What would you do if..........

I would sell my house and then ask calmloki if I can have that apartment he evicted the methheads from and see if he'll cut me a deal on rent if I keep the common areas clean. And I'd turn my old car into a chicken coop, too :)

That one's rented - how 'bout the one with the 22 YO young lady that called me (after getting back from the bar) at 1:30AM to complain that her downstairs neighbor was complaining to her that she was being too noisy? She may just be moving on soon...

This seems to be a sore spot with you...;)
Ya think? :2funny:

What I'm really sore at are the circumstances (and entities) which led to the all-out job search not beginning in earnest until the economy fell off a cliff and nothing was left. But that's another story for another time. :)

That one's rented - how 'bout the one with the 22 YO young lady that called me (after getting back from the bar) at 1:30AM to complain that her downstairs neighbor was complaining to her that she was being too noisy? She may just be moving on soon...

I was thinking about trying my hand at slumlording again...until this post...and I remembered why I got out in the first place.:(

If I got the boot today, we could make it work. My swr would be closer to 4% than my target in the low 3.x% range, but we would survive. Only open question would be health insurance. It would be much harder to get if disabled than if just unemployed.

R

I'm betting 60/40 that this is about to happen to me. Megacorp is rumored to be planning a massive layoff, and having just moved to a new, small department, I am not as secure as some others.

That said, I knew the job was dangerous when I took it! If I get the axe I'm going to pay off the house (assuming I don't get it refinanced in time, which is in process), take in two college-student roommates, go to the UC Berkeley campus every day and audit classes until I find something to float my boat for the rest of my life.

I don't think I can live forever without working, but I can take a few years off and retool for something I'd really love to do.

Plan B, if Plan A doesn't result in a new career: Rent the whole house, join the Peace Corps (yes, I'm serious), and / or work every summer in the national parks until I'm old enough for Medicare.

Got my fingers crossed!

My Brother went thru this..
He got SSD & Medicare Ins., His Wife Works and makes about $40k yr and since they had a 15 yr Mortgage and it's paid off, they get by fine..

He used to make about $50k yr, net about $30k after taxes , Health Ins. and other Job Costs, his SSD? $28k yr.. so not much difference now..

She has Health Ins thru her Job for yrs..

So, IAD..ItAllDepends

Care of her Mom 1100 miles away would get more tricky, as would her very part time job at the dealership that gives us a place to buy group health insurance.

Calmloki,
I'm enjoying reading all the post on this thread but something in this caught my eye. I'm always interested in how I will get and pay for health insurance after FIRE. So how does this work? Her Mom works and you get coverage how? I'm obviously missing something here but didn't know it was possible to get group coverage this way.
Thanks for pointers on this,
Steve

Calmloki,
I'm enjoying reading all the post on this thread but something in this caught my eye. I'm always interested in how I will get and pay for health insurance after FIRE. So how does this work? Her Mom works and you get coverage how? I'm obviously missing something here but didn't know it was possible to get group coverage this way.
Thanks for pointers on this,
Steve

Poorly said on my part Steve - my gal works part time at the dealership and cares for her Mom 1100 miles away. By dint of my gal's work i get group coverage through her - all we have to do is pay for it.

Job loss is very unlikely due to nature of electric utility work and current shortage of skilled workers in the industry.

If I did something illegal and could not work in the industry at all, my retirement planning worries would be over because DW would kill me :bat:

If disabled, I have long term disability plus DW's part time salary, so we could get by O.K. Might have to take a study course with unclemick on the finer points of cheap bastardhood :D

Poorly said on my part Steve - my gal works part time at the dealership and cares for her Mom 1100 miles away. By dint of my gal's work i get group coverage through her - all we have to do is pay for it.

Thanks for clearing it up.
But I was looking for a magical solution to getting health care coverage.
On second thought maybe you gave me one.
Talk the wife into keeping on keeping on.
That would probably have to be renegotiated every 28 days though. :rolleyes:
Thanks,
Steve

"What do I do when lightning strikes me
What have I got to do
What have I got to do ... "
Elton John

I am glad I do not have to ponder the answer to the OP question. I already do not have a job, thank goodness.

Back
Top Bottom