Hi room

Mpithsalvation

Confused about dryer sheets
I have a broker working with me and I’m investing some on my own.
My burning question is what to do with an unexpected windfall that is equal to about 3/4 of a year’s income.
I’m single and I’d like to grow the money somewhat safely.
A friend suggested that I ask the great community here to help me.

If you read these (in order) you will know more than many financial advisors:

"If You Can" by William Bernstein https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf (free 16 page download)

"The Coffee House Investor" by Bill Schultheis https://www.amazon.com/Coffeehouse-Investor-Wealth-Ignore-Street/dp/159184584X (This is Bill's first book; read it before reading his second one.)

"The Bogleheads Guide to Investing" by Taylor Larimore et al https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide-Investing-Taylor-Larimore/dp/0470067365

If you prefer a web-based approach, this is a good place to start:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started (The entirety of that site can be a bit intimidating though, so beware.)

I have a broker working with me and I’m investing some on my own.
My burning question is what to do with an unexpected windfall that is equal to about 3/4 of a year’s income.
A friend suggested that I ask the great community here to help me.

It would help to know how old you are (approximately) and how long you can leave this money alone.

Generally speaking the younger you are and the longer you don't need the money the more aggressive you can be with your investments.

I like that you highlighted the term "simple". Investing, afterall is simple. A lot of folks hear investing and they think this crazy madness on a trading floor in the NYSE or NASDAQ as that is what has been burned in our minds.

Its actually quite simple. Open up a broker account at Vanguard and connect your bank you are depositing your inheritance. Put that money into an ETF like VOO by setting a LIMIT order between the BUY and SELL price, wait for it to execute... and let it ride.

My guess is if you needed guidance someone at Vanguard would easily guide you through it. Or use Fidelity, doesn't matter.

IF you feel like investing needs to be more "complicated" than that... buy AAPL. The media has been beating that Stock up a bit but its a well run company with lots of growth potential.

HIGH RISK = OPTIONS TRADING + DAY TRADING with limited to no knowledge vs the big guys who spend millions to know.

LOW RISK = Buying a Single ETF with positions resembling/tracking the SP500 and holding. When you sell, there might be some taxes...just know that.

IF you are young, put it into a Roth IRA if you have not been contributing to one of those yet.

Another note: Beware of brokers, particularly brokers who do not have a fiduciary relationship with you. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/fiduciary.asp See also "If You Can" mentioned above.

And a few words of investment guru wisdom from my clip file:
Warren Buffett: “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.”

William Bernstein: “You are not as good looking, as charming, or as good a driver as you think you are. The same goes for your investing abilities. In an environment filled with incredibly smart, hard-working, and well-informed participants the smartest trading strategy is not to trade at all.”

Burton Malkiel " ... The indexing strategy is the one I recommend most highly. At least the core of every portfolio ought to be indexed. I recognize, however, that telling most investors that there is no hope of beating the averages is like telling a six year old that there is no Santa Claus. It takes the zing out of life."​

Per Dr. Bernstein's advice, I disagree with the idea that you should consider buying individual stocks.

This is a great place to learn the basics and let people know what you are thinking of doing and ask questions about the pros and cons of each idea. Even if you know a knowledgeable investor they learned by asking questions reading and just doing small steps to gain experience.

Pretty much every idea out there will have someone who modifies or follows other ideas. Look for stable people who have reasons and not just feelings for what they suggest. Find out what their time frames are and what yours are. a 20 year old has more time for the market to make them whole again than an 80 year old.

I remember when the internet was young and i placed my first purchases online. It was almost like driving the first time. And i made minor mistakes. Just make sure mistake amounts in investing are amounts you can live with.

Risk must be something you can sleep with as well.

Welcome to the forum. Old shooter is someone I have read and respected his comments for years.

Welcome. You will get lots of good advice here.

Remember that you don't need to do anything quickly with this money. Its perfectly acceptable to let it sit quietly in a savings account (or CD or money market fund) for a few months while you learn a bit.

As others have noted, you're off on the right foot looking for something simple.

IF you are young, put it into a Roth IRA if you have not been contributing to one of those yet.
Actually, if you're not maxing out your 401(k) and Roth IRA contributions, I would say do that once your windfall comes in, and then use the windfall to supplement your budget as needed. You can't directly put a windfall (assuming it's not employment income, but most people don't get bonuses that big) into retirement accounts, but you can do it indirectly this way. That's what we did with an inheritance, and by the time we had drained one account, we could keep maxing out those contributions without any supplemental income.

Psst.... Wellesley
Do we know how old this investor is? IMHO, VWIAX is way too conservative for someone younger, and its performance lags the S&P by 2-3X since inception. I tell new younger investors to just go with VTI or VOO. No point in holding conservative investments when one's young, especially if you're not prone to panic selling.

Do we know how old this investor is? IMHO, VWIAX is way too conservative for someone younger, and its performance lags the S&P by 2-3X since inception. I tell new younger investors to just go with VTI or VOO. No point in holding conservative investments when one's young, especially if you're not prone to panic selling.
Hopefully the OP will do his homework and make a good decision, but I agree on younger people being aggressive, 100% equities for many though I would include a dollop of international equities. I think Morningstar's usual recommendation is in the neighborhood of 30%. Our equities (aka VTWAX) are about 40% international right now.

If you read these (in order) you will know more than many financial advisors:

"If You Can" by William Bernstein https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf (free 16 page download)

"The Coffee House Investor" by Bill Schultheis https://www.amazon.com/Coffeehouse-Investor-Wealth-Ignore-Street/dp/159184584X (This is Bill's first book; read it before reading his second one.)

"The Bogleheads Guide to Investing" by Taylor Larimore et al https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide-Investing-Taylor-Larimore/dp/0470067365

If you prefer a web-based approach, this is a good place to start:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started (The entirety of that site can be a bit intimidating though, so beware.)

Great places to start for learning.
Your age is a factor,, as the younger you are, the more aggressive you can be. However, you mention having the money in a safe place, so knowing your "sleep at night" asset allocation is important. Some of the worst decisions can be made if you panic during a downturn. Learned that the hard way, before I listened to my Dad and eventually made my way here to this forum later in life and started reading/learning even more. This is a great place to be!

Mpithsalvation the group can give better insights if you would consider divulging a few more things. I'll give examples that may be rule of thumbs that others may or may not agree with, but concepts work for me.

Your relative age, decade of life, or even working retired, and general health as
1. some investments are longer term say 17 years for general stock market cycles, in other words if you buy and everything goes down and you hold this is historically about when you could making money again. Cycles seem shorter lately though.
2. some are intermediate say 7-10 years say like real estate or a REIT due to real estate boom bust cycles,
3. some are short term like a cd that basically loses against inflation historically but tends not to fluctuate as wildly short term. interest rates have their own cycles often manipulated by the FED.

What do you want the money for? Inheritance to family, charity, pay of the national debt ; ). Could even be an extended emergency fund. Or more commonly unsure, but some toys now, maybe some later, and grow what's left?

Probably everyone here has lost money at times and made money at times.
Winning is a lot more fun. I had a friend who was a gambler. He said while i called it stock investing, he thought of it as gambling. The difference he said was when he gambled historically the gambling house was the winner, and historically the people could make money from stock. However, in the book investors anthology it explained that prior to the railroads in the wild, wild west of the 1800's no stock was thought suitable for regular non wealthy individuals to own as too risky and even then, only railroad stock was considered safe enough to risk owning.

Now indexes are considered volatile but relatively safe over time measured in decades and individual stocks are still considered risky unless you sort of make your own index by having many companies in many areas and possibly in many countries. But even then, significant world economic downturns crossed borders easily.*

And if you don't invest your money, it will be like a solid air freshener. A big chunk of it is there when first opened and as it sublimates (dissolving from a solid to a gas) That remaining dried out core is your buying power being reduced by inflation.

With all that said, I and most everyone here invests somehow. Usually it is Real estate, stocks, CDs, treasuries, collectibles, gold, bitcoin, silver. But when you read more the list is much longer.

I think your friend was wise to refer you here. Even if they told you exactly what they bought and were 100% winning, you might not hear about when they sold just before a collapse.

I get too wordy, and I tend to be too cautious in investing, such that i miss out on many things. Find someone whose writing is understandable to you and whose beliefs about investing align with yours. Best of luck to you!

Yeah, I think a bit more info would be useful. No need to make it too specific or personal. You could even list your assets as % of spending or some such if you don't like to put down actual numbers. Whatever you're comfortable sharing would make it easier for us old timers to give you some suggestions.

We look forward to hearing your inputs to the community.

Since you're working with a broker you have some investment experience.

Since you asked, here's what I would do.

Open an account at Vanguard and put the whole pile in the Fed Money Market, currently yielding around 5%.

Next, put the maximum contribution allowed into a Roth IRA for 2023 before April 15th. Then put the maximum contribution allowed into this Roth for 2024. You can do both on the same day, just indicate which tax year the contribution is for. Do the same for 2025 on January 1st. Repeat every year til it is all in the Roth.

Invest the Roth proceeds into a broad index such as SP500 or Total Stock Index as soon as you place the money in there.

Forget you have this money until you're in your 60's or beyond and then decide how to spend your windfall.

I'm approaching 60 and when I look at my holdings I realize more than ever how valuable Roths are. Tax free income is nice at any age, and they are very efficient to leave to the next generation.

If you're already maxing out a Roth I would take the whole pile and invest it with Vanguard in an index EFT and forget about it til you're in your 60's.

This is free advice from a stranger on the internet.

Last edited:
Welcome. You will get lots of good advice here.

Remember that you don't need to do anything quickly with this money. Its perfectly acceptable to let it sit quietly in a savings account (or CD or money market fund) for a few months while you learn a bit.

As others have noted, you're off on the right foot looking for something simple.

+1. The best thing to do, short term, is...nothing except maybe a CD. Let the dust settle before you do something you'll later regret. However, I vote for only one exception: If you don't have an emergency fund of liquid cash, I'd fund that first.

Since you're working with a broker you have some investment experience.

Since you asked, here's what I would do.

Open an account at Vanguard and put the whole pile in the Fed Money Market, currently yielding around 5%.

Next, put the maximum contribution allowed into a Roth IRA for 2023 before April 15th. Then put the maximum contribution allowed into this Roth for 2024. You can do both on the same day, just indicate which tax year the contribution is for. Do the same for 2025 on January 1st. Repeat every year til it is all in the Roth.

Invest the Roth proceeds into a broad index such as SP500 or Total Stock Index as soon as you place the money in there.

Forget you have this money until you're in your 60's or beyond and then decide how to spend your windfall.

I'm approaching 60 and when I look at my holdings I realize more than ever how valuable Roths are. Tax free income is nice at any age, and they are very efficient to leave to the next generation.

If you're already maxing out a Roth I would take the whole pile and invest it with Vanguard in an index EFT and forget about it til you're in your 60's.

This is free advice from a stranger on the internet.

Heh, heh, I like the "free advice" statement and do hereby append it (thanks.)

Roths give you a lot of flexibility to avoid tax bracket creep as well as the income "pitfalls" like IRMAA and NIIT when you really need an extra chunk of money for something in a given year. It's these kinds of things (as well as favorable inheritance) that make Roths better than just the possible tax savings later on. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom