What kind of TV (and reception) do you have?

samclem said:
Good 'ol fashioned over-the-air analog into rabbit ears. We're striving to be the last non-cable household that isn't drawing AFDC.

You'd be surprised/disturbed at just how many of my TANF (new name for AFDC) clients had cable...

or maybe not. *sigh*

No, I would not be surprised. I dealt with SSI claimants and most of them had higher cable bills than I did, cell phones before I did and call waiting also. When they would get angry, they would tell me they were going to call their lawyer. I still don't have a lawyer!

I have dish network and use a local antena to get the HD locals. I have a 52" JVC HD-ILA and a 37" lcd. Both are great!

43" Hitachi rear projection built into the wall. DirecTV / Cable for locals and 2 Tivo's churning away. I test HD cable every year when they offer me a promo for a month. I can hardly tell the difference between HD and my satellite reception, so I return the promo converter every year.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
i don't know what size it is. i never measured it, but i never received any complaints either.

We are talking about your "TV", right? :p

32" Panasonic CRT in the livingroom, 20" in the familyroom. The livingroom one is on its second remote control (thank goodness these things can be found over the Internet).

Seven pawnshop VCRs and one really cheap DVD player.

Oceanic Cable's hardware isn't very good on our street. The connection is wet, it floods out with every rainstorm, and the higher freqs are terribly grainy above Ch59. I finally went to DSL because I was tired of being treated like an idiot child every time the RoadRunner signal sputtered out.

We ordered rock-bottom lowest-level service-- broadcast channels and one or two "others". They screwed up the filters, gave us the one-step-up $45/month service for $12/month, and didn't figure it out for three years. Now I'm really looking forward to ala carte pricing.

While I can happily plug away at the monitor of our computer desk for an entire morning, or spend the entire day reading a book, I can't sit in my recliner and watch TV for as long as 30 minutes. Even when I have a tape that I want to watch I won't "find" the time to do so for weeks. All of my maintenance & repair services are for family harmony but our kid is rapidly gaining her own tech skills.

My PILs were happy with Dish but I'm not sure what it takes to simultaneously record a half-dozen channels. That's also holding me back from DVRs, as well as the realization that I just don't need more infrastructure to maintain.

Our kid has her own Netflix subscription. Parents, you should strongly consider this for your tween & teen daughters. (I can see where a guy could stray from the path of righteousness, but our daughter is almost Puritanical in her self-censoring.) We're not pestered to go to the video store or the library anymore, she doesn't live her life by the TV schedule or race around during commercial breaks, she doesn't go crazy waiting for the next big Hollywood movie release, and there are no late fees or deadlines. She just gets a red envelope in the mail every couple days and I'm fascinated by the depth & breadth of her eclectic selections.

Of course I wouldn't give a preschooler unlimited access to Barney & Blue's Clues. Life would lose all meaning...

42" Hitachi plasma HDTV in the den
19" el-cheapo RCA old tube TV in the bedroom

Bare bones basic cable TV

I don't get the HDTV signal yet (LBYM until ER; maybe then). It remains to be seen whether or not my vision is good enough to appreciate HDTV. I love the vivid and realistic colors of this TV, though.

1992 Panasonic downstairs
1986 Sony upstairs
1999 Samsung in office

All rabbit ears.

15 yr old 32" SONY tube
8 yr old 27" Samsung tube
Comcast extended basic cable (with internet)
No TV's in the kids rooms, just computers ;)
Looked at all the new stuff but not motivated enough yet

19 inch Broksonic TV/VCR combo
free DTV reception

Was happy until away out of town at a friend's -- couldn't watch football game from my city.

So this past weekend, decided to get a DTVpal DVR and Slingbox. Finally got the Slingbox to work after several days :D. So now, I can "watch" my tv when out of town and through my computer monitor, oh, and also through the TV tube too ;)

Pioneer plasma and a few lcd's with directv at house
Smaller Pioneer plasma with cable at condo

Reception is about the same

Just upgraded from my friends old 15" to my friends old 25" in my bedroom.
Old 27" in living room.

Cable (extended, no premium) bundled with internet

I have a circa 1995 26" TV with a digital converter that takes its signal from a roof mounted antenna. This spring I had the chimney rebuilt and they offered to cart off the antenna. It didn't occur to them that I still use it. :LOL:

Second TV in spare bedroom is a similar vintage 20' that uses a digital antenna made from coat hangers.

Panasonic 42" plasma TV in the living room
GE 20" tube TV in the bedroom

Knology expanded basic channels plus premium movie channels

We have a puppet stage, and DW and I take turns acting out the news and Gilligan's Island reruns.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom