Abating noise from upstairs condo?

Noise canceling technology relies on repetitious noise. It senses the repetition and anticipates by generating an out of phase cancelling noise. Opening drawers and walking around noises don’t fit this bill. Engines running or maybe a repeating beat in music might qualify. At any rate, the solution is blocking.

Yes, I saw your opinion that, you're welcome to hold it while I continue to enjoy my Bose QC-II's, which I find do a very credible job of cancelling out non-repetitious noise. Fireworks, even! Spectacular with jet noise, too, which also is not repetitious.

Yes, I saw your opinion that, you're welcome to hold it while I continue to enjoy my Bose QC-II's, which I find do a very credible job of cancelling out non-repetitious noise. Fireworks, even! Spectacular with jet noise, too, which also is not repetitious.

Whatever. You are not enjoying canceling, you are enjoying muffling, like ear plugs, except for the jet noise which is repetitious and can be canceled. But if you are happy, I’m happy.

Whatever. You are not enjoying canceling, you are enjoying muffling, like ear plugs, except for the jet noise which is repetitious and can be canceled. But if you are happy, I’m happy.

Either way I can't see sleeping comfortably in those things every single night

I have no idea if something like this would work but it's less expensive to try. Would a "salt box roof" over the head of your bed block/deflect noise? Insulate the heck out of it. I had first thought of turning your bed into an insulated coffin but you may be claustrophobic. LOL Calling all engineers, will this work?

splitwdw,

I don't know what you mean by a "salt box roof"? Are you suggesting putting some sort of angled "roof"-type noise shield over the head of my bed?

omni

There's a thing called a switch on these headphones. I can turn 'em on, I can turn 'em off. I can tell what's muffled, and I can tell what's cancelled.

Either way I can't see sleeping comfortably in those things every single night

I agree. As I noted in my post, I only use them occasionally, to be able to fall asleep on noisy nights in the neighborhood, and I have to prop up on pillows in a semi-sitting position to be comfortable enough to fall asleep. Even then it's only comfortable for a couple of hours (long enough for the neighborhood to quiet down). I would not be able to wear them all night or even most of it. I have wondered whether noise cancelling earbuds would be comfortable enough. If well-designed, they might be as comfortable as earplugs, which a lot of people can wear all night.

I don't hear many of the natural sounds on my farm because I run a pedestal fan on high year round when I am sleeping. During the Winter I aim it towards a wall, and in the Summer, towards my bed. When I am in a hotel room, or camping, I sometimes have to resort to wearing foam ear plugs, or otherwise, I will hear every little noise.

splitwdw,

I don't know what you mean by a "salt box roof"? Are you suggesting putting some sort of angled "roof"-type noise shield over the head of my bed?

omni

Yep, like a headboard but overhanging the head of the bed. The shorter roof would point towards your knees. Got to wondering if you had white noise under the roof if it would be more effective in trapping the white noise under the roof. Than again it could end up being an echo chamber.

Last edited:
Perhaps that is the case, but this portion of the OP's post made me think it might be otherwise: "I am often awakened by their footfalls (these are dull "thud, thud, thud" noises, not the sharp clacking of hard-soled shoes or high heels on tile). This is driving me crazy. So if they arise at 5:57am, so do I...or at 7:16am, so do I, etc. Then while lying in bed fuming at my rude awakening, I can then hear them sliding drawers open and closed, and clomping around the bedroom some more."

Don't know what the flooring situation is above and whether that could be addressed with some diplomatic discussion with the upstairs neighbor. I have lived in several apartments early in my life, and have experienced normal noise from above and in a few situations neighbors that are unaware or don't care about others living around them.

But also bear in mind that the OP stated that they were very noise sensitive, and the description is from their point of view, so we do not have the whole story. For those of use not noise sensitive they might be just low level noises or not noticed at all.

We would move. Probably one of the reasons we live in a SFH and not a Condo. Unless we were on the Top floor, with sold concrete floors and walls, we would not consider condo living.

I am going to do the resilliant channel and two layers of 5/8 drywall with green glue between them on my walk-out basement home theater and guest bedroom ceilings. I have been working with The Soundproofing Company (do a search on the internet) and suggest you give them a call and see what they would recommend. I have not finished the ceilings in the basement so I cannot tell you what the results will be, but I have high hopes.

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Soundproof-Absorbing-Insulation-Ceiling/dp/B07VDTR22R

THIS ^^^ may be the answer to sound proofing your ceiling at a low cost.

Not likely.

Those are designed more for controlling the sound generated inside the room. They absorb sound to avoid reflections/echos/reverb. More for recording studios than for keeping outside sound from getting in.

If you look back to some of the pro-tips, soundproofing against outside noises requires isolating a heavy/dense wall with sound absorbing in between. This breaks the coupling of sound from outside to inside. Though it's hard to say if that will actually resolve OP's issues.

-ERD50

I am going to do the resilliant channel and two layers of 5/8 drywall with green glue between them on my walk-out basement home theater and guest bedroom ceilings. I have been working with The Soundproofing Company (do a search on the internet) and suggest you give them a call and see what they would recommend. I have not finished the ceilings in the basement so I cannot tell you what the results will be, but I have high hopes.

Hemit,

+1

They are the first company with whom I spoke. (And the first 'solution' listed in post #1 is the one they recommended).

I look forward to hearing how your basement home theater project, once completed, measures up to your expectations.

omni

Judging from your screen name you must be the one living upstairs! :LOL:

:LOL: Actually, "stomper" is in a difference context in my screen name, has nothing to do with noise.

I have a snowbird condo in Florida, where I spend ~7 months a year. It is a ground-level unit in a 4-unit building, with 2 units at ground level and 2 units upstairs.

I am extremely noise-sensitive.
omni

Now you know why I bought one on the top floor. No hassles; great view.

I guess the issue that I have with the proposed solution is the time, effort and mess in ripping out the drywall ceiling to put the Rockwool batts between the ceiling joists, etc.

I would ask the contractor if it would be viable to fasten 2" Rockwool sheathing to the ceiling over the drywall*, then the clips with fasteners that go through the Rockwool sheathing into the ceiling joists, then the channels and then the two layers of drywall with the green glue, etc. And if it is viable how they think it would perform compared to the more destructive version that they are proposing.

It would be a lot less messy and be quicker... as effective or effective enough? I dunno.

* Or two layers of 1" Rockwool sheathing in opposite directions.

I guess the issue that I have with the proposed solution is the time, effort and mess in ripping out the drywall ceiling to put the Rockwool batts between the ceiling joists, etc.

I would ask the contractor if it would be viable to fasten 2" Rockwool sheathing to the ceiling over the drywall*, then the clips with fasteners that go through the Rockwool sheathing into the ceiling joists, then the channels and then the two layers of drywall with the green glue, etc. And if it is viable how they think it would perform compared to the more destructive version that they are proposing.

It would be a lot less messy and be quicker... as effective or effective enough? I dunno.

* Or two layers of 1" Rockwool sheathing in opposite directions.

I've been "noodling" on doing something similar, keeping the existing drywall in place and simply adding noise absorbing and deadening "stuff'' to the bottom-side of the current ceiling (less destructive/less messy).

I didn't speak with a contractor. I only spoke with the key guy at The Soundproofing Company (they are the company that would be supplying the channels and isolating clips). I got the sense that unless you follow their 'prescription' to a T, they will hedge on any guesstimates of final performance.

omni

I am a very light sleeper. If a leaf hits the window, I'm awake. If the furnace or ac comes on or goes off, I'm awake. At home I can cover most annoyances with the whirr of my ecologizer (air filtering machine), but when I am away from home is when it's impossible to sleep. In a hotel, friend's home or any strange place, I use the previously mentioned swimmer's earplugs. The ones that are gel, you warm/soften them in your hands, roll them in a ball and mold them into your ears. It takes a little getting used to and sometimes, especially if it's hot they may get moist and feel a little loose after a few hours, so I may either reform them or just push them in deeper, but they do keep 90% of noises out.

I have a possible non-technical solution. Everything (except the ear plugs) that has been proposed is really expensive and potentially ineffective. You might want to try hypnosis. Noise sensitivity is right up the alley for the things hypnotists work on. DW used to have a business as a hypnotist, but had to give it up when we started snow birding. FL has some crazy anti-competitive regulations for being a hypnotist. But I've seen people work through issues like fear of bridges, tests, dentists, etc. with it. Harder issues like smoking and weight loss don't do as well, but I'd think noise sensitivity might be something you could work on. Basically it's just a matter of not being as sensitive to the sounds.

It's just a suggestion. I know analytically oriented people tend to poo poo the idea, but what have you got to lose? I've been hypnotized a number of times, and if nothing else, it's quite relaxing.

FWIW, even on the top floor you may still be able to hear sounds. When I had a top floor condo years ago I could sometimes hear my neighbors having sex directly below. At least I didn't hear the footfall-type noises.

Hemit,

I look forward to hearing how your basement home theater project, once completed, measures up to your expectations.

omni
+1. Please put a reminder in your calendar to give us all an update when you're done! You'll have an eager online audience.

Back
Top Bottom