What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People pulling out of the drive-through at a fast food restaurant and making me sit and wait behind them at the next turn while they orient their fry containers and other food in the car for their maximum enjoyment.:mad::mad::mad:

The way the written word is rapidly being replaced by videos and distractions. Some of us just prefer to read a paragraph from start to finish, and actually think about what we are reading, doggone it! Seems like webpages are being designed solely by illiterates now.

:rant::bat::banghead:

I remember the great old days when you could find webpages that were just text. They would load really fast and you could read to your heart's content. :(

The way the written word is rapidly being replaced by videos and distractions...(
+1

There are so many Web sites that automatically load unsolicited videos and play them. Quite often, they do not do that right away, but start the video some time after I open their home page, and am in the middle of reading something. The sudden audio startles me, and upsets me to no end. I immediately kill their stupid page.

There are so many Web sites that automatically load unsolicited videos and play them.

I HATE that! If I want to watch a ****** video I'll click on it myself!

People who stand in concert areas and block the view of the stage for every person behind them when there are clearly marked sign saying blankets or low back chairs only. I guess they don't get the part that standing blocks other's views even more than high backed chairs.

People who shout for two hours straight to their friends during concerts so they can hear each other above the band and the band's sound system. I don't get why they don't just go to a park without a band, a pub or someone's house if they just want to talk to their friends and aren't going to pay attention to the band anyway. Why go and drown out the band for the concert goers around them who are trying to hear the music?

People who stand in concert areas and block the view of the stage for every person behind them when there are clearly marked sign saying blankets or low back chairs only. I guess they don't get the part that standing blocks other's views even more than high backed chairs.

People who shout for two hours straight to their friends during concerts so they can hear each other above the band and the band's sound system. I don't get why they don't just go to a park without a band, a pub or someone's house if they just want to talk to their friends and aren't going to pay attention to the band anyway. Why go and drown out the band for the concert goers around them who are trying to hear the music?

Yep..There is a park near us that has fantastic musicians come in and play for free (they ask for donations).

I've listened to some amazing concerts there, and also walked out with my blood pressure at dangerous levels over the idiots that have to talk over the band, to their friend 10 feet away, chatting about nothing.

And if you confront them, they think you are the one being rude! And management does next to nothing.

It's so upsetting, that I'm torn about going again. The aggravation of seeing how self centered and ignorant the people are that I share this planet with (and who all get to vote, and raise children if they so choose), can be worse than the enjoyment from the concert on a good day.

It's hard to just let it go. If it was just some causal group up there, where it was assumed they were just background music, and not a feature act, it would be different. But some of these are Grammy award winners, and that caliber.

Oh yeah, and sometimes we will get there early to try to stake out a good place for our lawn chairs, only to have some people come in 10 minutes after the concert starts, and squeeze in right in front of us, and block our view. But say anything, and you are the bad guy.

People! :mad:

I need to go check my BP after writing that!

-ERD50

The way the written word is rapidly being replaced by videos and distractions. Some of us just prefer to read a paragraph from start to finish, and actually think about what we are reading, doggone it! Seems like webpages are being designed solely by illiterates now.

:rant::bat::banghead:

I remember the great old days when you could find webpages that were just text. They would load really fast and you could read to your heart's content. :(

Yup, I agree completely!

The rain when im awake.

Huh? I love to hear rain when I'm going to sleep. In fact, that's one of my favorite features of my mountain cabin: tin roof! Nothing better than that to listen to rain, wind, and hail! Maybe I'm weird :blush:

"The optics" is everywhere now, as in: “I am sensitive that some of you were concerned about the optics of the cost of Ms. Jarrett’s speaking fee given the state’s budget crisis,” Helldobler wrote to the university’s trustees on April 10." Drives me crazy.

... The aggravation of seeing how self centered and ignorant the people are that I share this planet with (and who all get to vote, and raise children if they so choose)...
-ERD50

I've observed that some people don't raise children, they just have children.

note: emphasis by redduck

Waitresses who refer to me and DW as "guys." Does she really look so butch to you? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I guess that's why they have 'yall in the South... :)

I find it more disturbing to be called "sweetie" or "honey" by a 20y old waitress. Come on now!

Last edited:
/snip/

and raise children if they so choose),

-ERD50

Just going to point this out since DW and I were having an argument about the meaning of words yesterday... she was talking about lay and lie...

I mentioned raise and rear.... I remember this from high school English class...

You 'raise' livestock...

You 'rear' children...

Teacher would take off points if you used it incorrectly...

rear2

[reer]

verb (used with object) 1. to take care of and support up to maturity: to rear a child.

Yep..There is a park near us that has fantastic musicians come in and play for free (they ask for donations).

I've listened to some amazing concerts there, and also walked out with my blood pressure at dangerous levels over the idiots that have to talk over the band, to their friend 10 feet away, chatting about nothing.

And if you confront them, they think you are the one being rude! And management does next to nothing.

It's so upsetting, that I'm torn about going again. The aggravation of seeing how self centered and ignorant the people are that I share this planet with (and who all get to vote, and raise children if they so choose), can be worse than the enjoyment from the concert on a good day.

It's hard to just let it go. If it was just some causal group up there, where it was assumed they were just background music, and not a feature act, it would be different. But some of these are Grammy award winners, and that caliber.

Oh yeah, and sometimes we will get there early to try to stake out a good place for our lawn chairs, only to have some people come in 10 minutes after the concert starts, and squeeze in right in front of us, and block our view. But say anything, and you are the bad guy.

People! :mad:

I need to go check my BP after writing that!

-ERD50

People - they're the worst! :)

I guess that's why they have 'yall in the South... :)

I find it more disturbing to be called "sweetie" or "honey" by a 20y old waitress. Come on now!

My Mom used to look at them and say, "I'm NOT your sweetie!" I don't think these young women have any idea that it's offensive to some people to be called "sweetie" by a complete stranger. I've confronted them as nicely as I can manage to be told that "that's just the way I am."

I think there's two or three pet peeves in there. ;)

"The optics" is everywhere now, as in: “I am sensitive that some of you were concerned about the optics of the cost of Ms. Jarrett’s speaking fee given the state’s budget crisis,” Helldobler wrote to the university’s trustees on April 10." Drives me crazy.

+1

Is it because "appearance" is so difficult to say?

My Mom used to look at them and say, "I'm NOT your sweetie!" I don't think these young women have any idea that it's offensive to some people to be called "sweetie" by a complete stranger. I've confronted them as nicely as I can manage to be told that "that's just the way I am."

The expression I heard in the South in response to this sort of thing was, "Why, bless your heart," spoken in tones you could pour on a waffle.

OMG I went to the Jersey Boys years ago and the kid and his mom behind us were horrible. He kept unwrapping those crinkly Jolly Ranchers and she sang along loudly and off key to every song. It was the worst theatre experience I ever had.

What is offensive about being called "sweetie" by a young waitress?
And, so you say, "That's just the way I am." Can you elaborate on that?

Such undue familiarity would be considered impertinent in the Northeast. It's not that we're unfriendly, it just takes us a while for us to decide whether or not we approve of you. [emoji3]

Down south, honey is more common than sweetie, but both are typical and very common. There is no demeaning intent.

The expression I heard in the South in response to this sort of thing was, "Why, bless your heart," spoken in tones you could pour on a waffle.

Having your heart blessed is receiving permission to continue being stupid.

"He means well, but he'll never make it, bless his heart."

Down south, honey is more common than sweetie, but both are typical and very common. There is no demeaning intent.

I guess this must be the south, it's very common around here too. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Having your heart blessed is receiving permission to continue being stupid.

"He means well, but he'll never make it, bless his heart."

Somehow, I wish that you hadn't taken the time to explain this expression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom