Why are older Americans drinking so much

They make some really good non alcoholic beers and I love beer so I have one every evening while I watch the news. They used to be awful but now you can’t tell the difference with many of them like Athletic Brewing Company and Laquita’s. Obviously there’s a demand otherwise breweries wouldn’t bother making them.
I actually saw a news story (on TV I think) that people are drinking less alcohol and that there are more non-alcohol drinking establishments.

It's funny. I drank quite a bit of beer when I was younger, but it was because of the alcohol, not because I thought it tasted good. The non-alcohol beer wouldn't do it for me, but I tried one about 10 years ago. I'll just stick to some traditional non-alcoholic drink if I'm wanting to avoid alcohol, which I mostly do now.

Thinking back, I know I used to wish I liked the taste of beer better, but in hindsight, it's probably best that I didn't because I drank too much as it was. :LOL:

Last edited:
I actually saw a news story (on TV I think) that people are drinking less alcohol and that there are more non-alcohol drinking establishments.

It's funny. I drank quite a bit of beer when I was younger, but it was because of the alcohol, not because I thought it tasted good. The non-alcohol beer wouldn't do it for me, but I tried one about 10 years ago. I'll just stick to some traditional non-alcoholic drink if I'm wanting to avoid alcohol, which I mostly do now.

I tried a well known non-alcoholic beer. Not so good. I drink milk and water mostly. On special occasions I'll have something on tap like Guinness.

I volunteer at the local senior center. From what I can tell, there are a lot of lonely seniors out there who either don't have family or the family is far, far away. Thankfully, the senior center provides a safe place they can go and have some human companionship.

But, on the weekends it's closed. I bet that's when they are more prone to over doing alcohol. Years ago I was a member of a church that literally gave over it's entire physical plant to AA on Saturday night. That's when the people (mostly men) needed the support to avoid hitting the bottle again.

Last edited:
I tried a well known non-alcoholic beer. Not so good. I drink milk and water mostly. On special occasions I'll have something on tap like Guinness.
Yeah, I drink milk and water a lot these days, some diet pop (but really cut down), very rarely some wine, decaf coffee or tea in the morning. But I don't drink bottled water.

The headline, "Why are Older Americans Drinking So Much" is classic clickbait. It assumes a conclusion. Notice the title is not, "Are Older Americans Drinking So Much?"

+1

I was hoping for some statistics showing that age vs age comparisons = today's seniors consuming more alcohol per capita than earlier generations. But nothing really........ As you say, just clickbait and an invitation for folks to give testimonials.........

Last edited:
DH’s father - that generation I remember routinely hitting the hard liquor - Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr, etc.
That's my memory of the WWII generation, men drinking like it was their job. I don't think that their children are matching that particular achievement in retirement.

Less consumption in retirement.

Cannot remember the last time I had a rye soda. Beer in the summer. Occasionally one on a hot day. We have a case of hard liquer and liquers that has hardly been opened for 15 years.

Red wine most days. Small pour. I go through 2 bottles a week on average. That can someimes include DW using some in cooking.

But....DW was away for six weeks earlier this year. I did notice that my consumption went up slightly.

Had a full health physcial/work up a few months ago. No issues. Thankfully.

I sometimes wonder if this is in any way hereditary. My father retired at 59 and lived a full life unitl 87. He had one glass of red wine every day during retirement. He very seldom bothered with anything else.

Last edited:
What is too much? 2 x 6oz glasses of wine? 3 or 4 maybe?

An official serving of wine is 5 oz. So in general for women up to 1 x 5oz glass a day and men up to 2 x 5oz glasses a day. Beyond that is too much according to many sources.

Last edited:
That would be analogous to expecting Olympic athletes to set new world records in their 60s.

No, not at all. The article was about Why are Older Americans (specifically age 65 and older) drinking so much. There was no comparison to how much they drank when they were in their 20's.

The point of the article is that this particular age cohort of older Americans is having more alcohol-related incidents today than the same age cohort of older Americans was having in the years before.

Yes, that was the point of the article. Could you please show me from the article where it actually proved that was happening?

Another anecdote: DH ALWAYS enjoyed a nightcap of gin. We were together for 20 years before he died and I never once saw him visibly intoxicated. He kept a prescription bottle from cough medicine that he filled with gin so he could take it on planes (well, airlines charge a lot for alcohol). After he had stents input and had to spend the night in the hospital, I asked the doctor if it was OK to bring him a little gin. The doc said yes. DH had brightened up considerably by the end of my visit that night!

I do believe there's addictive body chemistry. DH didn't have it. He quit smoking cold turkey after 40 years. He had a creaky back and would get opioids but after one or two doses alleviated the pain he was done- he didn't like the side effects. I know others have had different experiences.

Last edited:
It's extremely difficult for me, as I adore wine. I don't have any medical or addiction concerns - would only have a glass or two at most, but have still essentially cut it out now, other than a few times a year, in exchange for hopefully better health as I age.

But I didn't drink it for the "buzz" - couldn't care less about the alcohol. It's the pairing of a wine with food - the TASTE of that combination that I love.

They've made some great N/A beers, but still haven't really developed a good tasting white or red wine (unless someone here tells me differently?)

Surprised at the number of comments saying that non-alcoholic beers are pretty good. I’d like to know which ones are good. Personally, I always like a wheat beer. Wouldn’t mind trying one of them in NA form.

DH’s father - that generation I remember routinely hitting the hard liquor - Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr, etc.

Yep, my folks had a drink every night with dinner, lots of beer when younger, but hard liquor as they aged.

Surprised at the number of comments saying that non-alcoholic beers are pretty good. I’d like to know which ones are good. Personally, I always like a wheat beer. Wouldn’t mind trying one of them in NA form.

Allagash White is a great tasting wheat beer, but is alcoholic.

Another anecdote: DH ALWAYS enjoyed a nightcap of gin. We were together for 20 years before he died and I never once saw him visibly intoxicated. He kept a prescription bottle from cough medicine that he filled with gin so he could take in on planes (well, airlines charge a lot for alcohol). After he had stents input and had to spend the night in the hospital, I asked the doctor if it was OK to bring him a little gin. The doc said yes. DH had brightened up considerably by the end of my visit that night!

I do believe there's addictive body chemistry. DH didn't have it. He quit smoking cold turkey after 40 years. He had a creaky back and would get opioids but after one or two doses alleviated the pain he was done- he didn't like the side effects. I know others have had different experiences.

Gin is good stuff, correct.
I suspect you are close to right about addictive chemistry or tendencies. Some folks just can't stop boozing while others can say: okay, that's my last drink for today...

Athletic Brewing Company and Laquita Brewing make a variety of NA beers that taste like the alcoholic beer. When I drank I loved craft beers and these 2 breweries have mastered the NA version.

It's extremely difficult for me, as I adore wine. I don't have any medical or addiction concerns - would only have a glass or two at most, but have still essentially cut it out now, other than a few times a year, in exchange for hopefully better health as I age.
(snip)

I also enjoy a glass or two of wine or beer. Well before retirement, I gave up drinking any quantities that make me feel like crap the next day or any extra trips to the bathroom interrupting sleep.

I've seen many different outcomes from people who drank or didn't drink that I'm not going to give up something that I like for the chance that I might live another year or two or not.

How can we have our nightly Family Cocktail Hour without a Martini or Old Fashioned (and cashews)? TV off, Classical Music on.

And who says we're drinking too much anyway?! Mind your own damn business and get off my lawn!

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder if this is in any way hereditary. My father retired at 59 and lived a full life unitl 87. He had one glass of red wine every day during retirement. He very seldom bothered with anything else.

Knew an old lady who took a shot of Averna every night at bed time. She lived to be 101. Someone once said "Maybe she'd have lived longer without that shot", to which I answered "But why would you want to?"

I drank more than my fair share of alcohol from age 16 to 49. Quit completely for a couple of years and now I will have wine every 3-5 months at big family gatherings or when travelling (just drank some Chianti in Chianti for example).

Now when I do indulge I realize how poorly I sleep and how tired and worn out I feel the next day.

My bottom line is that there are plenty of seniors out there who are eating and/or drinking themselves into poor health and/or reduced lifespans.

And making all the excuses one can imagine for doing it.

Last edited:
This is not a new subject. Dave Barry's "Stay Fit and Healthy Until You're Dead" book (yes, it's a parody) was published in 1985.

Back
Top Bottom