55 Degrees Bad For House?

I kept the fire going a little longer last night, and today it was 61 degrees in the morning. Temp outside was about the same as night before.

The big payoff for us in not using the central furnace is that we can go for a whole year without refilling our 300 gal propane tank, and thus buy at the low summer prices.

Cube-rat, you might consider running your central heating a few minutes a month. I've heard that prolonged inactivity can cause problems (dust, rust, bust).

Al speaks wisely. Run it for about 10 minutes every now and then. I even turn mine on in mid summer for about 10-15 minutes once or twice. You can get some condensation inside the case and it doesnt hurt the motors to do a few turns periodically.

TromboneAl said:
Cube-rat, you might consider running your central heating a few minutes a month.  I've heard that prolonged inactivity can cause problems (dust, rust, bust).

Yep, you're correct. However, I'm downright scared to turn on the heating system.

We had a horrific carpenter ant problem when we moved in our place. Once the nests were nuked in the treestumps outside, we had multitudes of carpenter ants (at various stages of development...it was weird indeed :p) come in through our vents to try and escape their demise. The eventually died and I was forever vacuuming carcasses. I'm worried about turning on the heat and having carcasses blow out through the vents. I can't seem to convince DH to go into the attic to clean up dead bodies.

Oh well, I guess I should open my umbrella and turn on the heat.

Growing up, my parents didn't have a pot to pee in so the heat was turned OFF at night and this was in Indiana. Our house was none the worse for wear!

Back
Top Bottom