A vacuum that sucks!

Cordless stick Dyson here.

I got one off amazon, a refurb later model, probably only paid $200 for it, but that was after shopping around.

I have both a dyson ball costco version (all the extra attachments of the animal) and a dyson v6.

I use the upright ball for the large surfaces and thorough vacuuming. I use the v6 (cordless - handheld) for quick cleanups, cobwebs/ceiling fans, and the stairs. I love how light weight it is.

My sister has just retired her main vacuum and is only using the v6... it's light enough and she has 100% hard surfaces for flooring. I like that it has an attachment with a beater brush - so it's great on carpet.

I guess I'm resurrecting this thread, DW wants a new sweeper for Christmas. Well, I guess DW wants a new sweeper for me to use. LOL. First floor is ceramic tile, and carpet. The carpet will be turning into hardwood flooring within the year. I see several votes for the Shark Navigator with a 20% coupon, should I hold your feet to the fire on that choice?

We use a Shark rechargeable vacuum for the kitchen, and it cost $99 minus 20% on sale. It actually picks up better than our full size vacuum.

We don't know how we lived without it. Still see no reason to spend them big money for Dyson.

I guess I'm resurrecting this thread, DW wants a new sweeper for Christmas. Well, I guess DW wants a new sweeper for me to use. LOL. First floor is ceramic tile, and carpet. The carpet will be turning into hardwood flooring within the year. I see several votes for the Shark Navigator with a 20% coupon, should I hold your feet to the fire on that choice?
I have that vac, I bought it soon after I moved into my current condo. It's great, better than my previous more expensive vac. Also, it is fairly quiet.

Ha

Miele Marin.
Sucks great and is quiet.
0089948_miele-marin-complete-c3-vacuum-with-seb236-electrobrush_300.jpeg

My mom has an expensive Dyson vacuum. I don't care for it. It's bulky and I don't think it sucks very well.

I bought a Shark Navigator NV42 a couple years ago and love it. It's lightweight, has good suction, a nice long cord, no bags to change, and the hose and attachments are on the vacuum ready to use. I also like that I can turn off the beater bar to vacuum our tile and hardwood floors:

https://www.amazon.com/Navigator-Deluxe-Upright-Champagne-NV42/dp/B007L5I7DY/ref=sr_1_3

Miele Marin.
Sucks great and is quiet.
0089948_miele-marin-complete-c3-vacuum-with-seb236-electrobrush_300.jpeg

Another vote for the Miele. However, get one that is made in Germany if possible (budget).

I had a Dyson and a Shark. The Shark was better than the Dyson, but did not care for them. Liked the Shark better than the Dyson. The Dyson actually pulled so much carpet fiber from my carpet, that it damaged it. As for a hard surface floor, a canister, IMHO, is the better way to go and the Miele is a great machine.

We like the Shark Rotator, which someone on the forum recommended a while back (I think it was Freebird?) Yes, it does pull a lot of carpet fiber if you use full suction plus the brush roll. Dial back the suction a bit, and it leaves the carpet intact. The full suction is great for crumbs on hardwood floors.

I have two complaints about the Dyson 07 model: Cleaning the dog hair out of the beater and sole plate can be very tedious. It was not engineered very well for that purpose. Also, there are tiny casters on the bottom of the sole plate that pop out (with some difficulty) for cleaning out the wads of hair they collect. The axles slip out of the casters, making them very easy to lose while you're trying to reassemble the unit. Dyson doesn't offer the casters or axles as replacement parts -- you have to buy a replacement sole plate for $18.99. Somewhere in China they're making the caster assemblies 10 for $1.00.

BTW, yes, we have two collies. :D

When I bought my first house (a tiny one) around 1973, also bought a vacuum cleaner. Electrolux. On a payment plan. I was broke for the most part, as is usual for first home buyers. making around $2.25/hr. Still have it still works.

Then around ten years ago found another one just like it, at goodwill $5.- . I use it at the mancave, runs fine on inverter power. The only repair to the original was a new hose.

They both suck, awesome.

Use a damp cloth to clean ceiling fans. Why risk having a vacuum cleaner on a step ladder?

We have a Dyson animal and love it ...amazing suction and superb warranty...

I've been a fan of Dysons for quite some time. I've had an Animal version for about 14 years now and it still works great, but is somewhat heavy. I just bought the cordless V8 Animal version and am very happy with it on stairs and areas that the heavy vacuum has a harder time getting to. I've never run out of battery time doing the tasks I've done with the cordless.

DW bought a Riccar canister vacuum about 10 years ago, and it is one of the nicer products that we have purchased. It is a nice looking somewhat funky design that works great, and it has held up over the years. We both like it, and we will buy another if this one quits working.

They are similar to the Miele canister vacuums, but they cost slightly less.

JP

For carpets, the Dyson Animal rocks - though mine started falling apart after only 5 years of heavy carpet use.

For bare floors and area rugs, I prefer Electrolux and Miele canisters.

How about a Consumer Reports article?
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...carpet-cleaning-and-pet-hair-pickup/index.htm

I bought the Kenmore 31140 based on the reports and it's great, except the flexible hose that's a part of the machine is quite short. If you use attachments on the end of that hose, then this will not be the vacuum for you. Otherwise, suction power is tops, that's why I got it. $171 right now. (And I've owned Dyson, Shark, and others. Shark has a very narrow brush, so it takes a long time to do a room/house. Dyson is/was fine, but somewhere I read the Kenmore handily beats it with respect to suction power.)

We have an Oreck XL.

Light, manageable, bags are cheap, belts are cheap, doesn't destroy the carpet by being so brutal. No fancy attachments, gadgets, etc.

Even my wife can easily manhandle it on stairs and tight spaces.

Sometimes less is more.

I used Consumer Reports once. To decide what vacuum to buy. It highly recommended some Hoover that after having to replace the switch twice, I abandoned. Now have a Dyson that wouldn't trade for the carpet, which we really don't have any more except for area rugs. Have two hound dogs that can shed a cubic foot of fluff in a week, and the Roomba is excellent for keeping the hardwoods in good shape. Got it at Bed Bath and Beyond w a 20% off coupon. If you have hardwoods/tile, it does a great job.

Back
Top Bottom