2012 Mayan prediction, part 2

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
(the original thread with this title appears to have expired, so starting a new one)

I don't know if the world will end this week, but if it does I think we will probably turn into zombies for at least a couple of days before we disintegrate or explode. Therefore, it may be good to get a little practice in. This may help.

Nellie McKay "Zombie" - YouTube

A really tricked out orange SUV parked next to us the other day. It had this cool decal on its dark tinted rear windows:
images

Last edited:
I'm not at all worried. I'm going to follow the OFFICIAL guidelines that the Centers for Disease Control provide, discussed in this website:

CDC - Blogs - Public Health Matters Blog – Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse

There are all kinds of emergencies out there that we can prepare for. Take a zombie apocalypse for example. That’s right, I said z-o-m-b-i-e a-p-o-c-a-l-y-p-s-e. You may laugh now, but when it happens you’ll be happy you read this, and hey, maybe you’ll even learn a thing or two about how to prepare for a real emergency.

Attachments

• blogbanner_zombieprep_560x140.jpg
    blogbanner_zombieprep_560x140.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I will have to give Ms G a re-lesson on stuffing hi-cap magazines.

Nice forecast pic, HFWR.:)

This book has been extremely helpful for us

180px-Zombiesurvivalguide.jpg

More seriously, I heard part of a public radio show where an archeologist specializing in Mayan culture and history was debunking these "pop culture predictions". It was also pointed out that the real opportunity is to get people interested in learning about this amazing advanced culture (particularly in the areas of mathematics and architecture) and giving it the credit it deserves as the "Egypt of the Americas".

Here's a link to the show for anyone interested:
Mayan Cosmology | On Point with Tom Ashbrook

Just cause I didn't know what else to do with this...and I wanted people to have a chance to see it before it's too late. :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 17
I know that the world will not end this week. Why are the media so keen to repeat such stupid predictions ? Isn't the world scary enough as it is, after what just happened for example in Newton, CT?

steelyman said:
I don't know if the world will end this week, [/URL]

I know that the world will not end this week. Why are the media so keen to repeat such stupid predictions ? Isn't the world scary enough as it is, after what just happened for example in Newton, CT?
If you have to ask why, you must still believed that media is journalism. :nonono::LOL:

Oh, that was just a thinly-veiled excuse for me to post that Nellie McKay video.

For those who don't know her (most don't), she's an immensely talented singer-songwriter from Brooklyn whose music is unclassifiable, but always thoughtful, stylish and fun!

In fact, I liked that one so much I think I'll do it again! This one has nothing to do with Mayans or zombies, but at least it's seasonally appropriate :)

Nellie McKay - Take Me Away - live Wiltern, December 6, 2008 - YouTube

I know that the world will not end this week. Why are the media so keen to repeat such stupid predictions ?
How can you be certain? Even the CDC is warning about a Zombie Apocalypse. See the link in Feever's earlier post.

I am much more worried about (an overdue) viral pandemic....
MichaelB said:
How can you be certain? Even the CDC is warning about a Zombie Apocalypse. See the link in Feever's earlier post.

I have to admit I'm very concerned as well.
The calendar in my kitchen ends abruptly on December 31. Nothing after that at all. It's frightening. :nonono:

The ten-day difference between my calendar and the Mayan one is within the margin of error, I think.

When I point this out to my friends, they tell me I can go to a store and buy a new calendar that takes up where the current one leaves off, but how can I be sure these supposed replacement calendars are legitimate? They could be part of a vast hoax being perpetrated on us all.

What to do? What to do?

Perhaps I'll have a beer. :greetings10:

I see that the prediction is causing enough trouble in China for authorities to make some arrests.

BBC News - China makes 500 doomsday cult arrests

(bolded is mine)

Chinese police have arrested more than 500 members of a doomsday cult for spreading rumours about the imminent end of the world, state media say. At least 400 followers of the Almighty God Christian group were detained in western Qinghai province in recent days. Dozens more were held elsewhere.

In Henan province, six officials have been sacked after a knife attack by a suspected doomsday cult disciple wounded more than 20 children.

Seems odd that some/any reasonable folks in China and the USA believe it, when AFAIK the (depending on source) 1.5-7MM Mayans still around don't seem to be collectivley worried. They must all use the Gregorian calendar nowadays, where the world ends after 12/31/2012 - unless you buy a 2013 calendar...

What will "we" fret about next, of when is the next world end date?

Hava a safety and emissions inspection of my car scheduled for the 21st. If the world has ended on that day, I guess I'll skip that little exercise.

OK, everyone relax and take a deep breath. We're going to put this story to rest with science.

Well, maybe not science per se, but with a scientist at least. And not just any scientist, but the eminent and illustrious Sir Isaac Newton, no less.

Old Ike gives us until 2060, so we can continue our foolish ways for another 47 years at least.
a large amount of media attention and public interest has circulated regarding largely unknown and unpublished documents, evidently written by Isaac Newton, that indicate he believed the world could end in 2060 AD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Newton%27s_religious_views

Whew! That's a relief!

Wait, did I say scientist?
Well, Ike was certainly that, as well as an incredible mathematician, but it's not quite as well known that he was also a certifiable nut job in the religious and alchemical spheres. So you might want to take his "prediction" with a sizable grain of salt.

Back
Top Bottom