A vacuum that sucks!

Newventurer

Recycles dryer sheets
The 15 year old Hoover that came with DW and has power Drive, which makes it very heavy, is on its way out. I do the housecleaning and the thing is just too heavy and I don't need the power drive. I need to do carpet, entry door mats, put it up on a ladder when I clean the ceiling fans and something with a wand for cleaning around the edges of the hardwood floors.

I am not a big fan of spending over $250, and not interested in iRobot or the such

We have just about abandoned full size vacuums.

We're now using a rechargeable Shark Navigator that bought at Bed Bath and Beyond for $99 minus a 20% coupon in the Sunday newspaper. Kohls sometimes has them in stock too.

The little vacuum is so light, and it picks up trash more than either our full size uprights and the Kenmore canister vacuum with the power head. The clean out takes about 10 seconds.

We grab it off its charger and use it probably 10 times per day for something around the kitchen. Liked it so well, we bought a second Shark to put in our RV, as we cannot live without it.

I had the same issue a few years ago. We bought a commercial Hoover CH30000. It goes over your shoulder, the body is very light, and the wand part is VERY lightweight and easy to move around.

https://www.amazon.com/Hoover-CH300...qid=1500656344&sr=8-1&keywords=hoover+ch30000

It's not going to pick up a bowling ball or any of that other marketing stuff, but it is quite convenient to use and does a good job at what we have.

I find myself getting it out much more often than I would have if it had been the old "big-heavy".

Costco sells the Shark Liftaway for about $200 it sucks very well. I like it as it coverts quickly to a canister style, from an upright and has the option to use it without the powered head as a shop vac. Lots of tools come with it. Its the best. We had two dysons we gave away. Also we use the Shark rocket for our commercial business. $100

I like my Oreck XL. Cleans good, has a long cord and very light weight an easy to carry.

I'm happy with a rechargeable Hoover Lynx.

Have owned for a few years. Did need to replace the battery and buy a replacement roller. Other than that, still works great.

Not as powerful as a full vacuum, but so nice to not have to worry about plugging in and unplugging and breaking my back.

I have a Shark navigator and it sucks . I bought it at Bed, bath & beyond using the 20% coupon that is everywhere .

I have a 17 yr old Dyson animal upright that still works very well in terms of suck. It's not particularly heavy and the wand has quite a lot of reach. I recall it as costing $300. 17 yrs ago. Shark is advertised heavily as being cheaper than Dyson but similar/better in suck. Someday, I'll have to find out. But, obviously, Dyson, for me at least wins the performance plus longevity title by a lot. used to have Hoovers but will never go back to that brand. Never had a Hoover last more than 10 yrs and they were no where as good at suck. Now i know they may have caught up in terms of technology by now. But it will be either another Dyson for me when this one finally stops sucking or otherwise breaks down, or a Shark.

I have the Shark Rotator Professional model.

This thing has been going strong for at least three years now, across every surface from carpet, tile, hardwood, metal vents, and vacuuming out the car.

I love the sealed anti-allergen feature with the HEPA filter. That's one of the big reasons I got it, since we have cats and I was horribly allergic to them (I didn't know it was possible to get over an allergy). The lift-away feature and alternate base to turn it into a canister vacuum or make it easier to go over hard floors has been great too.

I was looking at a Dyson and then Miele before this, but for the price and what it can do, I didn't feel this could be beat. Just in case it was crap, I bought it at Kohls for an easy return. I was expecting it to perform poorly, and was expecting to wind up with an expensive Miele and having to replace bags forever. But this has been awesome.

I have a family member who does residential and commercial cleaning. They liked this vacuum enough that they have two or three of them now too.

We switched to a Dyson about a decade ago and will never look back.

Quiet, no dust, sucks the daylight out of the carpets, and is easily cleaned and maintained. There's a book out there by a vacuum shop owner in the UK that basically shows you how to maintain this thing for life.

And, believe it or not, there is a forum for Dyson collectors (!). No, I'm not that bored with life yet.

_B

Quiet, no dust, sucks the daylight out of the carpets, and is easily cleaned and maintained. There's a book out there by a vacuum shop owner in the UK that basically shows you how to maintain this thing for life.

I've had the chance to take apart two models of Dyson. One of their originals, and one of the Animal variety. It is astonishing how easy it is to break just about every part of these things down and get to each area that stuff flows through.

We purchased a Dyson DC24 upright vacuum that has a ball on clearance for about $300USD about 5 years ago at a Portland (no tax!) Home Depot. We think it was a great purchase. Love the performance on it compared to the wimpy vacuums we've purchased in the past. It seems to pick up way more stuff. And we also like the maneuverability of it.

I have a 17 yr old Dyson animal upright that still works very well in terms of suck. It's not particularly heavy and the wand has quite a lot of reach. I recall it as costing $300. 17 yrs ago. Shark is advertised heavily as being cheaper than Dyson but similar/better in suck. Someday, I'll have to find out. But, obviously, Dyson, for me at least wins the performance plus longevity title by a lot. used to have Hoovers but will never go back to that brand. Never had a Hoover last more than 10 yrs and they were no where as good at suck. Now i know they may have caught up in terms of technology by now. But it will be either another Dyson for me when this one finally stops sucking or otherwise breaks down, or a Shark.
+1
Same vacuum, same age, same suck.

I'm Biased towards Electrolux

It was my first sales job, and I won an upright in 1987, that still works to this day. Their canister versions are super powerful, and if you can get the little power head for the car they are awesome.

While working for them I saw many units that were 30-40 years old and running pretty strong.

I bought a hoover in 2000 that was dead in 10 years.

We have a Shark Navigator and it sucks (yay!)

We also just got a Roomba 960 which I really like.

And, believe it or not, there is a forum for Dyson collectors (!). No, I'm not that bored with life yet.

_B

I may be in the minority, but I didn't like the Dyson. The combination of the beater brush/bar and the suction damaged the carpet. At first, I was all impressed at how much stuff it was getting out of the carpet. Then I realized that it was mostly carpet fiber. When I bought a oriental/Persian rug (hand tied medium value), they said if I ran a Dyson on it I would void the warranty.

I use Shark Rockets in all my apartment buildings. I have used Dyson's, and a whole hot of other vacuums.

Shark Rockets are great for stairs and landings. The canister fills up a bit quick, but it is extremely light. And it has a electric brush in the vacuum head, not air powered.

We have a Simplicity vacuum, because it was made in the US. It's ok, but heavier than I like and no power assist. It's about 15 years old.

SIL had a Dyson cordless that she swears by. Based on her recommendation, we bought a V6 Animal cordless a few months ago. It is awesome! Great on carpet at our winter condo and even better on the hard surfaces in our summer home. Highly recommended.

It'll run about 24 minutes on the regular mode... I'm usually tired of vaccuming by then. Also great in the cars and pontoon boat.

Dyson Animal V6 Cordless Vacuum - BJ's Wholesale Club

A bit more than you want to spend but IMO the quality and convenience are worth it.

I have a 17 yr old Dyson animal upright that still works very well in terms of suck. It's not particularly heavy and the wand has quite a lot of reach.
Many here love their Dysons! I didn't quote everyone but read each post.
SIL had a Dyson cordless that she swears by. Based on her recommendation, we bought a V6 Animal cordless a few months ago. It is awesome! Great on carpet at our winter condo and even better on the hard surfaces in our summer home. Highly recommended.

It'll run about 24 minutes on the regular mode... I'm usually tired of vaccuming by then. Also great in the cars and pontoon boat.

Dyson Animal V6 Cordless Vacuum - BJ's Wholesale Club

A bit more than you want to spend but IMO the quality and convenience are worth it.

While reading this thread yesterday, I checked Consumer Reports Online to see what vacuums they liked. I gravitated towards the lightweight ones because my present (ancient Hoover WindTunnel) is insanely heavy.

They really liked the Dyson Animal Cordless Vacuum, and the Dyson Absolute Cordless Vacuum, gave these two models identical very high ratings. I found myself looking at them on Amazon and thinking that I really should be spending more. I was looking at the V8 which is even more expensive. But then, I decided not to buy it right now because I don't really need it. I bookmarked the link, though, and might buy it later on.

Edited to add: Well, that didn't take long. I just ordered a refurbished Dyson Absolute V8 cordless vacuum. :LOL:

Last edited:
. But then, I decided not to buy it right now because I don't really need it. I bookmarked the link, though, and might buy it later on.

Edited to add: Well, that didn't take long. I just ordered a refurbished Dyson Absolute V8 cordless vacuum. :LOL:

Everyone knows the old joke about aging: Memory is the first thing to go, but I can't recall the second.

Your quote above makes a good case for #2 being deferred gratification. :)

We have four Dysons. One corded and one cordless full size, and two cordless handhelds. They all get used a lot and we love them. So lightweight yet powerful, easy to clean and reliable.

We have four Dysons. One corded and one cordless full size, and two cordless handhelds. They all get used a lot and we love them. So lightweight yet powerful, easy to clean and reliable.

I always wanted one, but thought they were too expensivefor me. But with the bull market... well... :D Now I can find out what I have been missing!

Back
Top Bottom