What We’re Smoking (or Grilling, or Curing)!

Sounds great!

I’ve had good luck with smoked turkey breast. Always yummy.

This year I brined and smoked a whole turkey. It was fabulous! I’ll definitely do that again and I don’t wait until November.

I occasionally see plate ribs at Costco. HEB also occasionally carries them. They call them dino ribs. You can search on heb.com. Looks like my regular HEB store has them right now in whole plate form and they’re prime grade.

Last edited:
I occasionally see plate ribs at Costco. HEB also occasionally carries them. They call them dino ribs. You can search on heb.com. Looks like my regular HEB store has them right now and they’re prime grade.

Thanks, we have several large H.E.B.'s in the area. I'll go there after XMAS as the stores are madhouses now.

The heb.com website is very reliable in terms of what is in stock. Put in your preferred store. Search on “Dino Ribs”. They will tell you if it’s in stock and where in the store. If that store doesn’t have it they will show the nearest stores that do. Very handy!

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpeg
    IMG_1936.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The heb.com app is very reliable in terms of what is in stock. Put in your preferred store. Search on “Dino Ribs”. They will tell you if it’s in stock and where in the store. If that store doesn’t have it they will show the nearest stores that do. Very handy!

Thanks.:cool:

I meant the HEB website. You don’t have to use their app even or sign in.

Prime Rib Roast on the smoker!

Attachments

• IMG_4894.jpeg
    IMG_4894.jpeg
    556.3 KB · Views: 5
audrey1--that is going to be delicious!
I have prime rib to cook for tomorrow, but have to do tin the oven. It is too cold to run the smoker here in the winter, it doesn't work well in 30 degree weather.

We live in a warm part of the country, so I get to use the smoker all winter. It’s prime outdoor cooking season for me.

I put it in early because after noon our winds are supposed to ramp up to 17mph, north wind. Regardless the high today is supposed to reach 80.

Sounds great!

I’ve had good luck with smoked turkey breast. Always yummy.

This year I brined and smoked a whole turkey. It was fabulous! I’ll definitely do that again and I don’t wait until November.

Sadly, I won't get to eat any of the turkey breast I just smoked. I have developed a pretty bad cold over the last couple days, which I surely caught from the young wife who had it last week. It's not Covid (we both tested), but the in-laws' Christmas plans include my 87 year old mother-in-law and our 4 month old great niece, and no respiratory ailment would be good for either of them. So we thought it would be wise if I stayed home while she drives down alone to her sister's house in PA. I'll have to run to the store to get some food for the next two days.

Sadly, I won't get to eat any of the turkey breast I just smoked. I have developed a pretty bad cold over the last couple days, which I surely caught from the young wife who had it last week. It's not Covid (we both tested), but the in-laws' Christmas plans include my 87 year old mother-in-law and our 4 month old great niece, and no respiratory ailment would be good for either of them. So we thought it would be wise if I stayed home while she drives down alone to her sister's house in PA. I'll have to run to the store to get some food for the next two days.

Wait a minute! What about all the food you canned this Fall? :D

Prime rib looks good!

Cured and smoked two pork bellies this week. All my favorite people (and dogs) got bacon for Christmas.

3-2-1 Ribs

^Yeah my dog LOVES when I get the smoker out!
Here a belated pic from Christmas Day. Came out delish.

Attachments

• 20231225_125210.jpg
    20231225_125210.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Wow, any one of you ever smoked one of these!?

I’m not sure I can resist.

I recently made some HEB center cut beef shanks Osso Buco style in the Instant Pot and it came out great.

Attachments

• IMG_2189.jpeg
    IMG_2189.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2193.jpeg
    IMG_2193.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thanks to both of you! Good watching on this almost freezing day. I love the bearded Butchers too.

Already watched the Big Swede BBQ one.

I also found this:

Last edited:
Another absolutely wonderful Heritage Pork Shoulder from the BGE today. So much more flavorful than anything I can get from local supermarkets, and well worth the money.

I find that the meats I get from places like Dartagnan and similar websites are actually bargains when I consider that I can cook them just about as well as a good restaurant would, and pay a small fraction of what they would charge.

Having dined superbly at great restaurants in Europe, I can understand why they buy the best they can get and prepare the food with great care. No reason I can't do the same at home. So I have completely changed my attitude and no longer shy away from paying for great ingredients. YOLO!

Back
Top Bottom