After 6 years of aggressive travel: pickpocketed!

2017ish

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We got too comfortable based on our experience in sometimes iffy locations over the years, I'm afraid. :facepalm:

First morning in the Canary Islands, Old town La Orotava in Tenerife. No crowds, walking back to apartment after breakfast and we heard another couple gaining on us on the sidewalk (unusual in itself). Then a car pulls the wrong way into a one-way street/alley immediately in front of us. Much shouting and gesturing as he nearly backs into the male of the other couple when getting the car out. The couple turns down the alley and we walk the remaining 100 ft to our apartment.

Minutes later, I realize my wallet is missing--either left in the restaurant or perhaps nicked by that couple. Walked by alley, saw nothing, and continued to the restaurant. Some 15 minutes have elapsed, wallet isn't there, pull up phone and see 4 alerts from BoA about attempted cash advances with incorrect PIN.

Got on phone, cancelled the BoA and Chase cards, as well as locking my Fidelity ATM card. Arranged for replacement credit cards to be sent quickly to one of our kids (we are island hopping, so can't count on international delivery...). Then went around looking in trash cans and in alleys for wallet in hopes that I'd find my driver's license. (nope!)

Went to police station and made a formal report, basically just to document it, as we have no real hope of recovery.

Luckily, we had spare credit and debit cards--both hard copy and on the phones. Biggest immediate concern was car rentals--we had 7 more scheduled on this trip. Luckily, at least on the first occasion, the rental company rented us a car after hearing our story, and seeing the police report, international license, and printed out copy of my license.

Learning experience--never again carry license in wallet with cash and cards; indeed, only one card should be in the wallet. 2. DW should carry not only a physical spare credit card, but one with no foreign transaction fees. 3. There is a reason we bought money belts when we retired--we will use them regularly from now on.

Kudos to Chase and BoA--the theft was [-]Saturday[/-] Friday (fixed), our son received our replacement cards on Tuesday, and he immediately sent photos to us so that we could activate them on our phones. So the silver lining is that there were not a lot of foreign transaction fees, and not many credit card points lost!

Last edited:
Kudos to Chase and BoA--the theft was Saturday, our son received our replacement cards on Tuesday, and he immediately sent photos to us so that we could activate them on our phones.

So the bank sent the cards to your son's address, or does he live at your address? I'm thinking what would we do in a similar situation, and I would not expect the banks to send our cards to some other address than what is listed on the account.

Sorry that happened to you. That is why it has been many years since I carried a wallet. I wear cargo pants/shorts and have important stuff in front pockets, never back. If travelling I usually wear a money belt and/or one that goes around the neck. Never put anything important in rear pockets, ever.

He is living at our address right now. Otherwise, we would have done the same thing, and had the friend who normally picks our mail up retrieve them for us.

Sorry that happened to you. That is why it has been many years since I carried a wallet. I wear cargo pants/shorts and have important stuff in front pockets, never back. If travelling I usually wear a money belt and/or one that goes around the neck. Never put anything important in rear pockets, ever.

Yep. Zipped cargo pants pockets in front were where I had the wallet. They were good at lifting the wallet. The attempt to profit further by getting PIN-dependent cash advances was amateurish--unless people generally don't use good PINs?

So the bank sent the cards to your son's address, or does he live at your address? I'm thinking what would we do in a similar situation, and I would not expect the banks to send our cards to some other address than what is listed on the account.

It's not that rare. I once needed a replacement card in Scotland. Called Fidelity and they sent it overnight to my hotel in the next city I was visiting. It worked like a charm.

Great tips in the lesson learned part of your original posting. I'm going to work a little harder to minimize what I carry on my body at any one time. Sorry this happened to you.

They managed to unzip your pants and you didn't notice?

I always carry two sets of credit cards and ATM cards when travelling overseas. One set is in my pocket and the other is in my backpack (then in a hotel safe after check-in).

Yep. Zipped cargo pants pockets in front were where I had the wallet. They were good at lifting the wallet. The attempt to profit further by getting PIN-dependent cash advances was amateurish--unless people generally don't use good PINs?

My sympathies. DH had $US 50 taken from his front pants pocket (no zipper) on the Barcelona subway. Same scenario- a bunch of young people created a distraction by jostling and pushing to get out at a stop- and one of them got the money. That was his THIRD pickpocketing episode. Another time they must have followed us after an ATM stop in St. Petersburg and they ran past him as we were walking up stairs, pushing at him. I asked him why the &&%$! he had $50 on him in Barcelona after two previous episodes and he said, "It was in my front pants pocket so I didn't think they'd get it".:rolleyes:

My two main cards are Fidelity and Costco Visas. I keep two others back in the room- an AA Mastercard and a Hilton Amex- just in case. Ordinarily I don't use them except with those brands.

It has happened to me twice in years and years.

First time on a crowded No.64 bus in Rome. Not a huge issue. At that time I was working. The only credit card I carried was my company issue Amex. I only keep 10E in my wallet. Not a big loss.

Second time on the Athens subway years later. Only 20E. I was so thankful that I keep my DL and credit cards, etc in my neck pouch under my shirt. Had I lost the DL I would not have been able to pick up my rental.

Crap happens.

For example while in the Turkey open market, I walked around with my thumb inside my front pocket with 4 fingers pressed against the outside of the pocket.

Everything on the inside of clothes I guess, and carry minimal.

We tether our wallets and carry minimal in them.

My sympathies. DH had $US 50 taken from his front pants pocket (no zipper) on the Barcelona subway. ...

A guy tried to pickpocket me on the Barcelona subway. He was going to unbutton my front shirt pocket from in front of me...

These guys are like magicians with their slight of hand.

I saw him and he pretended it was nothing, then phoned his buddies (must be gang of them) and disappeared into the crowd.

We travel frequently.

I assume that someone is going to try to pickpocket me and/or be successful.

I never carry much cash in my pockets. I never display it when making a purchase. We both separate documentation and credit cards from accessible cash money when we travel.

We also take 'travel jewelry' when we travel. $15 plastic watches, costume jewelry. Could care less if it is loss, stolen, or breaks. Anything of value stays at home. For the same reason we travel with very non descript bags. Absolutely no labels that would imply anything of value inside.

We also take 'travel jewelry' when we travel. $15 plastic watches, costume jewelry. Could care less if it is loss, stolen, or breaks. Anything of value stays at home.

I don't have travel jewelry per se but I take inexpensive silver, enamel, etc. pieces with no great sentimental value and not too many of them. When I was married, my wedding band was a plain, thin platinum one and the engagement ring stayed at home.

We feel we're pretty researched and aware about the threat of being pickpocketed so we take pretty typical precautions and normally are on the lookout for classic situations. However, we're still susceptile to being very slow to recognize we're in the middle of a pickpocket attempt versus the situation just seeming a bit odd. :LOL:

We had just got on the bus in Athens this spring when this guy who followed us on kept elbowing me while pretending to rummage through his fanny pack. At the time, I was just pretty annoyed by it so I kind of just held my ground even though I hate my personal space being invaded. Looking back though, I suspect he was trying force me and DW to move away and walk between his accomplices (2 girls) on the other side of us. However, we just stood there with our backs against the wall and hands in our pockets which we normally do in close quarters.
Anyways, they finally gave up as we weren't moving and then got off at the next stop to look for their next target. But it wasn't until they got off that DW and I realized that "Hey, I think those 3 were trying to pickpocket us!" :LOL: It's difficult and mentally draining to be constantly be on guard.

My old boss is pretty travel savvy but she and husband were exploited by the "You've got mustard on your shirt. Let me help you clean that off." scam.

correct. The front cargo pocket.

Just read a FB post from a women who got pickpocketed on the Paris Metro. She was a seasoned traveller and was aware Paris has lots of pickpockets. Her wallet/phone case was stolen from a zippered purse (no zipper lock) she was holding in front of her. She said she was bumped hard as someone dropped their watch but she never felt them unzipping her purse and reaching into it. I always wear the neck pouch under my shirt, tucked into my undies.

Just a suggestion: To foil potential pocket picking, I've been using PacSafe products for a number of years, and think very highly of them. About as pickpocket-proof as you will find.

My old boss is pretty travel savvy but she and husband were exploited by the "You've got mustard on your shirt. Let me help you clean that off." scam.

Something was dropped on us from a balcony in Barcelona. It was whitish so looked like bird poop. A helpful man immediately came up and offered to help clean it off. We refused. Later DH noted that when the guy left, he didn't continue on in the same direction- he turned around and went back! The stuff turned out to be something that dried quickly and could be brushed away.

Just a suggestion: To foil potential pocket picking, I've been using PacSafe products for a number of years, and think very highly of them. About as pickpocket-proof as you will find.

Thanks. I've seen them advertised. I may invest in some before I visit Central America.

Yeah, I’d read about the Barcelona bird poop scam, and someone I know fell for it, but fortunately got suspicious before letting loose any if their valuables. They didn’t lose anything but still felt stupid about it. I thought they were smart!

I had my wallet lifted in Rome about a decade ago and it was in the front zippered cargo pant pocket. When and how it happened I had no idea.

Fortunately, all they got was my 50 euros daily spending cash and my multi-day metro pass. I didn't see a need for a CC that day so I did not take one. Passports, licenses etc, are always locked up in my room. If I do have to carry a CC or ATM card with me, I have a belt loop holder that keeps them tucked away inside my pants. If somebody reaches down there it will be another interesting travel experience, but I doubt they will not get my attention.

Risk Steves recommends looking at any commotion that erupts around you as a potential pick pocket distraction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom