Yet ANOTHER Chicken Sandwich

I must agree with the I like a chicken sandwich. CFA is great, I tried Popeye's and it is great also, but with Popeye I just eat the chicken. My question is what is with that dang pickle slice ? hate that and semes everyone includes one. One more thing for me to throw away :LOL:
Just order no pickle. They are used to that order. :)

DW hates pickles. Doesn't like throwing away because the bun gets contaminated with pickle juice.

Yesterday while running errands I ran through KFC and ordered the $5 chicken tender meal that includes a side, biscuit, cookie and drink. I get home to find a greasy chicken thigh, bread bun and side in the box. Too far to go back so trashed it all except the drink. Unhealthy stuff anyway so maybe they did me a favor. No more KFC.......

The Popeye's chicken sandwich costs more but is bigger - bigger than I would usually want.

The spicy Popeye's chicken sandwich is a different thing altogether - I like spicy but the one I tried was pretty spicy and spicier than many would want, IMO. (DW didn't like it at all.)

As mentioned earlier, the Jack's chicken sandwich is pretty good. Maybe Jack's is only in the south(?).

I didn't realize the high sodium levels in a CFA sandwich. I need to look into that. Yet another reason to avoid CFA. (But I do succumb from time-to-time....)

Why do people worry so much about salt - of course because they are constantly told to.

Most people don’t need to worry about sodium in spite of the dietary guidelines. Research shows that the US average sodium intake is just under the bottom of the optimum range, and could be higher. The guidelines are unhealthily low and could actually increase cardiovascular risks and mortality.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryh...ery-low-levels-may-be-dangerous/#158070a05622

In terms of reducing water retention and subsequent blood pressure, reducing carbs is very effective for that. Yet a lower carb diet requires higher salt intake because the kidneys flush more sodium.

Last edited:
Most people don’t need to worry about sodium in spite of the dietary guidelines. Research shows that the US average sodium intake is just under the bottom of the optimum range, and could be higher. The guidelines are unhealthily low.

Salt is a flavor enhancer used to make up for tasteless, poor quality ingredients. Good quality, fresh ingredients don't need salt to enhance their flavor. I grew up on low sodium food because my mother had high blood pressure. A lot of salt in food tastes bad to me and causes swelling. I will pass on added salt, thanks.

Salt is a flavor enhancer used to make up for tasteless, poor quality ingredients. Good quality, fresh ingredients don't need salt to enhance their flavor. I grew up on low sodium food because my mother had high blood pressure. A lot of salt in food tastes bad to me and causes swelling. I will pass on added salt, thanks.
Maybe this is why I like all the artificial pressed patty sandwiches.

I just never get the "hype" over fast food items... to me chicken is chicken, and sandwich is a sandwich. Freshness is what matters to me. I would rather go places where things are cooked/prepared from scratch. The wait is worth it.

Why do people worry so much about salt - of course because they are constantly told to.

Personally, I don't worry to much about salt.

But, to much salt in my food masks the taste of the food. Just as to much hot sauce or to much sugar do the same. Of course, sometimes, they are the principle flavor - Tragic!

Personally, I don't worry to much about salt.

But, to much salt in my food masks the taste of the food. Just as to much hot sauce or to much sugar do the same. Of course, sometimes, they are the principle flavor - Tragic!
Yes, of course if food tastes too salty - not good.

And I simply don’t eat fast food anyway because it’s not appealing to me at all - neither visually nor taste or smell wise.

But humans need salt. So it’s good to understand that adequate salt intake is important to your health, and know that the current guidelines are probably way off and pushing too low a salt recommendation than is healthy.

I have never been to Chick-Fil-A. I had no idea that their chicken sandwiches were different from any others.

Same here. There is one close by but the location for us is awful because it's at the corner of a main road and when leaving there's always a long line at the traffic light where we'd want to turn left. It'd take "forever" to get a break to go across two other lanes and get in the left turn lane, meanwhile annoying everyone unfortunate enough to be stuck behind us. So we just don't go there.

There's always lots of cars in the parking lot and a line at the drive-through so apparently the location is doing well anyway.

Yesterday while running errands I ran through KFC and ordered the $5 chicken tender meal that includes a side, biscuit, cookie and drink. I get home to find a greasy chicken thigh, bread bun and side in the box. Too far to go back so trashed it all except the drink. Unhealthy stuff anyway so maybe they did me a favor. No more KFC.......

Popeye's around me is much better than KFC. Nice and spicy.

But humans need salt. So it’s good to understand that adequate salt intake is important to your health, and know that the current guidelines are probably way off and pushing too low a salt recommendation than is healthy.

My DW was told by her PCP during her last checkup to add more salt to her diet. Her level sodium was dangerously low, so low as to potentially cause "big problems".

So yes, salt is important.

So yes, salt is important.

My preferred salt delivery mechanism...

IMG_0654.JPG

CFA seems to be over staffed relative to competition but based on how busy they are it’s smart to spread the workload among more workers. I don’t think it’s surprising how courteous their staff is. I just think they are selective and so a great job training. Is it just me that thinks the “my pleasure” line is Getting a little tired?

I don't buy chicken sandwiches from any of these places so I don't have any vested interest here. Why? Chicken is chicken. It is provided to fast food restaurants with little difference in quality especially as they are raised in environments that are not conducive to producing quality meat. Often the meat is ground up to form into patties. The chicken's nuggets are pretty much the same. The only difference that I can see would be in the breading, spices, sugar and salt. Chicken would be a pale side issue for taste comparison. Also they are cooked in heavily used grease. So there are a few of the reasons I don't see a need to eat any of it.

Cheers!

I don't buy chicken sandwiches from any of these places so I don't have any vested interest here. Why? Chicken is chicken. It is provided to fast food restaurants with little difference in quality especially as they are raised in environments that are not conducive to producing quality meat. Often the meat is ground up to form into patties. The chicken's nuggets are pretty much the same. The only difference that I can see would be in the breading, spices, sugar and salt. Chicken would be a pale side issue for taste comparison. Also they are cooked in heavily used grease. So there are a few of the reasons I don't see a need to eat any of it.

Cheers!

Yeah, pretty much!

I don't buy chicken sandwiches from any of these places so I don't have any vested interest here. Why? Chicken is chicken. It is provided to fast food restaurants with little difference in quality especially as they are raised in environments that are not conducive to producing quality meat. Often the meat is ground up to form into patties.

CFA's chicken sandwich and nuggets aren't from ground chicken. Popeye's had to pull their sandwich for months because of supply chain - they ran out from their selected suppliers. Their sandwich is described as being a "slab of chicken breast" - so also not ground. This is where supply quality matters.

Even the wendy's sandwiches are not ground. Unless something is a "chicken patty" you're going to see real chicken breast meat these days.

Anyone tried the new Popeye's sandwich? I followed the ruckus this summer with interest, and now that it's back I'm interested in trying it, but both locations are 20 mins away, so I'm not sure it's worth the trip (or calories!)

In 1981, I was in Oklahoma City and my GF said we should pop into Chick Fil-A so we did. Being from NJ, but living in Chicago, going to school in Oklahoma, I've Never heard of CFA, but I did as she asked.
I had the chicken sandwich and hated it. (I personally don't like or eat white meat, so that probably has much to do with it)
Fast Forward to 2000, and I was in Philly, at the airport and decided to try it again, and still hated it.
Fast Forward to 2011, my son-in-law (they live in S. Jersey) said I should try the Spicy version, which I did. I still hated it. It's White meat I don't eat, so I stopped eating it, in 2011.

I heard about the Bru-Ha-Ha concerning Popeyes this year, and I love their chicken, but only eat dark meat. They happened to be out, so I waited 2 months to try it. It came out on a Sunday, so I stopped in at 1 pm and ordered two, both spicy.
Needless to say, I absolutely LOVED IT ! It took me almost 40 years to actually say I like chicken sandwiches, but the only one I'd ever buy is the one sold by Popeyes. Probably because it resembles dark meat more than the others.
Folks don't have to agree with me, but it IS my choice.
You folks enjoy YOUR choices.

Last edited:
McD's is getting into the "we hate Chick-Fil-A" game and are introducing their version. I find it interesting that they are going to use the same kind of bag as CFA, too. I am not sure what happened, but a few years ago they launched a "Southern Style" chicken sandwich that was very similar to the CFA version and was pretty good but it was soon removed from the menu.

Anyway, McD's...your problem isn't that you don't have a good chicken sandwich, your problem is that your customer service is crap compared to CFA.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/06/telsey-advisory-mcdonalds-new-chicken-sandwich-is-really-good.html

I don't know how "we hate Chick-Fil-A" translates into MD introducing a chicken sandwich. Personally I've never had a chicken sandwich that was even close to being as good as a burger. But I do like the chicken strips from KFC, especially those made in Santiago, Chile.

Around here CFA is so popular they had to innovate drive thru lanes that lap the building and use order takers working the line. Not sure how effective it is since I never use it nut o don’t see anyone waiting long to get their meals. Inside service is quick and courteous. Food is high quality and cheaper than McD.
Same here, love the chicken, but the long lines usually scare me off. They are popular enough that they need to buy the adjacent lot to build a second CFA next door. The "my pleasure" refrain comes across as fake.

I've been told that the Aldi brand frozen chicken breast filets + brioche buns + pickles are a good approximation of a CFA sandwich, but I haven't tried it yet.

CFA's lemonade is great with a shot or two of bourbon, once you get it home...

I don't know how "we hate Chick-Fil-A" translates into MD introducing a chicken sandwich. Personally I've never had a chicken sandwich that was even close to being as good as a burger. But I do like the chicken strips from KFC, especially those made in Santiago, Chile.
I don't understand the love for Wendy's burgers... Their spicy chicken sandwich and chicken Caesar salad are both amazing. Not a fan of their burgers. I love a good, fancy burger from a sit-down restaurant, though.

I don't understand the love for Wendy's burgers... Their spicy chicken sandwich and chicken Caesar salad are both amazing. Not a fan of their burgers. I love a good, fancy burger from a sit-down restaurant, though.

Opposite for me. When I go to a sit-down restaurant, I want to eat types of food including recipes that I can't or won't make at home.
So burgers for me are always at a fast food chain.
However, I do see many folks eating burgers at sit-downs, so do understand.

Popeye's around me is much better than KFC. Nice and spicy.

I like Popeye's but not one near me. I'll give Raising Cane's another try when I'm in the mood for fried chicken. There is one on my side of town. Fwiw....I don't eat a ton of fried chicken but do get a craving for it every now and then.

Life is interesting, isn't it? Makes you wonder why some people spend so much time trying to convince others of the errors of their ways on various social media outlets. (Not implying anyone above is doing so! We all get along on this, I'm talking other outlets.)

I speak of white meat versus dark meat. I simply can't stand dark meat. Love the white meat.

And then there is pizza... but that's a whole different set of problems and reasons to point out peoples' errors in preferences. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom