What would you do ?

haha gave a great answer.

I'd quit work, obviously. Marry my boyfriend. Somehow manage to be in the same geographical area as my parents and my brother (who live on opposite sides of the country, with me in the middle).

I wouldn't want to cram my last days full, but there are a lot of things I would really want to do...several places I'd want to travel to, to be able to experience as much of the world as possible.

I wonder if the answer to this question depends to some extent on age? I would think that younger people might feel more compelled to rack up life experiences that they're going to miss out on, while older folks might be a bit more laid back about that and choose to live their last months more quietly.

I wouldn't go sky-diving, though.

I would immediately stop studying for the CFA exam that's for sure. Ah, wait, I feel a back ache coming on.

I would immediately stop studying for the CFA exam that's for sure. Ah, wait, I feel a back ache coming on.

You mean your eyes haven't gooten worse and you have't gained 10 pounds? Time to hit the books! ;)

marigoldcreek, huh? a 300-unit retirement community for gay & lesbians. lets see that's 600 people who don't want to have sex with each other. not my idea of fun. just what is the advantage of such arrangements, sharing the houseboy? no thank you.

i do like the gay assisted living facility, however. i can't imagine how horrible it will be to have to go back into the closet when alzheimer's hits. another good reason to keep my rat poison handy. as a good friend of a cousin of mine says: when i can no longer wipe my own butt, just drop some rat poison on the floor; i'll find my way to it.

also glad the op was only scared and not forewarned. also agree many given the luxury of advanced notice will be spending most of their time & effort on the dying process, or fighting it.

as to me, i don't think i would try to temporarily improve my lot in life. i think i would go on as i've been. say a few goodbyes and then work more intensely on my dreaming so that i might pass consciously into the night. i retired early so that i would have the opportunity to travel and to see just where it is i've been. but when it is time to take my final leave, i like to think that i will be satisfied with what i have, rather than spending time trying to fit in a lot of last minute packing.

marigoldcreek, huh? a 300-unit retirement community for gay & lesbians. lets see that's 600 people who don't want to have sex with each other. not my idea of fun. just what is the advantage of such arrangements, sharing the houseboy? no thank you.

Hey, how is it different from a straight retirement community?

Oh, and if you end up with alzheimer's, I wouldn't worry about the closet thing. You won't remember, and neither will any of your fellows.

i suppose no difference. how tragic. think i'll keep myself out in the general community for as long as possible.

when i was younger and vulnerable i had to hide being gay. now, of course, i'm strong and butch and i can protect myself without hiding.

my issue with having alzheimer's and being gay and stuck in a non-gay-exclusive retirement home is that i might not have enough wits about me to hide like i did when i was younger. certainly i won't have the strength i have now. as well, alzheimer's often lowers inhibitions which help self-control behavior. meanwhile, most caregivers are new immigrants who often are even more homophobic than americans. none of that playing well to my favor.

I used to LBYM before my health scare - which turned out ok. Now I spend like crazy in good health knowing things can change at any time.

For me there would be no travel, no jumping from a bridge with a rubber band attached to my feet, and no blowing my money for the heck of it. I would off course stop working but I would want to spend the rest of my days on this earth enjoying the company of my wife, family, friends and of our two cats. Like a true epicurian, I would want to spend my last days enjoying all the pleasurable things life has to offer, a real orgy of the senses so to speak. I would want to eat good food, drink good wine, watch beautiful sunsets, and off course love and be loved... In other words I want to do all the things I do now, but more so with the appreciation of someone who knows the journey is about to end.

I recently had a health scare everything turned out fine but it got me thinking . If you found out you had a serious health issue that could possibly be fatal what would you do differently ? Would you continue to LBYM or would you rachet up your fun spending ? Besides financially what would you do ? Around the world cruise ? Or just continue life as you've been living it ?

In my case I was told at age 30 I had one year to live unless I had a heart catheterization. After an uncomfortable few months leading up to the procedure, the issue was solved, and six years have now passed.

That experience changed me in a lot of ways. Caused me to finally grow-up. But, I've simply continued in my LBYM ways. In fact, I got more serious about it, as I realized I want to provide for my family if something else comes up.

Even if the catheter hadn't worked, or if something else happened and my time was limited, I can't picture changing much now. I live my life in a manner that I thoroughly enjoy, have a great family and do work that I find both enjoyable and important.

First, I am very glad that you are OK!

Here is what I would do. I would hug more, kiss more, and tell more people more about how much they mean to me.

I would be sure to see what was before me, hear what was falling on my ears, and notice the air on my skin, the pavement under my feet, and the sky above my head.

That is what I would do.

Ha

I love that. Although, that's just what I would do I couldn't have articulated it as well as you have. Ha, thanks. That's lovely.

I'm going to be leaving kids behind, so I'd certainly double check that all the wills and preparation are going to work the way I intend. Maybe I take a couple low cost vacations to spend a bit more time with them while I can. Stop work (don't need to fund a long retirement). Keep LBYM. There's nothing I can spend money on that's more important than using the remaining time wisely. I can see wishing for experiences or time with loved ones.

Back
Top Bottom