What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that the pet peeve thread has just surpassed the funny joke Thursday thread in post count. It only took half as many years to catch it. I guess this means we have a lot more to b*tch about than to laugh about? Well, considering all that is happening so far in 2020 that is probably true for many of us.

^ That's funny. You should have posted it in the funny joke Thursday thread, not here. :D

I see that the pet peeve thread has just surpassed the funny joke Thursday thread in post count. It only took half as many years to catch it. I guess this means we have a lot more to b*tch about than to laugh about? Well, considering all that is happening so far in 2020 that is probably true for many of us.

Everyone stay healthy and happy!

Yes, but three quarters of the posts in this thread are people telling you why you shouldn't be peeved. :facepalm:

Having just forced myself to spend a day working on my truck and fixing several broken things........ (replaced the steering wheel "clock spring" gizmo, cruise control was intermittent, and replaced the transfer case motor, it was going into 4WD "when it wanted to")

Why is that that every single electrical connector has to be different on these newer cars:confused: OMG, THIS one you press here and pull, but THIS one, you pull here and pull it out. Then this one, you press it in, slide this tab over, then pull. But THIS one, you have to squeeze both sides at once, THEN give a little twist and pull. And THIS one .....

Been working on cars for 40+ years, this drives me BATTY. No wonder I prefer to work on the 60+ year old cars I have.....

Perhaps to, I spent most of my career as a consultant/team member in developing products and my role was to make sure that things were easily serviceable.....

Perhaps to, I spent most of my career as a consultant/team member in developing products and my role was to make sure that things were easily serviceable.....

Apparently they fired/layed off all the folks like you who used to do that.:(

How about "This study pretends..."? I'll never be convinced that's a good phrase, but is it technically correct and not archaic in the context of a study that attempts to show or analyze something? Is "pretends" an acceptable intransitive verb in that phrase?

Definition of pretend

transitive verb

3 archaic : venture, undertake

intransitive verb
2 : to put in a claim
//cannot pretend to any particular expertise

— Clive Barnes

How about "This study pretends..."? I'll never be convinced that's a good phrase, but is it technically correct and not archaic in the context of a study that attempts to show or analyze something? Is "pretends" an acceptable intransitive verb in that phrase?

The verb "pretends" is a transitive verb in those sentences, using the infinitive verb (to show, to analyze, to summarize, etc), as the direct object. As you know, transitive verbs need an object. Intransitive verbs do not.

The verb "pretends" is a transitive verb in those sentences, using the infinitive verb (to show, to analyze, to summarize, etc), as the direct object.

OK, so it's archaic. So if I were editing that phrase I'd...not know what to do. But I'd change it anyway.

Ok, it’s that time of year when we are bombarded with all the Medicare open enrollment junk mail. And it coincides with all the political campaign junk mail.

Today I got a campaign mailing from a candidate that I didn’t recognize. She’s running for state representative and I know who the two candidates are for my district. She’s not one of them. So I looked her up and her district is in the Dayton and Kettering, Ohio area which is southwest Ohio. I’m outside of Akron, in northeast Ohio.

Somebody is wasting campaign money on the wrong mailing list.

Why is an investment account the default for Fidelity BillPay? I always use a cash account but the form was different this time, and I can't even cancel it! Hopefully it just won't go though because I'm paying again from my usual cash account.

Why is an investment account the default for Fidelity BillPay? I always use a cash account but the form was different this time, and I can't even cancel it! Hopefully it just won't go though because I'm paying again from my usual cash account.

Fidelity recently overhauled their Bill Pay section. Mine is still set on my cash mgt account, so I don't know why yours wouldn't be the same.

On par with the TV adverts they play for "sinus flushing machines" that remove "mucus"

Invariably played during the dinner hour...

:sick:

Or how about the sanding device for sloughing dead skin off your feet, that part where they empty the grindings into a trash can. Ewww.

The political ads go without saying, but the 42 square foot mailers are ridiculous. We have a large mailbox, but they still have to be folded in about 3 squares to fit; what a waste of paper.

On the same subject...door to door canvassing. We have be approached twice now while taking the dogs for their morning walk (and our cow dog is NOT a fan of them) and when we tell them that we aren't interested/already voted, both of them asked, "May we ask who you voted for?"...well yes, you can but no, we aren't telling you that.

Ear wax removal ads. Yuck, just yuck.
A new commercial recently is for Prostate restrictions. All through the commercial in the background (with sound) are running faucets, waterfalls, fire fighting boats with hoses at full blast, etc. I had to "make a visit" real quick.

Cheers!

Guests in my Airbnb who use silicone based lube and ruin my sheets. Grrrrr

Reading host blogs I found this was not all that uncommon.

Ok, it’s that time of year when we are bombarded with all the Medicare open enrollment junk mail. And it coincides with all the political campaign junk mail.
Don't forget to add a least a couple of

"I want to buy your house" post cards each week. Yesterday I got one for a property I don't own and never did!

Are these "I want to buy your house" postcards more specific to my area or is this nationwide?

I think I figured out something new about my body today. The raised section on the inside of each of my cheeks, which look like I bite them, probably comes from sleeping on the side of my face. It must cause my cheeks to squish between my teeth. I bet people with skinny cheeks or big boned faces don't get that.

Last edited:
My pet peeve is about cell phone makers stop pushing out system updates after about 3 years. This slows your phone down and apps slowly stop working. Newer apps may not even work at all. It's planned obsolescence so you need to spend mega bucks for a new phone.
Case in point: my android phone is running android 6.0. The current version is 10.0. When I check for updates, the reply is "no updates available". The phone still meets my limited needs, so I refuse to buy a new phone.

My pet peeve is about cell phone makers stop pushing out system updates after about 3 years. This slows your phone down and apps slowly stop working. Newer apps may not even work at all. It's planned obsolescence so you need to spend mega bucks for a new phone.
Case in point: my android phone is running android 6.0. The current version is 10.0. When I check for updates, the reply is "no updates available". The phone still meets my limited needs, so I refuse to buy a new phone.

If they didn't do that, they would never sell new phones and would be out of business! Then you would have to go back to a landline! :D

I think I figured out something new about my body today. The raised section on the inside of each of my cheeks, which look like I bite them, probably comes from sleeping on the side of my face. It must cause my cheeks to squish between my teeth. I bet people with skinny cheeks or big boned faces don't get that.

I know what you're talking about. One side gave me grief for several weeks because after getting a crown on back molar, I did keep biting that raised area while chewing food. Once bitten, it'd puff up more, making it more susceptible to another bite. Ouch! Not sure if they're from side sleeping though. I usually sleep on my right side, but there are raised areas on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom