• Independent

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters
Have Funds said:
An orange helmet...

Must be a Texas Longhorn!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hey! Lets keep this a friendly discussion!

(yakers, who would have preferred USC win and has generally kept a low profile on the subject and is getting really annoyed with some coworkers with strange accents who keep bringing it up.)

yakers said:
(yakers, ...who is getting really annoyed with some coworkers with strange accents...)

Yep, sum paypul shore tawk funny. Mebbe thistle hep yew auwt:

http://omni.cc.purdue.edu/~guzmanr/textalk.htm

img_354891_0_53ca4f9e0d7194006cc9de609d54fe99.gif

Maybe, but i'm right when I say that you're 99% BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

Hey...when'd we get a censor? ;)

Sorry for keeping it going,... spent the better part of the evening and early morning reading all 31 pages of the "Introduce yourself here" forum before finally venturing to another topic. I was surprised to see the "What's your political affiliation" forum and was curious to see it. Was wondering why it was on this site, when there are plenty of other sites that would be a better suited for this type of discusion.

After reading the all of the posts, I guess I got carried away with my emotions. Maybe because of how late, rather, early it was in the am. I'm sorry if my comments offended anyone. The hardest duty that I had to perform while on active duty was as a "C.A.C.O.", and everyday that I hear of another servicemember becoming a casualty of the war in Iraq, I feel it!

Sorry

Hodad, don't be sorry. Anyone reading or responding to the question 'what's your political affiliation?' has got to roll with the punches.  :)

Thank you for your service to our country. Though we have been through many "wars" in my lifetime, this is the only one I can recall where officers and soldiers alike have been as outspoken in their criticism. America needs to listen up! Far from being "anti-American" and anti-patriotic, the way certain news channels would like to smear any critic of either the 'war' (undeclared) or the current admin, you and your skeptical companions are the true patriots. You, not most of us, and certainly not the talking heads on Fox and CNN, know what is worth fighting for and what isn't.

Bush can dress up in all the flight suits he wants to, but he was still AWOL during Vietnam. Remember when Clinton was a "draft dodger?" You don't hear that phrase used so much anymore to describe Cheney, Rove, Limbaugh and the other go-go-gophers. Now they're muttering about Iran.  :(

An eye-opening list is here: http://www.bushliedagain.com/whoserved.html

A sad story is here: http://tinyurl.com/98k33.  Using body armor purchased at soldiers' own cost ($6k) "could" lead to disciplinary action and loss of death benefits. Is this a great country or what?

I started this thread because I view this board as one of maturity and experience. Obviously that doesn't translate into all things in life as we all have our strengths and weaknesses, but I'm never going to learn anything new without hearing the ideas of others.

I'm libertarian and I'm always curious as to the number of other libertarian folks out there. I like to hear what experiences shape people's political affiliations and what not. I've been tinkering with a why are you ______?(insert your political affiliation here with a rule that no one is allowed to challenge another persons thoughts/ideas/etc. in that thread to avoid any defensiveness.

TomSimpsonAZ said:
I started this thread because I view this board as one of maturity and experience. Obviously that doesn't translate into all things in life as we all have our strengths and weaknesses, but I'm never going to learn anything new without hearing the ideas of others.

I'm libertarian and I'm always curious as to the number of other libertarian folks out there. I like to hear what experiences shape people's political affiliations and what not. I've been tinkering with a why are you ______?(insert your political affiliation here with a rule that no one is allowed to challenge another persons thoughts/ideas/etc. in that thread to avoid any defensiveness.

Oh God, here we go again... :-\

Tom, with all due respect, your apparently well-intentioned curiosity is almost certainly going to end up in a name-calling donnybrook on the forum. As a guy with a BS in Political Science (talk about a prophetic oxymoron!!!), I'm affiliated with this forum to discuss FIRE and related topics. Yes, it is impossible to keep politics out of the conversation, but to have a separate thread on it is only inviting acrimony, just like the religion thread did a couple of months back.

I can't accurately predict the direction of the market or the economy, but I promise this thread topic will result in lurkers deciding not to join the forum and current posters deciding to go elsewhere.

Surely there are better forums to satisfy your political curiosity than this one.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I don't think I'm wrong about this.

TomSimpsonAZ said:
. . . with a rule that no one is allowed to challenge another persons thoughts/ideas/etc. in that thread to avoid any defensiveness.

Won't work. We don't have a "no one is allowed to challenge" rule here. We tend to challenge everything. Assumptions people make. Conclusions. Even whether a question is the right question.

REWahoo! said:
Oh God, here we go again... :-\

Tom, with all due respect, your apparently well-intentioned curiosity is almost certainly going to end up in a name-calling donnybrook on the forum.  As a guy with a BS in Political Science (talk about a prophetic oxymoron!!!), I'm affiliated with this forum to discuss FIRE and related topics.  Yes, it is impossible to keep politics out of the conversation, but to have a separate thread on it is only inviting acrimony, just like the religion thread did a couple of months back.

I can't accurately predict the direction of the market or the economy, but I promise this thread topic will result in lurkers deciding not to join the forum and current posters deciding to go elsewhere.

Surely there are better forums to satisfy your political curiosity than this one.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I don't think I'm wrong about this.

Is there a forum for fiscally conservative folks who want to discuss politics? If I was on a forum like that, I might discuss FIRE also. To me it is all a big cross-sectional analysis of people. Discussion of politics really doesn't offend me personally, but I do see a lot of people get into heated debates, but even those fascinate me. I just love to see people communicate and learn from them and/or the experience of talking to them.

A forum is generally started like a club, it is a bunch of people who have something in common, FIRE, cars, television, etc......if you only discussed the things you agreed on, you'd probably run out of things to talk about pretty quickly.

The discussion of what to discuss is one I enjoy too, I'm a little weird I guess.

Yea yea, 401k, IRA, save save save, gotcha ;)

TomSimpsonAZ said:
A forum is generally started like a club, it is a bunch of people who have something in common, FIRE, cars, television, etc......if you only discussed the things you agreed on, you'd probably run out of things to talk about pretty quickly.

I agree with you.

Have Funds said:
Anyone notice the Dems have the highest percentage...  :eek:

At first it surprised me to see there are more Ds than Rs since one would think, on average, Rs make more money than Ds and thus have more of a possibility to get to FIRE.

One possisible answer is that there are more people here who want to get to FIRE, and more of those people may tend to be D.  The people who actually got to FIRE may not have much need for this forum and more of those people may be Rs.

retire@40 said:
At first it surprised me to see there are more Ds than Rs since one would think, on average, Rs make more money than Ds and thus have more of a possibility to get to FIRE.

One possisible answer is that there are more people here who want to get to FIRE, and more of those people may tend to be D.  The people who actually got to FIRE may not have much need for this forum and more of those people may be Rs.

Yea, I was a bit amazed by the amount of Dems on this board. I wonder if they are all long time Dems or if some of them are short time Dems. Are some of the Dems temporary Dems because they didn't/don't like Bush? Who knows, I probably should have put a "switch back and forth from 2 or more parties depending on who is running" option.

I would consider this board fiscally conservative, something I relate to Republicans and Libertarians, so I kind of expected to see a larger percentage of those folks.....of course does being online change things? More Dems on the internet as a whole? Who the heck knows, it is fun to ponder.

retire@40 said:

Although on average this may be true, I think there are a lot of Democrats with a lot of money but, Hollywood types aside, they tend to keep a lower profile. I was thinking about this stereotype and had this thought: Maybe Dems buy into LBYM more and can see themselves living on less money in the future. I know that whenever I'm around people who have bought into the simplicity movements they seem to be all Dems.

TomSimpsonAZ said:
Are some of the Dems temporary Dems because they didn't/don't like Bush?

My guess is a Republican who is turned off by Bush may vote for a Dem, but would label himself/herself Independent.

shiny said:
Although on average this may be true,  I think there are a lot of Democrats with a lot of money but, Hollywood types aside, they tend to keep a lower profile.  I was thinking about this stereotype and had this thought:  Maybe Dems buy into LBYM more and can see themselves living on less money in the future.  I know that whenever I'm around people who have bought into the simplicity movements they seem to be all Dems.

My guess is a Republican who is turned off by Bush may vote for a Dem, but would label himself/herself Independent.

Those are some pretty good points to think about. Accurate statistics are so dependent on the quality(range,accuracy,whatever) of the sample you're getting from the population that you can never do much more than make a very loose generalization.

Yeah!

My unscientific guess is: us Dem's just like to jabber more.

Besides - I plan to desert all parties for curmudgeonland.

Not sure whether I need a certificate/license/degree - or just come out of the closet - hold a press conferance and hand out: :confused::confused:
Business cards?
or
Have some T- shirts made

Infomercial with a cd?

heh heh heh heh heh heh

unclemick2 said:
Yeah!

My unscientific guess is: us Dem's just like to jabber more.

Besides - I plan to desert all parties for curmudgeonland.

Not sure whether I need a certificate/license/degree - or just come out of the closet - hold a press conferance and hand out: :confused::confused:
         Business cards?
               or
         Have  some T- shirts made

Infomercial with a cd?

heh heh heh heh heh heh

Do they have any good actors or bodybuilders in carmudgeonland? If they don't you don't stand a chance :LOL:

Rats!

Just have to hire a spokesperson. Put the paid part in really fine print, etc.

:confused:?Young blond female from Missoula - wanting to get a start in acting:confused:?

heh heh heh (very old forum joke)

BTY - taking a break from 1099's on 42 DRIP stocks. I swear to cut back on div stocks every year about this time. This year-for sure!!!!

Back
Top Bottom