After 6 years of aggressive travel: pickpocketed!

Very good point. We occasionally have chosen to pay with cash--as we did the morning of the theft. (Hmmm.)

Rather silly of us, as except for a handful of street food vendors in Penang and rural Peru (and one clothing vendor in Bali), electronic payments have been acceptable everywhere we've been.

I've encountered places in E. Europe where they were reluctant to take credit. Serbia and Romania were fine, Bulgaria and Albania were less so. A jeweler in Albania told me the credit card machine was broken- could I get the money from a nearby ATM? It was a $100 purchase- I bet the machine would have started working suddenly if I'd spent $1,000+. A restaurant on the main drag in Skoder, Albania (big tourist spot for locals)- some things. We didn't note in entering that there were no credit card logos displayed.

Fortunately I'm not the pickpocket magnet my dear husband was.

Thanks. The products look interesting/useful. I've calendared it for when we return home.

I bought a backpack and document holder when braumeister posted about this product line and am very happy. They’re well designed, mine have traveled extensively and held up well. I also use them at home as temporary safekeeping when we have people in the house working.

DH has a Pacsafe “man bag” he uses in Europe. Its a crossbody shoulder bag. I have something similar but it’s more shaped like a purse. Very handy overseas.

Back in the 1980's I had a cop in Tijuana MX threaten to take me to jail unless I gave him money. All I had left was $20 and I gave it to him and he let me go.

About 10 years later I was in Spain and got the equivalent of about US$100 from the ATM and and a cop came up to me and said, "Pasaporte." I showed him my passport and handed him all of the money and he gave the money back. He said some stuff in Spanish and I (despite 4 years of high school Spanish) didn't understand. So I tried to give him the money again. He gave it back to me. He kept asking me more questions and to each I responded, "No entiendo.' Finally he patted me on the shoulder and let me go.

I guess I figured it was a case of same language, same procedure.

You all are sure not convincing this non-traveler to go back to traveling again! :LOL: I'd SO much rather stay home.

I remember when I was a kid, my very first sewing project was when my mother taught me how to sew pockets inside our underwear. And then, I remember my father giving my pre-teen big brother H-E-double-toothpicks for getting pickpocketed in South America since he was supposed to know better. (yeah, how?) Then when I was 4 I got in big trouble in Cairo for giving a little girl my age a dime (all the money I had) when she told me her mother was dying of starvation.

Ah, the "joys" of traveling. You sure can't blame desperate people for doing these things, but it's part of traveling that will probably never disappear. Honestly I think that unlike people in this forum, a lot of other Americans just don't see this stuff abroad, or else pretend it's not going on, or don't care.

Ah, the "joys" of traveling. You sure can't blame desperate people for doing these things, but it's part of traveling that will probably never disappear. Honestly I think that unlike people in this forum, a lot of other Americans just don't see this stuff abroad, or else pretend it's not going on, or don't care.

Yeah, we talk to people (not just Americans) who do mostly end-to-end tours from their home city, or who are Belmond-level travelers, and there is always quite a bit of mutual incomprehension as to how one can travel like "that." :LOL:

Travelers have been targets of theft since the beginning of time. They are vulnerable.

Jesus mentioned robbers beating a traveler half to death.

The expanding USA had a real problem with it for anyone traveling east to west. You weren't even safe on a train.

And in my little life experience, I remember traveling to Boston to visit a college. I got on the shuttle to catch a train, and 3 girls were balling their eyes out. They were also fellow college visitors. I asked what was wrong. Turns out their money was silently lifted from them as they were waiting for their baggage. Someone saw vulnerable, distracted, young, inexperienced travelers and targeted them. Yeah, happens in the USA too.

Last edited:
Once on a subway in Rome, two Roma kids about 9 and 10 got on. An Italian woman immediately pointed at them and announced in English "these two children are pickpockets and are here to rob you. Be careful." and they got off at the next stop.

In Naples, I felt a jostling as I was boarding a bus where there was a clog of people waiting to pay. I immediately felt my wallet come out, and chased the thief and my wallet off the bus while shouting "ladro! ladro!". (I actually make sure I know how to yell "thief" in countries I visit.) I am not sure which of us was more surprised. He pitched it to his buddy, who threw it at my feet as they ran off. The locals looked disgusted. I was 60-ish and he was half that. My wife pointed out how stupid I was, and I couldn't disagree. It was purely reactive.

I’m mainly concerned with losing my phone. Without it, it would be challenging to cancel cards and continue on our trip.

This post reminds me why I prefer travelling in Japan. This summer my son lost his wallet at a train station in Tokyo. We returned to the station 9 hours later, went to the station attendant and found that someone had turned it in with all Yen intact.

Sorry this happened to you. As a standard practice, I keep important stuff in money belt tucked in front if my pants and only have small cash & coin in zippered inside pocket of light windbreaker. Wife has sewn zippered pockets inside her light jacket and wears a cross-body , cut resistant Travelon with fold flap and zippers. We keep copies of Passports, etc in hotel safe or with front desk safe and have those signed and sealed. We've been careful and wife is good about sensing when somethings up in past.

I was pickpocketed once in Guatemala. Also from the front pocket. I was waiting for a bus with my hand in my front pocket holding on to my wallet for safety. As I surged forward with the crowd to board the bus I took my hand out of my pocket for a second to grab the door handle and step up and that instant was when I felt by wallet being lifted out of the front pocket. Too big of a crowd surging onto the bus to do anything out it. I only lost a bit of cash and my Guatemalan International Mission driver's license (I was in the Peace Corps and had local ID).

In similar situations I now only carry cash/passport in a neck wallet stuffed down the front of my shirt https://www.rei.com/product/856529/eagle-creek-rfid-blocker-neck-wallet

Wow sorry to hear that. But you were the target of that diversion tactic. Always be careful when there's a ruckus, you may be the target.

We got too comfortable based on our experience in sometimes iffy locations over the years, I'm afraid. :facepalm:

First morning in the Canary Islands, Old town La Orotava in Tenerife. No crowds, walking back to apartment after breakfast and we heard another couple gaining on us on the sidewalk (unusual in itself). Then a car pulls the wrong way into a one-way street/alley immediately in front of us. Much shouting and gesturing as he nearly backs into the male of the other couple when getting the car out. The couple turns down the alley and we walk the remaining 100 ft to our apartment.

Minutes later, I realize my wallet is missing--either left in the restaurant or perhaps nicked by that couple. Walked by alley, saw nothing, and continued to the restaurant. Some 15 minutes have elapsed, wallet isn't there, pull up phone and see 4 alerts from BoA about attempted cash advances with incorrect PIN.

Got on phone, cancelled the BoA and Chase cards, as well as locking my Fidelity ATM card. Arranged for replacement credit cards to be sent quickly to one of our kids (we are island hopping, so can't count on international delivery...). Then went around looking in trash cans and in alleys for wallet in hopes that I'd find my driver's license. (nope!)

Went to police station and made a formal report, basically just to document it, as we have no real hope of recovery.

Luckily, we had spare credit and debit cards--both hard copy and on the phones. Biggest immediate concern was car rentals--we had 7 more scheduled on this trip. Luckily, at least on the first occasion, the rental company rented us a car after hearing our story, and seeing the police report, international license, and printed out copy of my license.

Learning experience--never again carry license in wallet with cash and cards; indeed, only one card should be in the wallet. 2. DW should carry not only a physical spare credit card, but one with no foreign transaction fees. 3. There is a reason we bought money belts when we retired--we will use them regularly from now on.

Kudos to Chase and BoA--the theft was [-]Saturday[/-] Friday (fixed), our son received our replacement cards on Tuesday, and he immediately sent photos to us so that we could activate them on our phones. So the silver lining is that there were not a lot of foreign transaction fees, and not many credit card points lost!

We got too comfortable based on our experience in sometimes iffy locations over the years, I'm afraid. :facepalm:

First morning in the Canary Islands, Old town La Orotava in Tenerife. No crowds, walking back to apartment after breakfast and we heard another couple gaining on us on the sidewalk (unusual in itself). Then a car pulls the wrong way into a one-way street/alley immediately in front of us. Much shouting and gesturing as he nearly backs into the male of the other couple when getting the car out. The couple turns down the alley and we walk the remaining 100 ft to our apartment.

Minutes later, I realize my wallet is missing--either left in the restaurant or perhaps nicked by that couple. Walked by alley, saw nothing, and continued to the restaurant. Some 15 minutes have elapsed, wallet isn't there, pull up phone and see 4 alerts from BoA about attempted cash advances with incorrect PIN.

Got on phone, cancelled the BoA and Chase cards, as well as locking my Fidelity ATM card. Arranged for replacement credit cards to be sent quickly to one of our kids (we are island hopping, so can't count on international delivery...). Then went around looking in trash cans and in alleys for wallet in hopes that I'd find my driver's license. (nope!)

Went to police station and made a formal report, basically just to document it, as we have no real hope of recovery.

Luckily, we had spare credit and debit cards--both hard copy and on the phones. Biggest immediate concern was car rentals--we had 7 more scheduled on this trip. Luckily, at least on the first occasion, the rental company rented us a car after hearing our story, and seeing the police report, international license, and printed out copy of my license.

Learning experience--never again carry license in wallet with cash and cards; indeed, only one card should be in the wallet. 2. DW should carry not only a physical spare credit card, but one with no foreign transaction fees. 3. There is a reason we bought money belts when we retired--we will use them regularly from now on.

Kudos to Chase and BoA--the theft was [-]Saturday[/-] Friday (fixed), our son received our replacement cards on Tuesday, and he immediately sent photos to us so that we could activate them on our phones. So the silver lining is that there were not a lot of foreign transaction fees, and not many credit card points lost!

During my second Mardi Gras, I found a guy's hand in my jacket pocket. Before I could slug him or do anything else, he realized he was caught and ducked into the crowd and disappeared. I had left EVERYTHING except a few ones in the safe at the hotel, so he got nothing (and would have got nothing.) I had been warned!

A friend at w*rk described how his son (a new Navy Man) was walking with some buddies in San Diego. Out of a dark doorway, 3 nude women came toward the guys and grabbed them and started kissing them and other things. In seconds the women ran off and piled into a waiting car. All the guys had their wallets lifted. So, any distraction is a prime way that pickpockets seem to w*rk.

You gotta watch for it and also take precautions at all time. My simple method is to place my wallet in my front pocket, open fold up WITH a comb inside the fold, teeth up. It's not fool proof, but it's one stop-gap measure. Another method is to carry a dummy wallet and keep valuables in my GoldToe support stocking elastic band just below the knee (Not too cool wearing shorts, of course.):cool:

That was a truly fecal experience. And the thieves? They are simply mounds of useless excrement. "And that's all I have to say about that." ---Forrest Gump.

For many years while travelling I wear hiking pants and keep my wallet in a pocket with a zipper or velcro flap. No losses.

That was a truly fecal experience. And the thieves? They are simply mounds of useless excrement. "And that's all I have to say about that." ---Forrest Gump.

I understand that back in the day, they publicly hanged pick-pockets and their pick-pocket friends would always attend to pick the pockets of the gawkers. Ah, yes. The circle of life in all its rich pageantry.:cool:

In September, I was in London and I took the Underground and when I exited the train, I realized my fanny pack, which I wore in front of me, was open.

An iPhone wallet case containing my credit cards was missing. But my iPhone and a regular wallet, which didn't have much cash, was still in the pack.

On the train, it was standing room only and I stood and was surrounded by people on all sides including in front of me where the pack would be.

I am not sure if it was theft or I had the pack open and it fell out. The pack was pretty stuffed so it's not inconceivable that it fell out.

I canceled all the cards. I was mostly using my iPhone and Apple Watch, including to use the transport system. On this trip, I didn't withdraw any local currency.

It was a pain changing out the cards because on one of them I incurred an expense tied to my car rental for which I had to get reimbursed by the Visa signature protection benefits, which includes damage to a rental car. In this case, it was a damaged tire which I paid to replace so that my trip wouldn't be interrupted.

When I filed the claim for reimbursement, they wanted a statement under the original card number but for some reason, Chase couldn't provide me one showing that charge.

So I explained to Visa and they eventually paid out the claim.

I can pretty much go without physical cards on most of the trips. Of course I will take them just in case.

But that might be challenged when I go to Thailand in February, where I understand it's mostly a cash-based society.

What I get from this thread is I am going to keep my wallet in my shoe and carry a knockoff handbag filled with dog poo.

In September, I was in London and I took the Underground and when I exited the train, I realized my fanny pack, which I wore in front of me, was open.

An iPhone wallet case containing my credit cards was missing. But my iPhone and a regular wallet, which didn't have much cash, was still in the pack.

Yeowch. That is a painful story. Definitely adds to the reasons to split cards/cash between the two of us on trips.

Definitely a different story in SE Asia with desire (and sometimes mandate) for cash in transactions. We were in Indonesia and Malaysia for a couple months earlier this year--and the contrast between them and Singapore (and the Canary Islands this month) was striking.

DW and I just got back from two weeks in Italy. We went to Rome, Florence, Venice. We did not have our pockets picked. However we had been warned how this happens so when getting on one of the trains we saw the set up and did not fall for it.

Three young ladies got on the train, went about 20 feet in, and started arguing over seats for no reason while blocking the aisle. The only way to go by would be to go sideways past them with no room. If we had tried to push through, I suspect one or more would have jostled or bumped hard into one of us to knock us off balance, while the other picked our pocket or stole a bag.

I stopped a few feet away and said "Please move out of the aisle so we can get by". I refused to budget unless they were out of the aisle. They finally moved and we passed by, watching them very carefully. A few minutes later they exited the train. The entire thing was a distraction to try to get us to be close enough to either get picked, or for someone to grab a bag and run.

I did keep a pouch under my clothes tucked into my pants. It sounds like that may not have been fool-proof either from reading this thread.

Thanks to those of you who have shared your experiences of being compromised by these slight of hand artists. That's got to be tough to admit, given most of aren't/weren't naïve to the risks. Recognizing now that the distraction thing is even a bigger factor.

My only related story is up near the gargoyles of Notre Dame...just wall-to-wall people. But this guy must have bought a ticket, like the rest of us. He went for my back pocket contents, which was my decoy "wallet", but it was actually just a notepad where I jotted down stuff. I felt it, spun around, and watched him disappear into the throngs of people. I still had my notepad. I little guy, probably 50 years old.

There's one thing my dad taught me when I was a kid traveling, and it stuck with me... if you feel anything, spin instantly around and look directly at the situation. I think the spin might make it more challenging for the artist. And no matter how crowded, you can always manage a spin on "your" spot. But I think people want to look relaxed and confident and not seem confrontational. If it turns out it was innocent, plenty of time to apologize.

Last edited:
There's one thing my dad taught me when I was a kid traveling, and it stuck with me... if you feel anything, spin instantly around and look directly at the situation.

That's good, but an even better move that I learned long ago is to spin in the other direction. A common trick is to distract you with, for example, a tap on the shoulder, while they are working on your wallet which is on the other side of your body. Turning in the direction of the distraction will have you facing the opposite way from the thief who is now running away into the crowd.

Wow, amazed at the sheer number of stories. I don't have much to contribute, as +30 years of living/working in NYC and riding crowded trains/subways and international travel have taught me to be hyper-vigilant, even if going to the corner to get a carton of milk. I always put my wallet in my front pocket, only carry bare minimum of credit cards, and am very aware of securing my iPhone (probably the most valuable loose personal item). Fortunately, I don't think NYC pickpockets are quite as adept as their European and developing world peers.

Back
Top Bottom