Why I don't like direct debit

All my bills are on auto-pay using cash-back credit cards. For most of the bills, I get an email several days before the charge with a link to the online bill. For the CCs themselves, I use my bank's bill pay service after validating all charges on the statement.

I've thought about using direct bank debit to auto-pay the CCs. I review all CC transactions online at least weekly. So by the time I review the statement, it's already been validated once. For those of you who auto-pay with CCs, how do you pay the CC itself?

My kids will be here and so will my sister. But I'm not sure it's safe to transfer to their addresses, they both live in an apartment and that means they have small mailboxes. I need to check into this further. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

When we went away for 9 weeks last summer I had my sister come by once a week and sort through the mail. It was nice that she could alert us if there were any letters/bills we hadn't planned on. Turns out there were a couple relating to MIL. (DH is her guardian)... He was able to direct a sibling to pay the bill.

While she was checking on our place she could confirm no pipes had burst and the house hadn't fallen down.

All my bills are on auto-pay using cash-back credit cards. For most of the bills, I get an email several days before the charge with a link to the online bill. For the CCs themselves, I use my bank's bill pay service after validating all charges on the statement.

I've thought about using direct bank debit to auto-pay the CCs. I review all CC transactions online at least weekly. So by the time I review the statement, it's already been validated once. For those of you who auto-pay with CCs, how do you pay the CC itself?

I use the bank's ebill feature where I can. The CC company notifies the bank of the bill, and then I have the bank automatically pay the balance on the statement 1 day before due date.

For others I enter that same information after I review the statement.

If I have anyone doing automatic withdraws from my checking account, the day I cancel the service I call my bank and tell them to block all ACH transfers from whatever company. That way the company can send me a final bill, and I don't have to worry about them accidentally trying to keep charging me.

I have found that if company isn't good at refunding you the money they owe from charging your account even after cancelling service, you can find their corporate HQ number online. From there it's usually a matter of guessing if they have a 3 or 4 digit extension system. Typing a few random numbers in can get you in touch with someone even if their system is built to try to give customers the runaround. They really, really don't like when you find that out. And even less when you start giving out that information on their Facebook page.

I have found that if company isn't good at refunding you the money they owe from charging your account even after cancelling service, you can find their corporate HQ number online.
When MIL died, we closed the account that was being charged, and advised the Cable TV Co of the last date that service would be paid. When subsequent monthly charges bounced, they turned it over to collections, who tracked us down. We gave them the address of the graveyard.

I have one CC with a 0% balance transfer that's on auto pay. The main reason is so I won't lose the 0% if I miss a payment. The rest of my CC which includes auto-pays, I authorize a bank debit through the CC. One thing I've changed since we earn little to none on held cash, is to pay the CC once funds are available versus waiting until the due date. With all the fraud going on, I try to keep my checking balance low in case of fraudulent debits.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My BCBS insurance no longer takes CC payments beginning in June. There goes my hefty cashback bonus :mad:.

So looks like choices are autopay (which I won't sign up for), debit card, or old fashioned paper check.

Back
Top Bottom