Which Garmin?

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Let's get this out of the way: yes, I know I can use navigation on my phone. This is one of my few luddite hangovers.

I have a 2014 vehicle with 60K miles on it, and no plans to upgrade for a few more years. It's in great shape (knock on wood). However, the maps are out of date and the dealer wants $400 to update it. :facepalm:

We are friends with a couple that work at Garmin, and can get us one for 45% off.

Anyone have a Garmin they love (or hate)? All I have to do is give her a model # and credit card # and it's mine. I just don't know which one to pick.

Thanks in advance!

I also don't care to use my phone for in-car navigation. My current vehicle has built-in navigation which is fine. But if it didn't, I would also buy an external device. In fact, I have a Garmin that I use when I have rental cars and travel. I love it.

Their car-based device list isn't that complex really. Given the 45% discount, I would get the best one they have. Looks like that would be the Garmin DriveSmart 65 and Traffic. List price shows as $269.99. I'm pretty certain that is the one I have although mine is now 2 years old, so they may have updated it some.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/612620/pn/010-02038-02

Edited to add: I now see that a couple of the options on that page are selectable and yield a different price. Personally, I don't see a need for Alexa integration. And I don't want a backup camera capability, which, I think requires additional wiring and a camera to the back of the vehicle. Too messy for me. I would just get the regular 6.95" screen with Traffic support and skip the other options. Unless you see a need for them. The traffic feature is useful and it seems to work decently.

Last edited:
When I was still using those, I really liked the Nuvi series. Looks like the Drive 52 is the current equivalent.

I agree, I’d get the top of the line. The ability to navigate around traffic issues is great to have. And, it doesn’t look like you need a subscription for it to function. My last Garmin, I made sure to get lifetime map updates. Basically, I’d get the best one that they have where I didn’t have to pay any ongoing costs to operate.

Check the online forums for your type of car, because there is probably a very cheap way to solve the problem yourself.

My 2020 car has a GPS built in, but to add the functionality, the dealer wanted about $500, which would bring in the maps and directions with voice-instructions. I found a SD card on e-bay for about $30 that did the same thing. Just inserted the card, and voila!

OK, you made me look. (I use Copilot on my phone)

I would go with the biggest available screen. For navigation, IMO not much else matters. The nice thing about a Garmin (and Copilot) is that the maps are all in the device; you have no need to rely on a possibly-flaky or nonexistent cell connection in order to navigate.

I also see that they offer a wireless backup camera option. Look hard at this; I thought it was the silliest thing I had ever heard of until I got a car that has it. Rarely have I been so vehemently wrong about something; now I wouldn't be without it and am wondering about retrofitting it to my 2007 Nissan pickup. I don't think you'll regret adding this feature.

For a while they offered "lifetime maps." Then the clarification came: "Lifetime" is the lifetime of the device as determined by Garmin. Not your lifetime. So they can cut off the lifetime maps whenever they choose to do so. I don't know if that is still the situation or not, but caveat emptor.

I’m still using a nuvi 3590LMT that I bought in 2014 (along with a beanbag mount for the dash). It’s worked flawlessly although for some reason the map updates take a long time. I added a separate memory card for map storage.

I think the Drive model mentioned above is closest and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one if needed.

DW has had a Garmin Nuvi in her 2012 Acura since she got it. She likes it better than my in dash Navs in my F-150 and Jeep.

Primarily use our car's built in system in DW's new car. I use my phone in my car (2007). Typically carry an old GPS when we road trip. Have been in a few places with no cell coverage. Big Bend State and National parks come to mind. Maps are clearly out of date on our old GPS, but it works great for the rare instances we need it.

I still use a relic from the past. A Garmin Nuvi 260.

Tiny screen, no real bells and whistles but still gets the job done for me getting from point A to point B.

The only feature which I wish it had is a better detour option. My old original Street Pilot (brick looking one) gave an option to choose a detour of how many miles which was nice so the GPS doesn't steer me back to the route I wanted to detour away from. Say, if an expressway ramp is closed.

For a while they offered "lifetime maps." Then the clarification came: "Lifetime" is the lifetime of the device as determined by Garmin. Not your lifetime. So they can cut off the lifetime maps whenever they choose to do so. I don't know if that is still the situation or not, but caveat emptor.

I've had my Garmin for about 8 years and just updated the maps for the 2nd time this year. So far so good.

+1 on not needing a cell connection. I had to reroute on some country roads due to an major accident and there was no cell service for about 90 minutes until I finally made it back to civilization

I've had a Nuvi 40 with lifetime map updates since 2012 and swear by (and sometimes at) it. drive back/forth NY/AZ every year along with several side trips from each. favorite function is it telling me beforehand which lane to be in after making a move. helps so much going thru cities with multiple interstate connections. least favorite is hearing it say (in TX) "in 400 mi, take ramp to right" aarrggh

We still have two Garmin 255SLT models that have to be ~ten years old, work fine and updated about six months ago. Even if we got cut off from updates tomorrow I'll think we got our nickel's worth. Here in WV cell phone coverage is spotty to say the least so there's no way I'd rely on cell phone coverage.

I’ve owned several Garmin GPS units for boating and driving, and they were great! But I can’t imagine using a standalone GPS now with the map apps available on smartphones. Google, Apple and other map apps maps are always way more current than built in NAV systems.

For a Garmin GPS, I just looked at the Garmin site and it appears there aren’t many models of auto GPS anymore - and to update the maps you need Garmin Express on a PC/Mac, download updates and plug your Garmin in to update. I use Garmin Express to update courses on my golf watch AND UPDATES ARE RIDICULOUSLY SLOW, ABOUT 30 MINUTES. No thanks for me…

My phone will detect and route me around slow-downs in real time. It'll also warn me of speed traps (although usually, just a second too late for me to do anything, which is OK because I'm rarely speeding much anyway.) It's always current with new roads, changes and construction slow-downs and closures.

It can also download offline maps for a region I plan to travel through.

The last stand-alone GPS I bought for the car was a TomTom. I did get lifetime map updates, but it's been years since I took it out of the drawer at home.

I still use a Garmin GPS. Features I'd look for are large screen, traffic, lifetime maps and mounting that is compatible with your state laws and your vehicle. I suction cup mine to my windshield.

To close the loop, we went with the Garmin Drive Smart 65 & Traffic and love it. Thanks all for the input.

Back
Top Bottom