Yet another knee surgery thread

I won't say good luck as you have a great doctor and a wonderful team lined up. I will say, may things go smoothly and may all your prep and good attitude take you far on the road to recovery. If sheer willpower and grit count for anything, you are already on the home stretch.

I won't say good luck as you have a great doctor and a wonderful team lined up. I will say, may things go smoothly and may all your prep and good attitude take you far on the road to recovery. If sheer willpower and grit count for anything, you are already on the home stretch.

Thank you!!! ER Forum members are THE BEST - - what a nice post. :)

I believe a knee nerve block is done (before, during or after surgery) to help with after-surgery pain--not as an alternative to general anesthesia?

Just a modern miracle imo that we have these joint replacement procedures available to us for those who need them. Even though the recovery at first may not be a bed of roses, I hope you will return to painfree mobility and an immensely better quality of life afterward, W2R!

I believe a knee nerve block is done (before, during or after surgery) to help with after-surgery pain--not as an alternative to general anesthesia?

The good thing about the knee block is it wears off gradually so you can keep ahead of the pain .

Yeah, I know, who but me would schedule a total knee replacement right at the height of hurricane season. :rolleyes: I'd rather gamble than wait, though.

Woo-hoo!!! Looks like I won the gamble, at least for a while.

Attachments

• capture.jpg
    capture.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 28

Just a modern miracle imo that we have these joint replacement procedures available to us for those who need them. Even though the recovery at first may not be a bed of roses, I hope you will return to painfree mobility and an immensely better quality of life afterward, W2R!
The good thing about the knee block is it wears off gradually so you can keep ahead of the pain .

Oh OK!! Although I knew they were great, I didn't quite "get it"... thanks for all the info.

W2R;. I just looked at this thread for the first time(rather breezed through the thread really quickly). Knee issues have not been a prob for me(yet), so I didn't review this thread until this afternoon, but my phone version of the app that shows most recent threads also shows the last person who commented and I always read your comments. Anyway good luck. It sounds as though you are thoroughly prepared.

I also wanted to mention that our DIL's Mom just went through this surgery. She is 71. She lives in our town so we check in regularly. She had the surgery the last week of March. The first 12 weeks were quite the challenge for her. Pain meds, which she wanted to minimize, were definitely needed. The PT was tough initially, but the knowledge that you only gain permanently, what you achieve during PT inspired her to forge through those weeks. We kept touch initially, providing a couple of meals for her and her DH. She had also frozen a bunch of meals. I knew that the pain meds must have been significant once I received the second thank you note for the same meal prep, the first note within a week, and the second about 8 weeks later. I attributed her second note to having no memory of sending the first note while on the pain meds. She's very sharp normally. I relate this all to you not to discourage you, but to let you know that there is an end to the process. I saw her last week and she is back to her gardening and Happy that she went through the surgery.

Best wishes.

Reactions: W2R
W2R, best wishes for a wildly successful surgery and outcome. I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best.

It's good that there will be no cyclones, but how about hurricanes? :)

Waiting with bated breath to hear how you are doing...

Thanks, everybody.

I awakened from anesthesia about an hour and a half ago, and by now I am out of recovery and in my room. They brought me lunch, and the gumbo was so good! I skipped the potato salad.

So far, no pain when in bed although I am sure the ice machine and meds are helping. I am hooked up every which way but Sunday to a bunch of machines.

PT just came, unhooked me temporarily, and I walked down the hall and back with them, using a walker and with a man pushing a chair right behind me in case I needed to sit. Mostly not too painful, although there were a few squeals from me now and then. So anyway, the new knee works. :LOL:

Thanks, everybody.

I awakened from anesthesia about an hour and a half ago, and by now I am out of recovery and in my room. They brought me lunch, and the gumbo was so good! I skipped the potato salad.

So far, no pain when in bed although I am sure the ice machine and meds are helping. I am hooked up every which way but Sunday to a bunch of machines.

PT just came, unhooked me temporarily, and I walked down the hall and back with them, using a walker and with a man pushing a chair right behind me in case I needed to sit. Mostly not too painful, although there were a few squeals from me now and then. So anyway, the new knee works. :LOL:

WHE. ..... Whoops! :D

I mean, Woohoo! :dance:

Sounds great. Good to hear.

W2R,

Glad your knee surgery went well and I wish you a quick recovery.

As they told me after my shoulder replacements if you are hurting don't be afraid to take pain meds. I found taking a pain pill before PT helped a lot as well.

WHE. ..... Whoops! :D

I mean, Woohoo! :dance:

Yes, congrats on getting through the first phase.

A bunch of us got together and bought you a new pair of ballet slippers so you can work on your toe dancing while recovering. We really want to see how you handle those impressive leaps while hooked up to an ice machine. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom