End of Shift after over 30 years of Service

What a nice way to start off the week! I did the same thing about 3 and a half years ago. I made sure, at the cake fest, to tell each person there something about them that was special to me and thanked them. Good feelings all around. Then my wife took me out to dinner, gave me a small gift as a memento, and it was sublime! The next morning was a Thursday. We slept late, went to the park and drank our coffees, marveling at our amazing good luck.

Those feelings get pushed back a bit after a while, but the are easily drawn forward anytime and at a moment's notice.

Congrats to you. Enjoy!

-BB

Yay! Hurray!

Congratulations. Great accomplishment making 30 years. Enjoy the rest on your own terms.

Now...You are only limited by your imagination. It is Wonderful! Come on in...the water's fine!

Years ago, while in university, I worked for a railway.

One afternoon a train came in the yard. It had a huge white banner over the engine, as was common for retiring locomotive engineers. This one was different. Last run-51years. He was crying as he climbed down the engine.

This was not uncommon. He either started work as a wiper (cleaning coach windows) or a telegraph boy. Apparently you could do that at age 14 or 15 in those days.

In any event what do you think his hobby was. Yes, that is correct. He was a big time model railroader!
Not very many 'great fits' like that, but those lucky enough to have such jobs have no need of retirement. :flowers:

I walk in Friday Morning, Make my own coffee, Turn over my Phone, Credit card, I.d. Electronic keys, Building keys, Vehicle Keys Have a little cake, wrap up a few things on the computer, like put my outlook on permanent vacation, Change my Voicmails, clean out my desk, office, vehicle and leave at the end of the day a free soul! :dance:
Congrats! I too went into work on Dec. 5th 2018, turned in my key card, took retirement photo ID, signed out, left a free soul after 21.5 years of service to the State of California.

"Boatswain. Standby to pipe the side. Shipmate's going Ashore."
Makes sense if "shipmate" is the CO, a flag officer, a foreign naval officer, or a member of the Royal Family. Otherwise, not so much. :confused:

Makes sense if "shipmate" is the CO, a flag officer, a foreign naval officer, or a member of the Royal Family. Otherwise, not so much. :confused:

The OP's story reminded me of a Naval retirement where they read this. And it can be read for any sailor, not just an officer.

You don't pipe the side for "any sailor". :facepalm:

Thanks to everyone for your replies, I was out the door by Noon! :) The big question you get from everyone is kinda like when you graduate from High School. " So what are you going to do now?" I have been saying "as little as possible for a few weeks". And........ I have some time to decide! I have been away from a computer for several days, hence the delayed reply!

None. Why?

To the best of my knowledge, the US Navy doesn't pipe the side for common sailors, or commissioned officers not holding commands. Retirement status doesn't, or at least shouldn't, affect that.

It certainly isn't the practice in the Royal Navy (the font of all significant naval customs and traditions), or any other White Ensign navies.

white-ensign-flag-std_1.jpg

20091114ran8116382_082%20copy.jpeg

436539265_640.jpg

C6O4-t9VAAAJoBD.jpg

White%20ensign.jpg

affleet3.jpg

Last edited:
I think we are talking past one another.

In the U.S. Navy, the only people that get piped ashore and returning are the CO, flag officers and dignitaries.

But, it is also traditional at the end of a retirement ceremony, that any sailor can be piped ashore as the final act of a long and distinguished career. It is honorary. And quite moving.

Last edited:
Yes, congrats!

Did the same thing in 1986 when I quit the federal government, & started my own consulting company. I've been choosing my own hours & what I do, ever since.

Feels good, doesn't it? :dance:

Congratulations!

I recommend you take one last walk around to all the places in your office/job site that mean anything to you and purposefully contemplate your final departure. Take the time to remember all the experiences and the people you interacted with. Smile a little, tear up a little, then take a deep breath and let it all go. It helps (helped me anyway) with the transition. Kind of like losing a significant other or old home, retiring has a lot do with separation anxiety in the beginning.

I’ve been retired just over three months, planned meticulously for it for seven years, left on my own terms and still have the occasional , “Oh crap! I’m late for work!!” Moments. I’m happy to say they are being replaced with, “Oh crap! This is freaking awesome! Why didn’t we retire earlier?”

Welcome to the retirement pool, the water here is just fine and the people are great!

JQ

Back
Top Bottom