif), overlapped and it looked like the symbol for "Pi" (π). Very odd looking. No one noticed this?

Another pet peeve, I couldn't recall how to type a Pi symbol, had to copy/paste. I know how to do degrees: ° (on my system "start" and oo) . Hmmm, "start" and PP gives ¶ (paragraph).

edit/add: OK, this will set the conspiracy theorists going: After submitting this, I turn to my email, and I just received:

Tales Of �������� ⌨️ (Was "Tales of Type", some chars not recognized)

https://tedium.co/2020/08/07/digita...m_campaign=Tedium_08_07_2020&utm_medium=email

do-do do-do do-do do-do(Twilight Zone theme)

-ERD50
What is happening there is the composing software has a feature where it substitutes a different character code to improve the on-screen or printed appearance. So the browser shows you one thing but the characters when copied are not interpreted correctly when you paste elsewhere.

EDIT: Actually, I am able to copy and paste that text successfully.

Last edited:
The combination "tt" is often kerned closer together: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerning#Kerning_values

When I write "tt" in cursive, I use a single stroke to cross both t's. Do you cross them individually? I imagine that the kerning is meant to imitate the look of crossing them both with the same stroke, but that is just my speculation.

What's cursive:confused::LOL::LOL::LOL: my cursive looks like absolute chicken scratches due to lack of use....

edit/add: OK, this will set the conspiracy theorists going: After submitting this, I turn to my email, and I just received:

Tales Of �������� ⌨️ (Was "Tales of Type", some chars not recognized)

https://tedium.co/2020/08/07/digita...m_campaign=Tedium_08_07_2020&utm_medium=email

do-do do-do do-do do-do(Twilight Zone theme)

-ERD50

We had a weird thing like this happen last week. We'd gone to a friend's house and he'd taken DH downstairs to look at a tool in his shop. Later at home while DH and I were on the internet, DH mentioned that the guy had showed him a Murphy bed he'd built in a downstairs bedroom. The next morning, I started seeing ads for Murphy beds. Neither of us had ever searched for anything related to Murphy beds, only talked about it that one time. We then did an experiment by having a discussion about Viking ranges. Haven't yet seen any ads for them but we both disabled all app's access to the microphones on our laptops anyways.

We had a weird thing like this happen last week. We'd gone to a friend's house and he'd taken DH downstairs to look at a tool in his shop. Later at home while DH and I were on the internet, DH mentioned that the guy had showed him a Murphy bed he'd built in a downstairs bedroom. The next morning, I started seeing ads for Murphy beds. Neither of us had ever searched for anything related to Murphy beds, only talked about it that one time. We then did an experiment by having a discussion about Viking ranges. Haven't yet seen any ads for them but we both disabled all app's access to the microphones on our laptops anyways.

I'd repeat that experiment over the next few days by talking about other products, and try to have the same things open on the computer as when you spoke about Murphy beds. Then, no matter the results I think I'd add a switch to the microphone and camera like I've been wanting to do anyway.

Been reading something about this stuff, more likely your phone knew your contacts ,pinged your location as your buddies house and since your buddy had a new Murphy bed decided to shoot you an ad in case you liked it. It's insidious. Your buddy at sometime probably googled murphy bed or a seller of the same.

Actually Timcast has an interesting Youtube video yesterday about how pervasive this stuff relating to the TicTok uproar..talk about contact tracing!!

Alexa and Google are ALWAYS listening. Not sure you can turn off mic for those on your phone, but if you have their in-home devices, I know they listen and react to those. I once was talking about egg noodles and Google piped up that egg noodles were on sale at Safeway this week for $XX amount. THAT was creepy!

peeved that we can't discuss mask science and construction without some one spitting all over the thread.

My pet peeve is getting someone to follow up on a home project they expressed an interest in. We had someone come in and look at a couple rooms to quote us a price to paint them. He made the quote right then, but said he would follow up by dropping off some paint suggestions. He would leave it on our inside porch if we weren't home. Been a couple weeks.....Nope !

Had someone stop by to ask about paving our driveway. We live in the country and the township was having the blacktop in front of our property re-paved. The contractor stopped by to say as long as they'd be in the area, they were asking homeowners along the route if they would like quotes and get their drives/gravel-ways repaved. Convenient for them as their equipment would already be here. He said he would drop off the quote and/or put it in our mailbox if we weren't home. Nope !!

We had a tree service plant a couple new trees over the past few years. On their last visit, we asked them about getting a specific kind of tree and what the cost would be. They said they would check and call us with the information. Been a few weeks. Nope !!

We feel like we are trying to beautify our place, put some money into the economy, give work opportunities to local businesses.....and yet......no replies. Are they that busy?? Are they just blowing us off?? We think our dollars would be welcomed. But maybe not.

That's why I end up doing a lot of work myself. It's easier than trying to get a local tradesman. I sometimes wonder how these guys can stay in business with such poor response to potential customers. Who knows? Maybe they're all FIREd and just doing it as a hobby job.

Maybe this was posted before, I couldn't find it, but I've been noticing this a lot lately during news interviews, the incorrect usage of "I" and "me". People tend to use "I" all the time, maybe because it sounds more formal and so they assume it's correct.

"It was a good thing for George and I."

That's not right. If it was good for just you, you'd say, "It was a good thing for me," not "It was a good thing for I." So if George benefitted as well, it'd be, "...a good thing for George and me."

"George and me went to the store."

Should be "George and I went to the store," because if only you went, you'd say, "I went to the store".

"Joe came to the store with George and me."

"Joe came to the store with me." Yup, that's right.

Maybe this was posted before, I couldn't find it, but I've been noticing this a lot lately during news interviews, the incorrect usage of "I" and "me". People tend to use "I" all the time, maybe because it sounds more formal and so they assume it's correct.

That's not right. If it was good for just you, you'd say, "It was a good thing for me," not "It was a good thing for I." So if George benefitted as well, it'd be, "...a good thing for George and me."

Should be "George and I went to the store," because if only you went, you'd say, "I went to the store".

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Drives me nuts.

Also, the use of a reflexive pronoun when not called for. ("When you are done filling out the form, you can give it to the receptionist or myself.")

Been reading something about this stuff, more likely your phone knew your contacts ,pinged your location as your buddies house and since your buddy had a new Murphy bed decided to shoot you an ad in case you liked it. It's insidious. Your buddy at sometime probably googled murphy bed or a seller of the same.

Actually Timcast has an interesting Youtube video yesterday about how pervasive this stuff relating to the TicTok uproar..talk about contact tracing!!

I read an article last week about a company that got caught installing tracking (location) software as a piggy back to other software (hundreds of applications). Of course, they tried to make it sound innocuous, but refuses to share what software/apps have this software and the extent of what/how it tracks. I did have to laugh when the article mentioned, "While the software is installed, it doesn't have the ability to track a phone owner's name, only a alphanumerical serial number assigned to the device"....uh, back in the day...didn't they call that a PHONE NUMBER?!? :cool: As far as I am concerned, if you use/carry/have powered on a smart phone, don't expect ANYTHING to be private...and that includes the microphone. And don't expect that "turning it off" will do anything but give you false security.

"Allow myself to introduce....my...self"

-Austin Powers

"I'm a man of wealth and taste...."

(We have it on the radio here..."Call myself at....")

I have a friend who uses "myself", which seems even worse.

"George and myself went to the store."

Going solo, it certainly wouldn't be "Myself went to the store."

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Drives me nuts.

Also, the use of a reflexive pronoun when not called for. ("When you are done filling out the form, you can give it to the receptionist or myself.")

"Allow myself to introduce....my...self"

-Austin Powers

I have a friend who uses "myself", which seems even worse.

"George and myself went to the store."

Going solo, it certainly wouldn't be "Myself went to the store."

Here, here! You and me aren't the only one's bothered by poor grammer, bad speling and errent puncualation.

Although it is probably a mute point, if you take a peak at how often things are worded wrong its discouraging and goes against one of my basic principals. I supposed its best to ignore gramatical and speling errers rather then make a big deal about it, all though your right if you think it's negatively effected my outlook.

OK, I've said my peace.

Carrion.

Here, here! You and me aren't the only one's bothered by poor grammer, bad speling and errent puncualation.

Although it is probably a mute point, if you take a peak at how often things are worded wrong its discouraging and goes against one of my basic principals. I supposed its best to ignore gramatical and speling errers rather then make a big deal about it, all though your right if you think it's negatively effected my outlook.

OK, I've said my peace.

Carrion.

+1 :LOL:

OK, I've said my peace.

Carrion.

Oye. That makes my brain hurt.

Hear are some grammer tips for myself and the rest of you:

1. Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects.
  2. Never use a preposition to end a sentence with. Winston Churchill, corrected on this error once, responded to the young man who corrected him by saying "Young man, that is the kind of impudence up with which I will not put!
  3. And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.
  4. It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.
  5. Avoid cliches like the plague. (They're old hat.)
  6. Also, always avoid annoying alliteration.
  7. Be more or less specific.
  8. Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.
  9. Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies endlessly over and over again.
  10. No sentence fragments.
  11. Contractions aren't always necessary and shouldn't be used to excess so don't.
  12. Foreign words and phrases are not always apropos.
  13. Do not be redundant; do not use more words than necessary; it's highly superfluous and can be excessive.
  14. All generalizations are bad.
  15. Comparisons are as bad as cliches.
  16. Don't use no double negatives.
  17. Avoid excessive use of ampersands & abbrevs., etc.
  18. One-word sentences? Eliminate.
  19. Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake (Unless they are as good as gold).
  20. The passive voice is to be ignored.
  21. Eliminate commas, that are, not necessary. Parenthetical words, however, should be enclosed in commas.
  22. Never use a big word when substituting a diminutive one would suffice.
  23. Don't overuse exclamation points!!!
  24. Use words correctly, irregardless of how others use them.
  25. Understatement is always the absolute best way to put forth earth-shaking ideas.
  26. Use the apostrophe in it's proper place and omit it when its not needed and use it correctly with words' that show possession.
  27. Don't use too many quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "I hate quotations.. Tell me what you know."
  28. If you've heard it once, you've heard it a billion times: Resist hyperbole; not one writer in a million can use it correctly. Besides, hyperbole is always overdone, anyway.
  29. Puns are for children, not groan readers.
  30. Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms.
  31. Even IF a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed.
  32. Who needs rhetorical questions? However, what if there were no rhetorical questions?
  33. Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.
  34. Avoid "buzz-words"; such integrated transitional scenarios complicate simplistic matters.
  35. People don't spell "a lot" correctly alot of the time.
  36. Each person should use their possessive pronouns correctly.
  37. All grammar and spelling rules have exceptions (with a few exceptions)....Morgan's Law.
  38. Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
  39. The dash - a sometimes useful punctuation mark - can often be overused - even though it's a helpful tool some of the time.
  40. Proofread carefully to make sure you don't repeat repeat any words.
  41. In writing, it's important to remember that dangling sentences.

OK, I've said my peace.

Carrion.

You forgot the exclamation point!

"Such as" vs "like".

"She grew vegetables like kale and carrots."

Since "like" means "similar to", are we to understand that the vegetables were not exactly kale and carrots, but things similar to them, such as collard greens and parsnips perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom