9 million Names of God

HsiaoChu

Recycles dryer sheets
There was a sci fi story which was made into a Outer Limits or Twilight Zone story about a monestery that believe that after they catalogued the 9 million names of God, the universe would end.

So..... I'm thinking that after we catalog the 9 million reasons to retire, then everyone CAN RETIRE.

Lets start here:

1. Everyone at work is younger than you and you no longer have anyone to commiserate with.

There was a sci fi story which was made into a Outer Limits or Twilight Zone story about a monestery that believe that after they catalogued the 9 million names of God, the universe would end.

First tell me if they were successful.

It's a really old Arthur C. Clarke short story, but it was actually the 9 Billion names of God. So it's going to be a while before everyone retires. :cool:

Just found a link to the story if anybody wants to read it. A classic from the Golden Age of Sci Fi. http://lucis.net/stuff/clarke/9billion_clarke.html

Last edited:
Can't one of the programmers on this board write Mark V emulator software to generate all possible combinations of reasons for retirement? That way we can retire from the task of coming up with 9 billion reasons to retire...

I agree that the story is a classic from the golden age.

That was one of my favorites from high school sci fi class. That and "Marching Morons" and "Scanners live in vain."

Can't one of the programmers on this board write Mark V emulator software to generate all possible combinations of reasons for retirement?
Just as soon as it finishes determining the "real" SWR... and whether or not we should pay off our mortgages first.

Overhead, quietly and without any fuss, one by one the stars were going out.
(or something like that)

So..... I'm thinking that after we catalog the 9 million reasons to retire, then everyone CAN RETIRE.

Lets start here:

1. Everyone at work is younger than you and you no longer have anyone to commiserate with.
Unless listing all the reasons means that retirement itself comes to an end. :eek:

But no, that's crazy talk!

2. So you can stay up until you get sleepy, and then sleep until you wake up, every day.

I've liked science fiction before it became science fantasy or when they just set the story on another planet or introduce aliens to cover a mediocre story.

Back
Top Bottom