Who is FIRE'd outside the U.S.?

Trek

Full time employment: Posting here.
The latest post from the Welshman in Germany got me wondering how many members we have that permanently reside outside the U.S. Thought it might be interesting to see a list. So post up where you live!

Me:

I live in Estonia.
(Ma elan Eestis.)

estonia.gif

Estonia_flag.html

How 'bout making this a poll? Then you can keep track of the responses.
Also, are you interested in who is overseas because they've always been there, or who is ex-patriate/RE overseas? (or both?)

Me.
Abito in Italia.
it.gif

How 'bout making this a poll? Then you can keep track of the responses.
Also, are you interested in who is overseas because they've always been there, or who is ex-patriate/RE overseas? (or both?)

Crap, a poll would have been a great idea, but I can't figure out how to do that (or if you even can) via advanced edit? Oh well. Just whoever is ER'd and lives outside the U.S. More about location than anything I suppose. Though people can feel free to elaborate on their circumstance if they wish.

We are planning on living winters in PV MX when 91yo MIL is no longer living on her own. Will travel in spring and summer April thru Oct. Probably we'll visit Ladelfina and some others who post here.

US citizen by birth, Canadian by choice.

Just semi-retired to British Columbia...eligible for provincial medicare on Thursday. Cost $96 a month for two people. Moving to Canada moved up my ER date by about five years, since we're saving about $5K per year in health insurance costs.

Those of you that have retired away from Home (the US or Canada)... Do you intend to remain there for good? Or do you intend to return to the US or Canada after a few years?

In otherwords, is the relo a temporary move?

i'm considering ages 50-55 living in the states, touring this continent during summer months. ages 55-65 overseas, mostly in developing countries or maybe europe if the exchange rate happens to change towards my favor during that time. then 65 onward possibly back in the states if i haven't taken to living overseas.

but then, i also have four other plans i'm considering so really i have no idea what i'm doing, what i will be doing and i'm a little foggy on what i've done.

I need to remain in Canada for 3 years to be eligible to apply for citizenship. Once I have dual US/Canadian citizenship, I can stay in whichever country I like for as long or as little as I please.

Just finished reading "The Border Guide" by Robert Keats, which goes into detail (almost excruciatingly so) about the advantages/disadvantages of living on each side of the border. All you have to consider is estate planning, currency risk, retirement plans, social programs, health care, cost of living, tax rates, and the weather. Easy as pie.

Right now we're liking Canada better, even though it costs maybe 5% more to live here. Taxes, food and utilities are all higher than the States, but medical insurance is much lower.

Once we're 65 and eligible for Medicare, we may spend 7-8 months in Canada and 4-5 months in the sunny Southwest US since we won't have to buy travel insurance.

US citizen by birth, Canadian by choice.

Just semi-retired to British Columbia...eligible for provincial medicare on Thursday. Cost $96 a month for two people. Moving to Canada moved up my ER date by about five years, since we're saving about $5K per year in health insurance costs.

I thought you could not retire in canada from the states?

I thought you could not retire in canada from the states?

Strictly speaking, that is correct. Canada no longer has an immigration class for retirees, although I understand that they did some years ago. I got my status under the Skilled Worker immigration class, based on their point system. See Immigrating to Canada

I barely scored enough points to get in, based on my college degree, fluency in English, work history, and being under 50 years old. There's a self test you can take at the site referenced above that would give you an idea of your chances. Or if you have close relatives living there, you can have them sponsor you under the Family class.

Those of you that have retired away from Home (the US or Canada)... Do you intend to remain there for good? Or do you intend to return to the US or Canada after a few years?

In otherwords, is the relo a temporary move?

I received Estonian citizenship and intend to live here permanently.

Back
Top Bottom