What kind of TV (and reception) do you have?

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
19 inch
RCA

First tier digital cable
(mainly for the Comedy Channel)

Hand me down VCR not used in several years
(think it got fried in last night wind/lightning)

Just dropped Dish, trying to decide whether to get cable. currently using rabbit ears.

yakers said:
Just dropped Dish, trying to decide whether to get cable. currently using rabbit ears.

Why'd you drop Dish? Their Family package gives us everything we want for $20/month. DIY network, Science Channel, and cartoons. What else do you need? :)

TVs are a couple of LCD panels with every imaginable gadget attached (including DVR, Media PC, DVD burner, HD antenna, FTA satellite), but our kid watches Blue's Clues about 20 minutes a day and that's about it....

Oh, and I finally got to play with a Wii the other day. Neat toy, but the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

I think ours is a 27" Phillips. It was given to us by my parents when they sold their vacation home along with all the furniture we currently have.

We don't have any paid tv services like cable or Dish, just Netflix and Spiritual Cinema Circle.

Got it all... Sorry... This is where we indulge a little.

55' Mitsubishi big screen (had for about 7 years). Rear projection (at the time Plasma cost about $10k)
Cheapy Onkyo surround sound
DVD, VCR, DVR, Digital Cable.
Stopped with the DVD rentals. Now just go to the library, they have a large offering (just need to wait for new releases).

Oh... I almost forgot. I built a room for it all. We have a walkout basement. When we sell the room can serve as a large bedroom, Den, or office.

I've been telling you that I over did the house thing a little. DW still gives me grief over it.

Well anyway... I'm livin' large in the TV department . Unfortunately, I have never calculated the cost per show :eek: :eek: :eek: I am sure it looks better than my decision to buy a boat back in the 80's. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

HD LCD Toshiba 32", digital reception from broadcast antenna 45 miles away is outstandng and free. We have to get a 50+" digital TV soon. They are getting to be so inexpensive nowadays.

27" Sony in living room.
19" Panasonic in bedroom.
13" RCA in kitchen.

All are older models and are not flat screen, but they all have good clear images.

Have excellent t.v. reception because I use Comcast for both Basic Cable Television Service and High Speed Internet. Combined bill for both of these services totals $98.68 per month. I think it's worth it.

40 inch Sony XBR Flat Panel LCD and we get our signal through Comcast. It costs us $70 a month which is far too much for what we watch.

27" RCA in spare bedroom (never used)
13" RCA in living room for daughter's Vsmile video game
32" Ilo (or something) in living room w/ basic cable attached.

The 32" also has an unhooked dvd player and vcr. And it has a hookup to my laptop/desktop media server where we play almost all our dvd's, movies, and tv shows from.

We use cable w/tivo

Just bought 3 tv's

2 32" LCD's
1 63" Plasama

50" Samsung DLP,DVD, VCR, Sony surround system in LR

13" Sanyo in BR

TW cable

32" Toshiba in LR (1998)
20" Sony in MBR (1987)
2 Digital Cable boxes
2 VCRs, 1 DVD player, 1 PVR
cable/internet $90/mo

saluki9 said:
40 inch Sony XBR Flat Panel LCD and we get our signal through Comcast. It costs us $70 a month which is far too much for what we watch.

Got the SAME TV.....except I get my digital signal free from an antenna............. :LOL: :LOL:

I am celebrating 20 YEARS WITHOUT CABLE!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :LOL:

42" Sony flat panel LCD
Time Warner Cable w/digital tier about $86 per month when we don't get a pay per view movie. The TV and Barnes and Noble pretty much provides my entertainment.

FinanceDude said:
Got the SAME TV.....except I get my digital signal free from an antenna............. :LOL: :LOL:

I tell you man, it's an awesome set. When I bought mine about 18 months ago they were going for $3400 and I was able to snag a floor model for $2700. I am so spoiled by it, the picture quality is great.

saluki9 said:
I tell you man, it's an awesome set. When I bought mine about 18 months ago they were going for $3400 and I was able to snag a floor model for $2700. I am so spoiled by it, the picture quality is great.

The picture is WAY UNDERRATED..........I got a buddy with a 46 inch DLP, my picture quality is better, and he's had to replace TWO bulbs under the warranty so far............. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sony took TWO extra years to jump in the game............but IMO they are far and away the best TV set today............. ;)

Since I had a 27 for 10 years, the 40's ALL I NEED for another ten years............ :D :D

I have a 2006 46" Sharp Aquos LCD. Great HD picture. But it is interesting how quickly the engineering magic for dealing with non-HD signals has advanced. This set does a tremendous job of stretching non-HD pictures to fit the wide screen. It looks almost as good as a standard format. Sets a couple of years older do not adjust the stretched picture nearly as well -- the distortion is very obvious.

all i have is a toshiba that sits on a low table and a remote that sits in my hand. i don't know what size it is. i never measured it, but i never received any complaints either. mostly i watch laying on my side so everyone on television is 90 degrees off angle. i'm afraid if i watch too much tv, the real world will seem off angle and i just couldn't cope with that.

reception sucks, probably because they've strung so much cable around here. i even tried one of those round boat antennas but it didn't help. so i had to purchase basic cable just to get local stations. what a rip.

A 32-inch Sony and DISH's Top 100 or whatever they've changed it to. Still cheaper than cable ...

Vizio 37" HDTV - Dish (non-HD channels) and OTA antenna in the attic for broadcast channels. I need to do some research on getting the HD Dish package. We have a DVD, VCR attached to the TV, but don't have a DVR. I think I might be the only person with a HDTV who doesn't have a DVR!

21" 1986-vintage JVC in the LR

13" GE in the basement.

Good 'ol fashioned over-the-air analog into rabbit ears. We're striving to be the last non-cable household that isn't drawing AFDC.

We have DirecTV with a basic / plus package of channels. We like the choice of Discovery Channels and science and tech stuff. We don't get any of the sports or movie packages. But we have 5 TVs and a TiVo so while the basic price is reasonable, having 5 TVs plus the Tivo really ups the cost. But it's really our only splurge on entertainment.

All our TVs are older units. I know the time will come when we will have to upgrade to one of the new HD LCDs, I'm just waiting a little longer. My son who works and lives at home has been asking when we are going to replace the LR TV with an HD unit. I said I'm in no big hurry, but if he'd like to buy one and keep it in my living room, I'll buy a stand and the cables for it and not charge him any storage fees.

We had cable TV for many years and the picture quality was just so bad. All the local channels had scrolling lines and one of the cable channels had interference from a nearby repeater antenna. When the kids were younger that repeater caused a houndstooth pattern all over Nickelodean. The cable company replaced the outside lines and rewired my whole house, and still they couldn't improve the picture so we changed to DirecTV.

I'd love to make the move to HD, but I'm afraid that if I got one, I'd get spoiled and want to change all of the TVs to HD.

50 inch Sony LCD projection (Grand Wega) and basic cable with HD option (13 channels but they all look sweet!).

16 y/o 25" RCA
secret basic cable plan: $10 per month

We'd like to get a 42" flat panel, HD, all that, but don't want to have to get a $60 cable bill. Also, Denver does not yet have broadcast channels in HD over the air and in any case, we are in a bad location for reception, would need quite a large roof antenna.

Possibly when the switch to digital is mandated then we can get our cheap cable plan and it will include all digital channels anyway, then we may make the tv purchase.

46" Sony 1080p LCD (KDL46V2500 if you must know).
Same panel as the XBR but slightly different electronics. Great picture with standard DVD's even.

No cable, no satellite, no rabbit ears even. Just movies on disc.

Back
Top Bottom