Whatcha gonna do if ACA goes away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please stop talking politics right after saying you're not talking politics. lol

The ACA should be around through the END of 2025 at least, as I mentioned in the other thread linked to.

Can't see the ACA going away. However this is my last year before Medicare.
Have you gone through the Firecalc retirement calculator, as well as other ones?
Perhaps look at all your costs holistically and you will probably see that from a financial perspective you can retire now, ACA or not.

Threads merged.

<mod note> Please leave politics out of this discussion.

The bigger issue is access to health insurance. After 20 years in private practice, a friend of mine had to shut his practice down and become an employed physician. Why? He had Type 1 diabetes and suddenly his health insurer refused to cover him and any of his employees anymore. Out of the blue. So several people lost their jobs. Even before the ACA, premiums were jumping radically year after year.

We also forget many of the provisions in the ACA: Full coverage of vaccines, well adult and well child visits, screening mammograms and colonoscopies as well as screening labs, such as fasting glucose and lipid panels. Contraception and Pap smears. That all goes away.

Another important provision was to set a limit on insurance company administrative costs at 20% of premium revenue.

Last, lifetime limits on medical expenditures went away with the ACA. This is a big deal for people born with major congenital issues, such as congenital heart defects, cystic fibrosis, biliary atresia (requiring a liver transplant at a very young age).Or the extreme preterm infant who is in the neonatal ICU for several months, and who may have long term problems such as partial blindness, lung damage, short gut syndrome, etc. It is wrong to "punish" people who were born with major problems.

Please stop talking politics right after saying you're not talking politics. lol

The ACA should be around through the END of 2025 at least, as I mentioned in the other thread linked to.

If this comment was addressed to me, I consider “talking politics” to be expressing political views one way or another, which I don’t believe I did. I simply brought up something that could potentially happen; something that could lead to what this thread is all about, which is the dissolution of the ACA.

If this comment was addressed to me, I consider “talking politics” to be expressing political views one way or another, which I don’t believe I did. I simply brought up something that could potentially happen; something that could lead to what this thread is all about, which is the dissolution of the ACA.
It was political, but your post has been edited to clean that up.

Last edited:
Keep in mind as you decide where to live is that not all "ACA" plans are equal. They vary literally county-to-county. The county I live in only has three possible providers and a handful of plans, and one of the providers is thought to be on the brink of pulling out of our state (Colorado) altogether, as several have recently.

I know there was fear that there would end up being places where no ACA provider would exist, does anyone know if that has ever happened?

Keep in mind as you decide where to live is that not all "ACA" plans are equal. They vary literally county-to-county. The county I live in only has three possible providers and a handful of plans, and one of the providers is thought to be on the brink of pulling out of our state (Colorado) altogether, as several have recently.

I know there was fear that there would end up being places where no ACA provider would exist, does anyone know if that has ever happened?
We have 2 providers. One has only PPO plans and the other has only POS plans. I don't know if any counties anywhere ended up without insurance providers but remember years back it being a concern.

Last edited:
In Florida in general, there are typically many choices of providers for ACA type insurance.

In 2018 Blue Cross said they would not be providing ACA insurance in Georgia. This put the state in a bad place as Blue Cross had been the only provider in many parts of the state. After some negotiations and arm -twisting Blue Cross agreed to provide ACA insurance but only in the areas which would otherwise have had not providers.

Our area of Georgia (northeast Atlanta suburb) had at last count 37 ACA plans and every single one was an HMO, many of them narrow network.

While I don’t think ACA going away is probable, I think the chances are higher than some may think. If it does go away, I’m not going to assume there will be a plan B in place. That would be logical but that’s not the way things work these days.

In 5 years I’ll be eligible for Medicare and for now we are on wife’s benefit as she is still working, and then 18 months of cobra if she were to leave.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4535502-senate-republicans-trump-obamacare-repeal/

Senate Republicans are burying former President Trump’s call to take another shot at repealing the Affordable Care Act if Republicans regain control of the White House and Senate next year. ...

Republican senators say while they would support reforms to reduce health care costs, Trump’s call to repeal ObamaCare is tone-deaf.

“People have moved to a different place,” Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) said. “If you were to walk into the room and say my No. 1 priority is to repeal and replace ObamaCare, I think you’re going to have half the people say, ‘What? Why? Huh?’

“It is not the rallying cry it once was,” she said. “Let’s not walk that plank again.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom