What's the temperature where you are?

All the way up to 14, heading to 19. Two more days till I leave for a month.
IMG_0713.JPG

69 and cloudy this morning, but I hear it may go up to 70 later. For the next 6 months, the temp does not fluctuate to much and will stay between 70-75 for the most part. But when winter comes roaring in around June the temps can get into the low 60's for months on end.

-17 in St. Paul MN when I went to exercise class this morning. A bit nippy.

39F mid-morning in metro ATL. While it is supposed to warm up to 48 this PM, it looks like we are heading into a 10-day period of pretty cold weather (for us) with lows in the 20s or even teens. (I know - same artic front that is impacting many of us in N.A.)

I still read this thread despite knowing I can find out the weather elsewhere easily. As we all know, weather is a lubricant for light conversation, even on a message board. I consider this more of a "check in" thread as opposed to a weather discussion. YMMV.

Oh man it's 26 in South Jersey. Brr...
Little to chilly to ride my bike ☹️

This is a La Niña year, so the winter is warmer and wetter than typical. Mid 40s right now, but feels like 50s, even with the misty breeze.

It was -35C (-31F) this morning with a -46C (-51F) wind chill.

Do I win a prize for being the coldest? :LOL:

Here is one theory of why the cold spells have been colder and last longer :

from the article: "Here's what scientists involved in the research think is happening: The evidence is clear that the Arctic has been warming faster than the rest of the planet. That warming is reducing the amount of Arctic sea ice, allowing more heat to escape from the ocean. The scientists think that the ocean energy that is being released is causing a weakening of the polar vortex winds over the Arctic, which normally keep cold air centered over the polar region. That weakening is then allowing cold polar air to slip southward more often.

"Some other scientists aren't as sure that melting sea ice affects the polar vortex so strongly. They think other factors, like long-term variations in sea surface temperatures like El Niño, and changes in the tropics, might play bigger roles."

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/...-change?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Or, we're heading for another mini ice age:

"The Earth could be headed for a 'mini ice age' researchers have warned.

A new study claims to have cracked predicting solar cycles - and says that between 2020 and 2030 solar cycles will cancel each other out.

This, they say, will lead to a phenomenon known as the 'Maunder minimum' - which has previously been known as a mini ice age when it hit between 1646 and 1715, even causing London's River Thames to freeze over.

Predictions from the model suggest that solar activity will fall by 60 per cent during the 2030s to conditions last seen during the 'mini ice age' that began in 1645, according to the results presented by Prof Valentina Zharkova at the National Astronomy Meeting in Llandudno"

Is a mini ICE AGE on the way? Scientists warn the sun will 'go to sleep' in 2020 | Daily Mail Online

We are in Santa Clara, CA visiting SIL & husband. 50's here an cool at night. Just like home in Texas.

Mid-40's north of Charlotte. Sunny and pleasant, so heading out with the mutt shortly for a 30 min walk.

For those of you that cannot imagine this temperature, here is how to (somewhat) duplicate it.

Go to a local restaurant with a walk-in freezer. The walk-in freezers are typically -10 degrees or so. We are colder than that. Then, bring a fan into the freezer with you.

I thought you were getting out of dodge for the MN winter?

-14 right now in Vermont. Expecting -23 next week!!!
Can’t wait to spend winters in FL[emoji41]

S. Fla, in the dead of winter now: Will barely break over 72, bright and sunny, no clouds or rain all day. Gonna be like this most of the week.

This is the weather that makes the hurricanes almost worth it!

14 deg. F
Sounds a lot warmer than Vermont!

11 this morning Penn/Delaware border - 2 cold pooch walks already.. Doubt I’ll go for an exercise walk today..

Doubt ill stay up until midnight ... every party needs a pooper and Im the one.

Last edited:
-10F actual temperature, wind chill is -28F, on my way outdoors to shovel snow. I hate Iowa winters.

It’s cold, okay? Trending down to a few degrees below and with the wind, will literally take your breath away! DH is already complaining about how he wishes we had not come here 3 months ago...is it gonna be like this every winter?

14 degrees in NYC. That's about 20 degrees below average I think. On New Years day two years ago I ran into the Atlantic Ocean at Coney Island with a wild & crazy group called the polar bears & the temperature was a balmy 40 degrees. Didn't realize how lucky that was! Wonderful experience but I'm glad I wasn't planning to do it this year.

Back to reality for us. Just ended our Caribbean cruise, and we're headed home to New Jersey where wind chill expected to be -1F. Yikes.

Back
Top Bottom