What you have is what you get for COBRA? What about travelers?

spncity

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If you can help, please comment.

Question # 1 - Would this be true: You have your employer's HMO insurance plan (slightly less expensive and no "out-of-network" coverage) - so that is what will be available to you through COBRA when you quit. You can't upgrade to the PPO version at the time you quit because it's not open enrollment.

Question # 2 - Would this be true: Your first year of RE you plan to travel around the country, so it would be better to have the employer's PPO plan (with typical 80% out-of-network coverage after deductible) - again obtained through COBRA - so better get signed up for the PPO version now during open enrollment...?

Question # 3 - Any recommendations concerning an ACA product / plan for a healthy couple who will be traveling the US "nearly" full-time (Are these the "multi-state" plans?) and who can pay OOP for doctor visits and maximums, thus would consider choosing a very low premium product in hopes of having a good year. (income makes subsidy [-]likely[/-] possible).

Kindest regards.

At least in California, Questions 1 and 2 are TRUE. We examined the available plans in view of retirement, and switched to our preferred choice for COBRA use during the last open enrollment period.

I don't have any multi-state recommendations.

A PPO will offer non-emergency out of network coverage, which the HMO will not cover, but usually requires a separate deductible. You still need to look at the network of doctors and hospitals, it may be limited to local or regional health care service providers.

The multi-state option does not refer to network, it refers to a policy that has the same terms and conditions among the different states where it is offered. This is of interest to employers that want to offer one policy to employees across the country.

Some of the large insurers offer PPO policies that have large national networks. BCBS for sure, and has been discussed often in the healthcare threads.

The employer plan is CareFirst Administrators (CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield National Provider Network - the BlueCard).

I just got my hands on the info (from spouse's employer).

The booklet states that at least 88% of the professional providers and 99% of the institutional providers in the United States are part of the Blue Networks. And their "finder" can be used to locate in-network doctors or facilities in Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and outside of the U.S.

So, maybe I'm in less of a quandary since at least the EPO (cheaper version - only covers in-network) is part of this big blue network.....?

Thanks for any comments.

Back
Top Bottom