2012 Mayan prediction, part 2

OK, everyone relax and take a deep breath. We're going to put this story to rest with science.

Well, maybe not science per se, but with a scientist at least. And not just any scientist, but the eminent and illustrious Sir Isaac Newton, no less.

Old Ike gives us until 2060, so we can continue our foolish ways for another 47 years at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Newton%27s_religious_views

Whew! That's a relief!

Wait, did I say scientist?
Well, Ike was certainly that, as well as an incredible mathematician, but it's not quite as well known that he was also a certifiable nut job in the religious and alchemical spheres. So you might want to take his "prediction" with a sizable grain of salt.
I'd call you a spoilsport but the avatar is just too good. Well done on both counts!

I used to belong to a forum where everyone was required to put a holiday touch on their avatars. Nice idea, IMHO.

Wow. How did you do this? I'd like the same using a stethoscope...
braumeister said:
I used to belong to a forum where everyone was required to put a holiday touch on their avatars. Nice idea, IMHO.

Wow. How did you do this? I'd like the same using a stethoscope...

Google is your friend

images

images

images

How will we know if the world ends? Will someone put up a sign that says "The End"? I'm so confused and I already went and bought a 2013 cat calendar to support CAT.

How will we know if the world ends? Will someone put up a sign that says "The End"? I'm so confused and I already went and bought a 2013 cat calendar to support CAT.

I'm sure someone will post the result on this site.

a large amount of media attention and public interest has circulated regarding largely unknown and unpublished documents, evidently written by Isaac Newton, that indicate he believed the world could end in 2060 AD.

Thank goodness. I was worried that after 2013 we wouldn't have another absurd end of the world deadline for cranks to obsess about. Harold Camping seems to have stopped, too.

Also, some town in France has closed it's borders due to rumors that it alone will survive the Mayan 2012 catastrophe, whatever it might be. They were overwhelmed (and overrun) with escapists, but are baffled why their town has been singled out.

Also, some town in France has closed it's borders due to rumors that it alone will survive the Mayan 2012 catastrophe, whatever it might be. They were overwhelmed (and overrun) with escapists, but are baffled why their town has been singled out.
Based on this post from FIREd on Monday he may have some details on this he might share. Unfortunately you just missed him...

Leaving for France/Switzerland tomorrow.

So, it's December 21st in New Zealand. They're still there. Can we conclude anything from that? Personally, I think Braumeister is on to something.

Glad I didn't buy any of the 2012 Doomsday wine they featured on CBS This Morning...

Based on this post from FIREd on Monday he may have some details on this he might share. Unfortunately you just missed him...

Dec 21 starts in about 4 hours here. Hunkering down...:D

My smarty pants hubby just pointed out that Mayans didn't live in NZ so we still have a few hours to go before we get to test the calendar theory.

My friend in Australia is still alive. Life is good. And if the Maya had been able to predict the end of the world, they certainly would have taken into account time zones.

My friend in Australia is still alive. Life is good. And if the Maya had been able to predict the end of the world, they certainly would have taken into account time zones.

Although the Mayans didn't have railroads, the operators of which were the primary drivers for time zones, and "standard" time.

Although the Mayans didn't have railroads, the operators of which were the primary drivers for time zones, and "standard" time.

The Mayans were awesome engineers. Maybe they were train engineers too.

A pretty limited engineering repertoire though, without the wheel.

Yes, I know they knew about wheels (used them in toys for kids) but I don't think they ever used the wheel in a practical sense.

I wonder, do people that take an end of the world scenario seriously keep on doing it? Did the folks that believed the Harold Camping end of the world prediction for May 21, 2011 just moved right on over to the Mayan end of the world 12/21/12 or is it different folks?

Back
Top Bottom