What New Mattress

DrRoy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We expect to change to a king bed sometime this year. From what I have read, the best choice for a mattress may be one of the online ones, like Casper, Leesa, or Tuft & Needle. I am reluctant to get one that I have not tried. There do not seem to be any to demo where I live. How have people done with these?

You won’t find many of the online only mattresses anywhere you can test drive. It appears they rely on long trial periods of 100-120 days, free (or $99) returns and very competitive prices. I read the return rate is 7% for online mattresses vs 2.5% for brick-n-mortar. We just ordered a Saatva, our first online mattress.

Several/many here have had good experiences with various online brands http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/ever-bought-a-bed-in-a-box-online-only-98047.html

There are also many mattress review channels on YouTube as you probably know like https://youtu.be/vcMZVRaPfFU and https://youtu.be/pqmOODOEoVQ to help guide you on firmness, motion transfer, temperature, sink, etc. and what’s best for side, back and stomach sleepers or heavy vs light sleepers. I found them helpful.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Buying a mattress is a royal pain in the neck with the same mattresses having different labels/ticking from different stores with different pricing. Testing on a mattress is pretty useless. It takes several weeks (at least) to "test drive" a mattress to know if it will give you a restful night sleep. By then you have already spent the money. It's a crap shoot.
After going through a few mattress over the years I finally opted for a king size, thick (14"), latex mattress with memory foam top purchased at Costco since I could always return it. Used the memory foam side for a couple of years then flipped it over to try just the latex side for more firmness. It isn't perfect but I liked it better that way. About 8-9 years so far and no change/sagging etc. All previous spring mattresses changed and dagger in a couple of years.

Cheers!

My wife had to get an adjustable bed due to having a reflux problem, and we found the least expensive bed at BedInABox.com. Their memory foam mattresses are also superior, and a conventional mattress won't work on the adjustable bed. Even though she's had surgery for her problem, she still loves sleeping with her shoulders slightly elevated. Others with high quality memory foam mattresses seem to like them.

I just prefer a pillowtop Beautyrest with a thick mattress topper. Good enough for me.

We just ordered a Saatva, our first online mattress.

Have you received the mattress yet? If so, do you like it and, how was the delivery experience? We have a mattress and box spring combination currently. I’m assuming the box spring stays as the foundation. Do you know if that’s a good assumption?

We have a good memory foam - like it a lot.

We have a sleep number bed. It has pros and cons, just like everything else in life.

Before we bought it, we found a hotel that had them in at least a few of the guest rooms. Don't recall which hotel it was. We did a mini-vacation mainly to spend a night or two at the hotel to give the bed a try. The ability to give the bed a real test for a couple of nights was very helpful.

We have a sleep number bed. It has pros and cons, just like everything else in life.

Before we bought it, we found a hotel that had them in at least a few of the guest rooms. Don't recall which hotel it was. We did a mini-vacation mainly to spend a night or two at the hotel to give the bed a try. The ability to give the bed a real test for a couple of nights was very helpful.
The OP asked about online mattress companies, isn’t Sleep Number primarily brick-n-mortar?

Mostly / all-foam mattresses (which far as I know is what the online sellers are selling), did not work for us - they don't in our experience have anywhere near the support of a "traditional" (spring) mattress and actual spring (not just wood platform) box spring..

We bought and returned multiple mattresses over the course of about 18 months trying to find something that wouldn't kill our backs, including several that were mostly or all foam - even Latex which is supposed to be one of the better material options.

I know a lot of people like and are OK with the mostly/all-foam mattresses, but you might want to compare against traditional mattresses also. Those are unfortunately getting really hard to find.

A great resource for mattress info including independent reviews and discussion forums is http://www.mattressunderground.com. I just did a quick search and there were quite a few hits on the online mattress companies. We actually learned on this site to go to a small independent manufacturer and LOVE our mattress - it's the old style, flippable that are rare as a purple unicorn nowadays. Have had it for 10+ years and it's still going strong with no indents or other issues.

Good luck..one of the toughest things ever to buy.

Last edited:
We had a water bed and eventually it leaked. the mattress size was between a queen and a king. We ended up having a local company custom make the mattress and opted for xtra springs, especially around the edges. Cost was similar to $1200 mattress but much sturdier. That was 20 years ago, still use the mattress every night. :)

No sleep number has a few stores but much more online. They deliver it to your house. We have a King for the past 14 years. They have a 20 year depreciating warranty. The pump went out at year 7 and they sent us a new one for 77. People that buy queen don’t like them. My guess is because each person adjusts their own side for firmness and that isn’t enough space.

If you're not familiar with sleeping on foam you should be aware that foam is warmer than conventional mattresses. You might find yoruself turning down the thermostat to compensate.

We got the Purple mattress after buying and returning (with no issues) another online brand.

I could sleep on anything but DW is chemically sensitive and a mattress purchase is one of the most frightening she can make. Can't do foam or latex.

Has worked out really well. I think she was sleeping on it after it out-gassed for a week.

And it is the most comfortable mattress I have experienced. Highly recommend.

Bought this one off Amazon about a month ago. Hybrid of inner spring and memory foam with gel. Ridiculously cheap for what it is.

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Gel-In...mattress&qid=1560877135&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

Pretty happy so far. It is our first memory foam mattress and will echo the sentiment that it sleeps hotter.

Was a little leary about getting an internet mattress too. But for 300 odd bucks it was a worthy gamble (that turned out).

If you're not familiar with sleeping on foam you should be aware that foam is warmer than conventional mattresses. You might find yoruself turning down the thermostat to compensate.

When we switched from a conventional mattress to a Sleep Number almost 2 years ago, I found this to be true the first several weeks. Then my body seemed to 'adjust' and I now find no difference between the foam and regular mattresses.

Have you received the mattress yet? If so, do you like it and, how was the delivery experience? We have a mattress and box spring combination currently. I’m assuming the box spring stays as the foundation. Do you know if that’s a good assumption?

I've had a Saatva mattress "Plush Soft- Cal King" for about two years now and very happy with it. A solid foundation is needed, I built one on my bed using plywood over the slats. An existing box spring foundation should serve the same purpose. No issues with delivery, they come and set it up on your bed and believe they will take away the old one if you want (I kept mine).

Last edited:

+1. We have a foam topper on top of a $1200 Euro Pillowtop. Although we stored it straight up for a year and feel that screwed up the springs. It's got it's use over 10 years old and we are ready for a new one. Flipping is only a temp fix now.

We have had a tuff and needles for about three years. I like a pillow top, so we added a topper to it. We are happy with it.

Sometimes ya gotta spin the wheel. We took a $400 risk on a well-reviewed memory foam one from Amazon, and won. Really like it. Survived a year plus in hot storage also. For the price I figure I can replace every year compared to purchase vice longevity on my last coil one from a store

there is a store here in the twin cities called the sleep sherpa. they have most of the online mattresses on display to test out. if you find one you like they may either have it in stock or can order it for you at the same or better price advertised on line. they must have some arrangement with the mattress companies. very convenient.

No sleep number has a few stores but much more online. They deliver it to your house. We have a King for the past 14 years. They have a 20 year depreciating warranty. The pump went out at year 7 and they sent us a new one for 77. People that buy queen don’t like them. My guess is because each person adjusts their own side for firmness and that isn’t enough space.

They have some stores, but also sell online and over the phone.
There are several Sleep Number stores near me, and it would appear they have a substantial brick-n-mortar presence with 594 stores in the USA - unlike what most people consider “bed in a box” online mattress sellers with few if any stores.

Attachments

• 03FA7A58-53EE-4303-AC38-CAA9A63EEAE6.jpg
    03FA7A58-53EE-4303-AC38-CAA9A63EEAE6.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 64
My DW is very picky about having a soft, but not too soft, mattress. We sort of figured out that a decent conventional mattress set works fine. We just top it with 3 to 4 inches of good memory foam, with a good cover on top of that. This can be done way under a grand for a King.

Back
Top Bottom