Which joint flex supplement works?

vafoodie

Recycles dryer sheets
Umpteen ads for some product during A Christmas Carol has me wondering which product really works. I'm 61 and am feeling increasingly sore in different places.

1) Grass Fed Collagen Peptide powder works well (Orgain or Vita brand) ... all pills are useless.

If you already have joint pains (like knee pain), you need to take 20g collagen daily for like 1 year to feel your knee become painless again. Works well for DW and me. Joints are highly improved now.

The most immediate effect of collagen is better skin tone and thicker hair. The collagen build up around your joins will take months.

2) Alkaline Water - Your body becomes highly Acidic with meat and stuff, and high acidity eats into your joints/bones. Too much Acid in your system can thin and wore out joint. Alkaline Water will neutralize excess acidity. Get 9.5 - 10.0 Alkaline water and drink it everyday. Less acid, less joint/bone loss.

Five years ago I could barely get up from a chair without pain and was getting steroid injections in my right knee every three months. The orthopedist told me I was "bone on bone" and it was just a matter of time.

I started taking Cosamin DS daily because I had seen what Cosequin had done for my German Shepherd years earlier. I take it religiously and haven't needed a steroid injection in 4 years.

Attachments

• crystal Rx.png
    crystal Rx.png
    468.2 KB · Views: 37
None. Eat balanced, exercise gently.

Thirty years ago I listen to Dr. Dean Edell on the radio, his life was reading research papers, his take was that there were no papers that showed good success with this Glucosamine and Condroitin,
Since then there is some research papers showing positive results.
Mayo Says this,

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-glucosamine/art-20362874
Although I don't read this a glowing endorsement, it is positive.
Both docs in the practice I go to have mentioned Tumeric when I was have knee problems. Apparently Tumeric needs an oil to be absorbed well. Which leads to this study, (I wish they had tested Glucosamine separately.)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25555891/

It tests Meriva and Glucosamine, Meriva contains curcamin. It looks like Meriva is Tumeric mixed with lecithin for good absorption. Tumeric has the curcumin in it.
Then there is this article, Re: Glucosamine and Condroitin + more.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28790224/

Note the similar articles at the end of the paper, of additional research, which I have not yet read. EDIT: I read some of them, not looking good for Glucosamine and Condroitin, but MSM and boswellic acids did show positive results.

My wife has endorsed Glucosamine and Condroitin for years, I have not jumped on her bandwagon, because of Dr. Dean's comments 30 years ago, and now that I read those articles I doubt I will start. I have knee pain after a 3 week stint helping rehabbing a house. They have much improved over the last two months, but still some pain here and there. I just switched my Tumeric supplement to a Meriva type. I picked the "curcumin (turmeric extract) bound to phosphatidylcholine for increased absorption" Jarrow brand. FWIW

Last edited:
CBD creme has helped my knees. My 90 year old mother uses it for her hips and hand joints. She was having to use a splint on her hand because of arthritis but after a few weeks of CBD creme on her hand no more splint. It has been at least a year since she had to use her splint.

Anecdotes abound. Ask your doctor this question, not SGOTI.

NSAIDS, CBD/THC cream help tremendously for me.
I also have been taking daily glucosamine/MSM/condroitin or bio flex, (whatever is on sale) for several years.

Another option is to use a warm knee sleeve to keep it warm. If I take a shower and go out w/ out my knee warmer it complaints right away.

I used glucosamine for a while (several months long trials over a few years) and thought I had some success, but in the end it wasn't the answer for me. Since the problem was in my knees, I did the program at Total Knee Health after I wasn't impressed with my Physical Therapist. Since I do have patellar tendonitis, that program was especially helpful, but in the end, not enough, even with a steroid shot.

What has worked best so far is a much reduced activity level. I used to enjoy hiking a lot (moderate hikes in the woods on trails), but thats not part of my life anymore. I use a knee strap whenever there is a flare up, and just realize that rest is the mandated treatment.

I expect I'll be in the knee replacement group later in life, but hopefully not for another decade at least.

So, it can be a long slog to find out what "works." Be persistent, patient, eat a good diet, give yourself enough rest, and be willing to try the various methods to get your mobility back up. Good Luck!

Anecdotes abound. Ask your doctor this question, not SGOTI.

I'm willing to bet if you ask 10 doctors this question you'll get 15 different answers.

Regarding glucosamine, it may not help the knees but...
Association of habitual glucosamine use with risk of cardiovascular disease: prospective study in UK Biobank

Conclusion Habitual use of glucosamine supplement to relieve osteoarthritis pain might also be related to lower risks of CVD events.

Myself: I take glucosamine/MSM from Costco and do barbell squats a couple of times a week. Keeps my knees in good shape.

Last edited:
Best thing for my knees is to cut WAY WAY back on sugar. If I eat too much, which I did recently, I get a tremendous flareup. I take Glucosamine daily, but not sure that it does anything. Currently icing several times a day. Epsom salt baths. Then Voltaren gel which is new to me and not sure that it is helping or not. I use Aleve or Advil sometimes, but they are hard on my gut.

2) Alkaline Water - Your body becomes highly Acidic with meat and stuff, and high acidity eats into your joints/bones. Too much Acid in your system can thin and wore out joint. Alkaline Water will neutralize excess acidity. Get 9.5 - 10.0 Alkaline water and drink it everyday. Less acid, less joint/bone loss.

You do now that your stomach is basically an acid bath. Your stomach secretes hydrochloric acid (a very strong acid) to help digest your food and kill most of bacteria you consume.

As this very acid mixture leaves the stomach, it is naturally buffered by pancreatic sodium-bicarbonate so as not to damage your intestine.

Drinking some alkaline water isn’t going to have much affect in that environment. And certainly won’t change the pH of your joints.

If you are taking acid reducers (like omeprazole) your will have a much less acid stomach. But this won’t affect your blood pH either.

Blood pH is usually usually tightly regulated at between 7.35 and 7.45.

I've never had luck with any suppliment other than Vitamin D. And that is only in the late Fall to early spring. The rest of the time sunlight is adequate.

Joint supplements were a waste of money.

i do the glucosamine chondroitin MSM supplement and turmeric for my end-stage ankle arthritis and my knees.

Seems to help and there is some decent medical backup.

And of course NSAIDS as I stay active with hiking walking biking etc and not willing to give that up.

My Mom with arthritis absolutely swore by Glucosamine Chondroitin. I should probably start taking it…

G&C didn't work for me except to give me gas. I don't mean to be too negative. It is worth a shot. If it works for someone, they should continue with it.

I used glucosamine for a while (several months long trials over a few years) and thought I had some success, but in the end it wasn't the answer for me. Since the problem was in my knees, I did the program at Total Knee Health after I wasn't impressed with my Physical Therapist. Since I do have patellar tendonitis, that program was especially helpful, but in the end, not enough, even with a steroid shot.

What has worked best so far is a much reduced activity level. I used to enjoy hiking a lot (moderate hikes in the woods on trails), but thats not part of my life anymore. I use a knee strap whenever there is a flare up, and just realize that rest is the mandated treatment.

I expect I'll be in the knee replacement group later in life, but hopefully not for another decade at least.

So, it can be a long slog to find out what "works." Be persistent, patient, eat a good diet, give yourself enough rest, and be willing to try the various methods to get your mobility back up. Good Luck!

My DH age 70 had TKR last spring on his right knee and he is like a new person. His recovery was pretty fast. In a couple of months he was back walking a mile or so every day. Now he is back hiking, going up and down steps without holding on, dancing, golfing. So don't put off the TKR if that is what you really need.

CBD oil for me, sublingually. I haven't taken Advil, etc. since I started the CBD 2 years ago.

Over the past few decades, I have used many types of lubricants for my left knee including chondroitin, glucosamine chondroitin and even hyaluronic acid injections and I think the placebo effect was responsible for any feelings of relief I experienced. I say this because over time, even when taking these medications, the pain and discomfort always returned. I finally decided to get the knee replaced and now my discomfort is gone. So maybe taking supplements is a less invasive way to buy time before accepting the fact that as we age, our body begins to wear out and the parts need to be replaced, if possible.

DW had her second TKR in September and is pretty much back to a much improved normal. It's opened the door to activities in the coming months that would have been nearly impossible before.

Back
Top Bottom