Hi I'm John

jpjr

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm 61 and mdw is 59. We plan on retiring 1/1/12. Our two sons are "mostly" on their own and we have decided to escape from both the general rat race and the cold winds and snow of the north. South Carolina is our destination in Oconee County - "The Golden Corner" near Clemson University.

We do not expect an extravagant life-style, and may eventually find some work to keep us occupied...and pay for the one thing that keeps us up late at night .... the cost of health care. I have read several of the threads on this forum and look forward to participating when ever appropriate.

Regards to all.

John

Welcome, John. It is a great forum and better with each new participant.

Welcome John. When do you plan on giving notice?

and pay for the one thing that keeps us up late at night .... the cost of health care.

John
Welcome and it keeps me working due to the same reason: cost of health care. If I had health care covered, I could RE much sooner rather than later since I don't need much to live on.

BradMM,

I have left some not-too-subtle clues for my boss, and will provide several months' advance notice. I am indebted to him for what he has done for me and will never leave him high and dry. I

Health care cost is about the only thing keeping me working right now! And maybe the car I get at work. But mostly it is health insurance.

Welcome and good luck.

Also a big welcome. You're right to be worried about health care and ER. It's the biggest obstacle in my opinion, and something most early retirees in other advanced countries don't need to worry about. It's a shame that it evolved that way here (U.S.).

There's a "Health and ER" forum here, where many strategies on how to manage or at least mitigate this problem are discussed.

Back
Top Bottom