After 6 years of aggressive travel: pickpocketed!

I think it’s mainly that in most parts of the US pickpocketing is not widespread. Look at all those folks walking around with phones sticking out of their back pocket! I cringe when I see a lady with her purse sitting at the top of her shopping cart, and open too. And she even leaves her cart unattended at times! Yet this is so common here.

I think it’s mainly that in most parts of the US pickpocketing is not widespread. Look at all those folks walking around with phones sticking out of their back pocket! I cringe when I see a lady with her purse sitting at the top of her shopping cart, and open too. And she even leaves her cart unattended at times! Yet this is so common here.

Up until recently, such crimes were actually investigated and prosecuted in the USA in most places. Let's face it. With all the cameras in every store and on every street corner and every ATM and every door bell, such crimes ARE recorded in the USA. It's just a matter of how strictly the crimes are treated. Now, not so much, perhaps. Just another tax on "rich people."

I suspect in much of Europe, there has become a "nuehhh!" attitude by gummint, police, merchants, and locals. I'm guessing they have almost as many cameras as the USA. "Just another tax on the 'rich Tourists.'" Let the "buyer" beware rather than "let the criminal beware." Too bad really.

Example: Two times ago when DW's small business was burgled, the police took finger prints and DNA (one of the idiots breaking in cut the crap out of his hand trying to use a pair of DW's office scissors to break into the safe - he didn't get in but he bled all over the place. LAST time, the police just took a report over the phone. Times have changed. "We" have accepted things we never used to accept, so it's on us. YMMV

Last edited:
I believe that travel calls for a common sense approach that assumes you will be the victim of a pick pocket.

The only remaining question after that is how to protect yourself by, at the very least, absolutely protecting key items such as cc, id's, and your any stash of cast that you might have.

We see it so often when we travel. People hanging purses, etc on the the back of chairs in outdoor cafes. People flashing wallets full of credit cards and money in stores. People leaving purses, bags, cameras etc. on the ground at the foot of their chair in outdoor dining venues. Worse, people dropping backpacks etc to turn around and snap a photo or a selfie of themselves or others.

You need to exercise a certain amount of basic common sense. You need to be aware of what can happen. You need to be aware of your surroundings. Thieves are on the lookout for those who do not practice these basic precautions. Even if you do practice all of these and more you can still very easily become a victim.
Well put.

Back
Top Bottom