Wow, it’s getting really scary in Texas - and everywhere else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bars and restaurants still open in FL and TX? Why would one go out in such times?
- Get drunk
- Pick someone up

Not typical of the demographic visiting the forum here, so it is hard to understand.

Son in law took his youngest (15) to participate in a DFW area baseball tournament this past weekend. He got a call yesterday that a member of the team tested positive. He has been working from home so no big change to his routine, but his teen son is bummed to be "grounded" for the next two weeks.
If only the whole country could be "grounded" for 3 weeks or so, we would have the pandemic under control!

NY passed the 25,000 deceased count yesterday.
Bars and restaurants still open in FL and TX? Why would one go out in such times?

DW and I eat out periodically and feel quite safe due to the limitations on capacity, the masking rules, and the regular disinfecting. Bars are closed again, apparently weren’t following safe guidelines from what the news reports say.

One of our friends was out at a bar last night . It was his birthday so a lot of people were singing "Happy Birthday". This friend is late 70's . The people singing were all in their 70 or 80's . They think they are invincible . Florida craziness !

Son in law took his youngest (15) to participate in a DFW area baseball tournament this past weekend. He got a call yesterday that a member of the team tested positive. He has been working from home so no big change to his routine, but his teen son is bummed to be "grounded" for the next two weeks.

wow, I didn't know anywhere was allowing baseball tournaments. Would not be allowed here in NC at this time.

wow, I didn't know anywhere was allowing baseball tournaments. Would not be allowed here in NC at this time.

No fans in attendance, respiratory protective devices worn in the dugout, etc. The player who tested positive apparently got it from one of his parents. Will be interesting to see if any of his teammates become infected.

All team practices canceled for the next two weeks and the team withdrew from a big tournament in Louisiana scheduled for this weekend.

Last edited:
No fans in attendance, respiratory protective devices worn in the dugout, etc. The player who tested positive apparently got it from one of his parents. Will be interesting to see if any of his teammates become infected.

All team practices canceled for the next two weeks and the team withdrew from a big tournament in Louisiana scheduled for this weekend.

Yes, I hope no one got infected. Of course the 15 year olds will most likely recover, their parents/grandparents, maybe not. I would be interested to know if they infection spread at a baseball tourney so please report back. I am a big baseball fan.

Those Texans are working hard to give the entire country herd immunity. I guess we should thank them.

A friend just told me that his daughter's FIL who is 68, reasonably healthy with no comorbidities has the virus and is currently in the hospital. Not so good.

Last edited:
If only the whole country could be "grounded" for 3 weeks or so, we would have the pandemic under control!

I have to disagree. The follow-up needs to be there. IMO, it was botched in my state.

People did not fully understand that we had to still be very careful. The governor's flip-flop response to certain First Amendment activities reinforced the idea that things weren't that bad. Businesses needed to open up or they would close permanently. Combine this with lack of testing and a weak tracking and tracing ability, and we are back to where we where at the peak of the disease. No. We are now a bit worse off than at the peak.

Pathetic.

Imagine that! Contracting Covid from a baseball tournament in a major outbreak area. I’m sure they are bummed, but is this unexpected?

Ah, I see now all the steps they took to make it safer. Thanks for clarifying with details.

Now they just have to see if those precautions worked!

Last edited:
NY passed the 25,000 deceased count yesterday.
Bars are not still open in TX AFAIK. They were shut down weeks ago when things started to spike.

The news from Florida just keeps getting worse. Reports of data issues are growing. Yesterday it was some smaller labs not reporting negative tests. Today it is the state recording multiple negative tests for the same individual, counting them as if they were separate people. Reported in today’s Sun Sentinal https://www.sun-sentinel.com/corona...0200715-cpwwngaefzdnpitbs7buh7zsei-story.html

Earlier they combined into one number infection plus antibody tests.
A person who tests positive is counted only once, but negative tests can be counted repeatedly if the same person got more than one test.
In addition, just as the pandemic raced out of control this month, the state changed the formula. It now mixes two different types of tests, including one that produces more false negative results.
The upshot of both factors is that the rate of positive tests, as quoted by the state, could make the situation look significantly better than it is, experts say.
How much the rate would change, if calculated differently, is impossible to know because the state refuses to release key pieces of raw data.

The quote that struck me most was this
There is a peculiar odor around the data in Florida and there has been for some time,” said Dr. William Hanage, associate professor of epidemiology at Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

I have to disagree. The follow-up needs to be there. IMO, it was botched in my state.

People did not fully understand that we had to still be very careful. The governor's flip-flop response to certain First Amendment activities reinforced the idea that things weren't that bad. Businesses needed to open up or they would close permanently. Combine this with lack of testing and a weak tracking and tracing ability, and we are back to where we where at the peak of the disease. No. We are now a bit worse off than at the peak.

Pathetic.

Yes, it’s sad how badly our state has botched controlling the virus. I would say that we are a lot worse off than at the peak. That’s a real shame, since we were doing well at the beginning.

At the start, restaurants were closed and stores were wiping everything down. I was at Costco yesterday and the only tell that we’re in a pandemic is that people are wearing masks. As far as I could tell, there was little wiping down of surfaces by employees and no social distancing by customers.

I went on my regular bike ride around a major beach area here and the beach was full, as were the restaurants. People were not social distancing and mask usage was sporadic. That was always a problem, even when we were in local down (aka phase 1), but now that things are open and the virus is more prevalent, it’s more dangerous.

I want to be wrong, but I don’t see this getting better any time soon. There’s no way to close things back down, since that would be incredibly unpopular. Not many good options for anyone, except for individuals that do care to be cautious and ride this out. It will eventually end.

Of course, that’s assuming you can self quarantine, which is another problem. Yep, definitely not an easy problem to solve.

CDC chief says Northerners heading south for vacation around Memorial Day, and not business reopenings, may be responsible for Covid spike in the South.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/14/cdc-chief-says-northerners-heading-south-for-vacation-may-be-to-blame-for-surge-in-coronavirus-cases-not-state-reopenings.html
He did not provide data to back up his theory that Northerners travelling South are to blame for the surge in cases.
Well - that sounds like a theory without facts provided. I could see perhaps explaining Florida, but TX and Arizona? They get far more winter visitors from up north. Seems to me it can be explained simply by the reopening schedules and how any lift on the shutdowns resulted in a huge pent up demand for social gatherings and visiting newly reopened businesses. We know that a huge number of people took it as a green light and threw caution to the wind. Certainly in TX it hit most of the major metropolitan areas simultaneously. This is an extremely contagious virus in the right circumstances and we already had plenty of community spread across the state. Also, with many large attractions still closed early on, why would people travel here?

Last edited:
Highest FLA death count occurring on any single day was 88 on July 7, according the the state dashboard (counting by date of death).

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

We know daily numbers are not as meaningful because of reporting volatility, it’s more useful to look at moving averages. We also know the dashboard is not subject to scrutiny and the underlying data is not available to be inspected. Different sections of the dashboard cannot be reconciled and have different methodologies for data input. The daily number of total fatalities, however is reported by the state, and no amount of manipulating the data or charts can make that number different or look any less severe.

Last edited:
CDC chief says Northerners heading south for vacation around Memorial Day, and not business reopenings, may be responsible for Covid spike in the South.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/14/cdc-chief-says-northerners-heading-south-for-vacation-may-be-to-blame-for-surge-in-coronavirus-cases-not-state-reopenings.html

Why would people go to Arizona and Texas around Memorial Day? "Honey, I know it's 70 degrees outside, why don't we head to Dallas or Phoenix - I hear it's 105!

We know daily numbers are not as meaningful because of reporting volatility, it’s more useful to look at moving averages. We also know the dashboard is not subject to scrutiny and the underlying data is not available to be inspected. Different sections of the dashboard cannot be reconciled and have different methodologies for data input. The daily number of total fatalities, however is reported by the state, and no amount of manipulating the data or charts can make that number different or look any less severe.

I certainly welcome all views, but the data is from the state dashboard and is an official source. It does not appear to be out of sync with reported death data. Death counts by virtually all authorities are reported as provisional and reflect estimates, incomplete data, data subject to revision, etc.

Reported deaths do include deaths from further back that 7 days. If you follow the date of death data, that is clear. I agree the 7 day average is better than the daily report, but consider both to be relevant.

No amount of death is good. But many people obviously think the reported number of deaths reflect people who died the previous day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom