Windows Vista Anti virus

Corporateburnout

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a laptop that runs Vista with Mcafee's one month free trial anti virus that is due to expire in a week or so. I use the free version of AOL security center on my Desktop with Windows XP but their vista version is not available yet neither is Verizon's. I would rather not pay the annual subscription fee hoping the AOL version will be available soon.

For people with machines that runs Vista what are you using for anti virus software?

You can get another free 90 days from Microsoft for their version, if you can make up your mind soon.

I am not using Vista... But I would advise you to use a good firewall ( or at least the one provided with windows). Plus a good anri-virus program including anti-spyware. Otherwise stay off the internet. Plus, if you are using a wireless router, secure it with a strong password and encrypt the connection.

I take an extra precaution with files. I do not keep sensitive files (i.e., financial/personal info) stored on my PC. I keep them on a seperate thumb drive. I only connect it when needed. I back the thumb drive up on CD.

mickj said:
You can get another free 90 days from Microsoft for their version, if you can make up your mind soon.

I did not know that Microsoft offered an anti virus software. I know they offer a firewall and spyware protection with Vista but not an anti virus.

Did you mean the McAfee software installed on Vista has an additional 90 days free trial?

chinaco said:
I am not using Vista... But I would advise you to use a good firewall ( or at least the one provided with windows). Plus a good anri-virus program including anti-spyware. Otherwise stay off the internet. Plus, if you are using a wireless router, secure it with a strong password and encrypt the connection.

I take an extra precaution with files. I do not keep sensitive files (i.e., financial/personal info) stored on my PC. I keep them on a seperate thumb drive. I only connect it when needed. I back the thumb drive up on CD.

I would never use the internet if I am not 100% protected and if I can't find a free version I will then pay the annual subscription. BTW My wireless router is encrypted and my financial software as well as my critical data is always backed up on flash drives.

My included McAfee subsription expired and I am planning to use Avast. I believe that I read it is Vista certified. Avast is a good free anti-virus app.

I can't imagine any of the major anti-virus companies not having vista compliant versions by now. I have moved down the food chain in AV software because the majors (mcafee and norton) were so invasive that I ended up turning them off to keep the machine responsive. I currently use CA, which seems less invasive and can be had for almost nothing with rebates.

kumquat said:
I've been using the free vesrion of AVG anti-virus for years. V7.5 is supposed to work with Vista. Go to http://free.grisoft.com/doc/avg-anti-virus-free/lng/us/tpl/v5

Yup. The gal is running version 7.5.446 of AVG on her Vista machine - it knows she's running Vista and is working without issues. AVG is good stuff, we've used it for years.

Vista, OTOH, is currently in Beta as far as I'm concerned. She is running the Home Premium version cause she wanted the media center stuff - then discovered that you can't fax from Home Premium - you need to upgrade to Business Super Ultimate Deluxe Special for over a $100 more. After about 4 days of fighting and searching she found "Snappy Fax" for $30-$39 with a free 30 day trial. Seems to work, but come on Microsoft - what's with killing a function that's been in how many of the last Windows versions?

Edit - that's 7.5.446, not 7.4.446. oops.

Hot tip: If you're upgrading an older version of Windows to Vista, uninstall your virus scanner first and reinstall it afterwards. Especially if it's AVG. Apparently AVG's license key is tied to the windows key which changes when you upgrade.

Corporateburnout said:
For people with machines that runs Vista what are you using for anti virus software?

Linux.

No, seriously. I dual boot Vista and Ubuntu Linux, using the former only for particular applications that require it, but not doing anything sensitive on it. Most of my time is spent on the Linux side, including mail and web browsing. If a file needs to be transferred between the two operating systems, it goes via removable memory stick.

AVAST! (think it was the first one that did work with the Beta versions of Vista), is free, and works just fine. COMODO is a very good (FREE) firewall that works with VISTA too.

bpp said:
Linux.

No, seriously. I dual boot Vista and Ubuntu Linux, using the former only for particular applications that require it, but not doing anything sensitive on it. Most of my time is spent on the Linux side, including mail and web browsing. If a file needs to be transferred between the two operating systems, it goes via removable memory stick.
Hey is there an easy graphical tool in desktop Ubuntu to set permissions to allow telnet in from other computers on the home network? I have tweaked the config files by hand in Fedora many times but it has been a while so I will have to wrack my brain a bit to do it in Ubuntu. Point and click would be preferable but I couldn't find a GUI app.

donheff said:
Hey is there an easy graphical tool in desktop Ubuntu to set permissions to allow telnet in from other computers on the home network? I have tweaked the config files by hand in Fedora many times but it has been a while so I will have to wrack my brain a bit to do it in Ubuntu. Point and click would be preferable but I couldn't find a GUI app.

I don't know, but you could ask over at the Ubuntu Forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/.
They'll probably recommend ssh and sftp instead of telnet and ftp, though.

Fedora net-related permissions were a nightmare last time I tried to use it. They got that thing locked up tighter than a <insert simile>. One reason I gave up on it for the new machine.

An anti-virus program for Vista? I thought Vista WAS a virus! Hahaha!!! :LOL:

But, seriously, I use CA with WinXP and it works fine. And I'm fairly certain it will work just fine with Vista also.

I have friends that are running AVG and Avast on their Vista 'puters, and they are happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom