BFF 0.5 Million In Debt at 79 Has Passed Away

Koolau

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I wasn't sure where to post this. It contains "Life After Fire" aspects as well as "Fire and Money aspects."

My BFF passed a few days ago. He died very suddenly of a brain bleed. I've been vacillating between feelings of relief that he is in a better place and is finally out of pain that was constant due to degenerative effects of arthritis. (I'm coming to know that feeling.) On the other hand, I already miss him so much. This is a sad time for me and his family and extensive netw*rk of friends.

-----------

Probably most of you will recall that I often refer to my BFF who I've known from Megacorp for 53 years. We have been in and out of good times and bad. He always makes me laugh with his stories and the various stuff we've pulled together over the years. Heh, heh, I hope the statute of limitations has expired.:LOL:

I always mention that he's (age has varied to 79 now) and half a million in debt. How does such a thing happen. Well, he is that guy who could never delay gratification. If he had to take out a loan (even at ridiculous interest) he would do it rather than wait until he could scrape the cash together.

He w*rked at the same megascorp as I did and though we were totally different in our c@reer paths, we made about the same money. He was a bit older and JUST qualified for an early-out package which meant he no longer got a salary. He did some odds and ends (driving clunkers to the auction, etc.) but his "good" j*b was driving school bus. I think he got about $65/day for an early morning trip and an early afternoon trip. Little responsibility other than impeccable driving and never touching a kid. What a pain as all he could do is call in if a kid got out of hand - which was not uncommon.

One problem - his DW wanted a new house as the old one was one that BFF had cobbled together (pretty well, actually) 20 miles from town. So, they somehow qualified for a major mortgage, moved into the new house and then tried to sell the old place. Nothing w*rked and he finally let a guy live there on a rent to own basis - I needn't even mention how that turned out. SO, essentially, he let the old house go back to the bank as he owed more on it than he could sell it for. Every time he got equity on the old house, he borrowed it out! I've forgotten the details, but the bank insisted that he pay what they couldn't get from the sale of his old house.

BFF loved racing and built several race cars over the years. He'd spend $10K to as much as $25K to win $200 to $500 first prizes. He even got in one of the "magazines" after a 1st place win in his class (think he won $200.)

Now, back when BFF retired early, he was so proud of himself because he had actually saved money in his 401(k). He had $20K! Since he wasn't yet old enough, he not only paid the taxes but also the 10% penalty to get enough money to upgrade his OLD house!

SO, if you're still with me, I'm worried about BFF's DW. They were very close, (eventually) committed church goers (kind and generous to strangers, jail prisoners, etc.) BUT... I spoke with DW and casually enquired about her finances (which I knew in shambles.) Her response: BFF took care of all that. I was disheartened but hardly surprised.

I don't know if I will be "invited" to help her figure stuff out, but if so, I'm asking the community here for advice.

The "good" news is that DW will get BFFs reasonably good SS and 1/4 of his truly meager pension. The bad news - I think that's it. She had collected pretty good SS before so they must have been knocking down around $70K to $80K per year. Hard to believe they were in such debt. (By the way, it sounds like BFF spent all the money - he did not. DW was a BIG spender (buying piles of clothes, knick knacks etc. for the kids who were adults with children, insisting on driving a new car at all times (his and hers) and buying baskets and artificial arrangements for the house. Best guess: Her total income will drop to about $40K/year. Not sure how big a problem it will be, but now her taxes will be as "single."

I'm thinking - try to get rid of the race car - but where do you start?

A few years back, they were able to do the "credit card relief" thing so I doubt they can do it again.

Of course, in theory, there is bankruptcy relief. I forget if she would keep the house and car(s).

I worried about this for DW for a long time. I talked to BFF many times and he would duck it.

Insurance: Maybe he has some, but I only know of $5K plus SS. I HOPE that he had to carry mortgage insurance since I'm sure he never paid over 20% of his total. I don't even know if the death of a spouse kicks in the mortgage insurance since DW is still living.

Does anyone know of some kind of "hacks" DW can use since, at this point, I don't think she even knows what shape she's in?

This has been a tough few days for me. Will attend funeral next week. Yeah, it's tough. Sorry this is so long.

I'm no help other than to give you my condolences. Interesting history of him and your friendship through the year.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. No advice. Have only dealt with family finances after a loss. Never for a friend. Good luck. You are a smart even keeled guy. Go with your instincts.

I'm no help other than o wish you my condolences. Interesting history of him and your friendship through the year.

Thanks.

And yeah, like they say, there are a million stories. Neither he nor I are the same people we were "back in the day." So I'd be embarrassed to talk about many of our "experiences."

I do have one amazing story (just on BFF.) BFF had a fake ID so he could get into bars or buy beer. One day, he got caught and the police were called. BFF was hauled into the police station whereupon he attempted to destroy his fake license. Unfortunately, he had laminated it.

When the police saw what he was doing, they quickly tried to stop the destruction of evidence. BFF took off running out of the police station. BFF was in good shape and was out running the police. As luck would have it, some friends of BFF happened to be cruising down the street in an open convertible with an outside temp of maybe 35 degrees F. One of the guys in the convertible waved at BFF and yelled "How ya doin'?"

The utter hilarity of the situation (3 cops chasing a half-drunk teen down the street with guys in a convertible in the winter asking him how he's doing) simply cracked BFF up. The cops quickly grabbed him. I'll leave all the fall out for another (related story.) Suffice to say, BFF ended up in the military.

You can't make this stuff up!

Sorry for your loss. At 62, I have only lost one friend and it was not a BFF. Still, it hurt.

As for the DW, make sure she wants any help from you. If so, the first thing is gathering information so you can fully assess the situation. Right now, it’s too soon. In time, you’ll know what you can do to help. Take care.

Suffice to say, BFF ended up in the military.

You can't make this stuff up!

And I just volunteered. Silly me. I could have had a great story like that.

Again, my condolences.

LOL! Now that is funny, must have been quite the character.

Sorry for your loss. At 62, I have only lost one friend and it was not a BFF. Still, it hurt.

As for the DW, make sure she wants any help from you. If so, the first thing is gathering information so you can fully assess the situation. Right now, it’s too soon. In time, you’ll know what you can do to help. Take care.

You are so right. Now is the time to heal. In the future, she needs to find out exactly where she stands. Thanks and aloha.

And I just volunteered. Silly me. I could have had a great story like that.

Again, my condolences.

Heh, heh, trust me; Your way was better!

Thanks so much.

LOL! Now that is funny, must have been quite the character.

To the very end!

When he found a "better way" he still never lost his sense of humor nor his ability to crack people up. I'm off the scale introvert but BFF could crack up a room and have folks begging for more. Surprisingly, he was just as effective at hilarity when he said goodbye to his best friend (alcohol - with thanks to Joe Walsh in "One Day at a Time.")

My condolences Koolau and a great story. That is the best that you can do now.

I think you're right. It's always good during grief to remember the good times. Those old stories with BFF come flooding back. Somehow the sadness is a sweet sadness.

I am sorry for the loss of your BFF, but would also caution you to be careful trying to help. It sounds like DW hasn't been involved and isn't interested in finances. Also sounds like at least up to now, she hasn't been willing to make the required sacrifices.

I can see her thinking she should spend to deal with her grief now. If things eventually come crashing down, she may try to blame someone else.

You have a good heart to want to do something to help. If there are any charitable/low cost budgeting or financial awareness resources available, you might be able to point her to them. Suggesting an online budgeting system might be good. But unless she's motivated to take responsibility here, you won't be able to do much to help.

My condolences to you Koolau, for the loss of your BFF. (I lost mine at 26 in a car accident - also a character - so full of the joy of life.)

Try to enjoy the happy memories.

Re the DW, it is too soon. Maybe the children will step up and help her with the reorganization. I suspect with on 1/4 of his pension, and one SS - that she would not be able to afford the upkeep, maintenance and mortgage on the house, so it may eventually be an issue of finding her a place to live.

My condolences to you Koolau, for the loss of your BFF. (I lost mine at 26 in a car accident - also a character - so full of the joy of life.)

Try to enjoy the happy memories.

Re the DW, it is too soon. Maybe the children will step up and help her with the reorganization. I suspect with on 1/4 of his pension, and one SS - that she would not be able to afford the upkeep, maintenance and mortgage on the house, so it may eventually be an issue of finding her a place to live.

Her kids are full grown but most are as big of spend thrifts as their mom and dad. One kid has had substance issues (with legal consequences.) I honestly fear a real disaster, financially for her - but not much I can do, I guess.

I am sorry for the loss of your BFF, but would also caution you to be careful trying to help. It sounds like DW hasn't been involved and isn't interested in finances. Also sounds like at least up to now, she hasn't been willing to make the required sacrifices.

I can see her thinking she should spend to deal with her grief now. If things eventually come crashing down, she may try to blame someone else.

You have a good heart to want to do something to help. If there are any charitable/low cost budgeting or financial awareness resources available, you might be able to point her to them. Suggesting an online budgeting system might be good. But unless she's motivated to take responsibility here, you won't be able to do much to help.

I'm afraid you are right. My gut tells me I'll have to wait until the full magnitude of the situation is understood by DW. At that point, she might be amenable to "change" though I don't know. BFF described her upbringing as abject poverty. She is still reacting to that I think. It's funny because some folks become very adaptable when stressed. Others adopt near neurotic coping mechanisms.

I'm sure glad I turned out perfectly.:angel:

Her kids are full grown but most are as big of spend thrifts as their mom and dad. One kid has had substance issues (with legal consequences.) I honestly fear a real disaster, financially for her - but not much I can do, I guess.

No - not from a financial standpoint. You and your DW can be emotional support, company, lend an ear, etc.

I did a quick search for PMI - and from what I found, it does not protect a survivor. Additional insurance - Mortgage protection insurance - would be required for that.

I am sorry for your loss. If DW is is real financial trouble but has adult kids perhaps that is her fallback - she may need them to take her in. I hope there is at least one kid who can help.

I am sorry for your loss. If DW is is real financial trouble but has adult kids perhaps that is her fallback - she may need them to take her in. I hope there is at least one kid who can help.

Here's the real pathetic issue with her kids: All but the substance abuser make a lot more than mom and dad ever did - and he used to make more. YET, they "take" from mom and dad. Borrow a truck - return it empty. Take mom and dad out to dinner with the whole bunch of GKs - and let dad pay. Have dad pay 10K for bail, lawyer, monitoring system, etc. THEN not hold a j*b. Get arrested again and expect dad to come up with the new bail and lawyer, etc.

Heh, heh, I would have let the kid rot (well, the second time.)

Okay, another BFF story. By the way, the way BFF was back then and the man he became is night and day - though his sense of humor has never changed.

So, BFF must have been about 18. He took a girl for a ride in his (IIRC the story) about a 51 plymouth 4 door. He was showing off, spinning his car on a dusty dirt road. Something went wrong and he rolled the car. By some miracle neither BFF or the girl with him got more than a bruise or two. BUT the car, which had made a full 360 degree roll, was now shaped like the roof of a house. It was all scrunched in, all the back windows were broken out and the windshield was badly cracked. The girl was NOT happy. BUT, the thing started right up and was drivable. Sort of.

Knowing the car's days were numbered, BFF was again out (this time by himself) playing with the car, sliding around and being generally a potential nuisance. As luck would have it, he stalled the car so he'd pulled off the road JUST as a police car came from behind. The officer started reading BFF the riot act. BFF "sincerely" stated that he was simply trying to get the old wreck to the scrap yard as he couldn't afford transport via wrecker. He even told the officer that his mom was coming to pick him up - which was a lie. The officer was skeptical until, another miracle, here came BFFs mom who didn't even know that the car had been wrecked the day before.

So recognizing her son (more than the very strange looking car) she stopped. The officer asked her if she was there to pick up her son from the scrap yard. "Oh, yes, officer. In fact my son hopes to take the wheels off the car and put them in my trunk. They're fairly new, and he hopes to use them when he buys another used car which probably won't have safe rubber on it."

The officer bought it and let BFF off with a verbal warning to go STRAIGHT to the scrap yard.

BFF said it was a real bonding experience with his mom. She played the game perfectly and pulled his bacon out of the fire.

Sorry for your (and her) loss.

On the 1/2 million in debt:

It might be "his", "hers", or "theirs".

Some might be forgiven at his death (student loans, for example).

"His" debts should be paid in a certain priority order, to the extent that he had assets to pay them. This can vary by state.

If "his" and unsecured and not enough assets, it might be written off. Credit cards, for example.

My sympathy Koolau. I’ve had friends from a previous life die as well. It’s very sad. I think part of the reason is that, at least for me, that part of my life also dies with that friend’s death.

And if that part of life was wonderful then it is doubly sad.

No advice but I'm sorry you've lost your friend. I always got a smile from your stories of him, and I was rooting for him to never experience fall out from his grasshopper lifestyle.

I've lost three close friends and my BFF, most from the shenanigan years. Great memories have flooded back since reading this thread. All were married and left behind varied financial pictures, several that were dire. My suggestion is to be a resource for his widow and not the solution. I've been tempted to step in further and it would have been a mistake to do so, as I would have only delayed the financial reckoning that needed to happen.

Back
Top Bottom