Adventures in building a forever home (Move in date 12/2024)

These are the step up...Lifestyle they call them. Aluminum exterior and wood interior. I have read a few gripes on quality, and will be on the lookout for any windows that look poorly put together, and get them replaced. I will discuss this with the Pella agent before signing as well.

I am considering Marvin also, but Marvin may actually come in a little higher, and I have been less impressed with the sales help so far.
We went with two sections (a 5-panel and a 3-panel)of the top line Marvin Ultimate muli-panel sliding glass doors. We're very pleased. One reason we chose Marvin is that they are much nearer to us than the Andersens, which are made in CA by people who may not understand cold weather. We did have a good regional sales guy but I wouldn't use the sales guy as a selection criterion. It is the windows that you have to live with that matter IMO.

These are the step up...Lifestyle they call them. Aluminum exterior and wood interior. I have read a few gripes on quality, and will be on the lookout for any windows that look poorly put together, and get them replaced. I will discuss this with the Pella agent before signing as well.

I am considering Marvin also, but Marvin may actually come in a little higher, and I have been less impressed with the sales help so far.

Ah, those might be at a higher quality level. The vinyl ones are not bad, I do like that they should be very weather resistant. We did get the jam extensions on every window to fit our 6" walls, which were really quite an inexpensive add on but would have been a pain in the butt to do ourselves. The wood was nice, straight, finger jointed. Actually I really don't have a big quality complaint, each window opens and closes just fine. It was more the method of fastening the wood jam to the window...it just uses these plastic tabs with staples...but that may be standard. My wife used some exanding foam around the windows on the inside and on a couple of the larger ones, it pushed the jam wood a little bit, so I had to carve back out the foam and use a screw to squeeze the jam back to straight. I don't know if any of that made sense.

This is what the cheap Pella windows look like. I think that curved window near the top of the tower was $350 and is now $800. Inflation!

Attachments

• housewindow.jpg
    housewindow.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 6
One reason we chose Marvin is that they are much nearer to us than the Andersens, which are made in CA by people who may not understand cold weather.

Both Marvin Windows and Andersen had their beginnings and are still headquartered in Minnesota. Although Marvin is located right on the Canadian border and not in a balmy Twin Cities suburb.

Both Marvin Windows and Andersen had their beginnings and are still headquartered in Minnesota. Although Marvin is located right on the Canadian border and not in a balmy Twin Cities suburb.
The piece of Andersen that makes the big bifold doors was an acquisition in California. They don't automatically get my trust just because it now says Andersen over the door. That said, we looked at the product and (as amateurs) it seemed to be at the same quality level as Marvin.

38349-albums263-picture2872.jpg

Although a significant expense for the sliders, we added the blinds in between the glass panes. No interior blinds or drapes needed for privacy, and they disappear when pulled up all the way. You end up with 3 panes of glass and more heat/cold protection in the house.
Also, we added the disappearing screens for the sliders as well. When hidden, there is no sun damage and no track rollers to rust...and the view is not blocked by the screens.

Although a significant expense for the sliders, we added the blinds in between the glass panes. No interior blinds or drapes needed for privacy, and they disappear when pulled up all the way. You end up with 3 panes of glass and more heat/cold protection in the house.
Also, we added the disappearing screens for the sliders as well. When hidden, there is no sun damage and no track rollers to rust...and the view is not blocked by the screens.

The wife likes window treatments, so it would be lost cost. I had considered it.

Still have not crossed the start line, but have a window bid to share that will probably be the winner, from Pella. Around $50K, driven by the large double sliding door and the custom window over it, accounting for around $14 K.
Attached for your viewing pleasure.

WOW... We haven't spent that much remodeling the whole house. And we splurged with $1200 for the front door. Our total was just under $5K including garage doors.
Just wait till you price cabinetry.

Plan sets

Just putting it all out there:cool: Attached are the final plan sets and Structurals. I did have to remove some pages from the plan set for the 2 MB rule.

A few minor changes will be penciled in, to include changing shower window to a 36 x 42 awning window and making the sliding doors in the MBR and RCR 1 foot wider.

Inching ever closer to the start line/ fully committed PONR.

Attachments

• Permit Set-1 Structurals.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • permit set 11.13.23 smaller.pdf
    763.8 KB · Views: 19
When we rebuilt in 2011-2012 we went with Integrity windows. As I recall they were in the Marvin family but one step down from Marvin. We had 3-72"x60" sliding windows side-by-side facing the lake and 2-36"x40" double hung windows, 2-32"x48" double hung windows and a sliding glass door for a total of ~$3,500. All the windows were wood inside and vinyl outside.

We've been very happy and had only had one problem with moisture and condensation in the lower corners of the sliders where the fixed window and slider meet.

Last edited:
Awesome plan Sniggle! I would like to build something similar. The only thing I would do different is move the office to the unfinished part of the basement with the windows, and move the stairs to the area shown as the office.

Keep us posted with your progress!

Awesome plan Sniggle! I would like to build something similar. The only thing I would do different is move the office to the unfinished part of the basement with the windows, and move the stairs to the area shown as the office.

Keep us posted with your progress!

Funny...that was the way the original plan was drawn.
https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/one-story-country-craftsman-house-plan-with-screened-porch-architectural-designs-24392tw.

I really wanted to have the office on the main floor so I did not have to go downstairs. We do not plan to have a TV upstairs, so I could shrink the family room and move the stairs. I hope it works. I do plan to have a nice decorative wrought iron railing around the stair entrance so it should look nice. I do know it is somewhat unconventional.

Last edited:
Funny...that was the way the original plan was drawn.
https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/one-story-country-craftsman-house-plan-with-screened-porch-architectural-designs-24392tw.

I really wanted to have the office on the main floor so I did not have to go downstairs. We do not plan to have a TV upstairs, so I could shrink the family room and move the stairs. I hope it works. I do plan to have a nice decorative wrought iron railing around the stair entrance so it should look nice. I do know it is somewhat unconventional.

I understand wanting to have the office on the main level. Mine is in our walk out basement, next to our family room. At times it's a hassle getting to my office having to walk through the whole house.

I like your open stairwell. We have something similar, but I put a wall between the stairs and living room. Wish I would have made it open.

Just an update...still 6 inches from the start line. Bank should give final approval for construction loan on Thursday, closing last week of December. Builder is all set, has contractors lined up for the initial phase (excavation, foundation, framing). I have a contract with him I just need to sign once loan is approved. Clearing contractor is on site next week to finish site clearing, driveway final prep and stone, clear path to barn. Signed contact with barn builder and paid 30% on Thursday. I have:

- Sewer permit
- Driveway entrance permit
- Builder submitted building permit
- Got sets of building plans last week, 5 (splurged for a Tyvek set for builder)

This is the part that may get me thrown off this site. This adventure is going to cost me early retirement. I could retire tomorrow and live comfortably, but I have chosen to go this path. I am enjoying the process, looking forward to the build, and looking forward to making the new house and land our home. I pulled out 200K from the 401K (kept me right at the 24% tax level), and once that has been drawn down, I will pull out more, up to $200K in 2024, and continue the process for a few years until the house is paid off by 2030.

My job is not hard or stressful. I work from home, have great flexibility, and operate with almost full autonomy within my niche expertise, and what I do now I find really interesting. Would I rather wake up tomorrow and not have to think about it.....yes. But walking from my bed through the kitchen to my computer at 8 AM 5 days a week, and then spending an hour looking at news and stocks before diving into work, where I quit at 4 to work out, is acceptable for this new house.

I will post some shots of the land later this week.

... Signed contact with barn builder and paid 30% on Thursday. ....

Why pay 30% upfront? I would be uncomfortable having payments exceed the work. Too many contractors take huge deposits and are rarely seen again. On my rebuild a few years ago the contractor rendered me a bill monthly that included the statement and invoices from the lumber yard and his time and then I paid it within 7-10 days. so he was incentivized to stay on task to keep the funds flowing in.

I've only paid in advance twice in my life. Once for the contractor to order custom trusses for our garage (~ $1,500 as I recall) and another time for flooring. On the flooring the vendor wanted 50% of the $3,000 cost upfront and I refused that as excessive... I offered $500 as a conpromise and they accepted it.

Last edited:
Why pay 30% upfront?

The barn contractor has been in business for over 50 years, and the 30% locks in the price, for what will probably be a spring build. I went with them because they were providing 26 gauge steel at the same price as 29 gauge steel due to a deal they had with the steel siding manufacturer, and I did not want to have that end. That deposit is refundable, minus the cost of the plans they will be drawing up in the next couple of weeks. I agree it is not ideal, but I am confident that they will follow through. $24K will be due on the delivery of the materials to the site, and the balance when the barn is completed.

I have also provided $5k upfront to Pella, again locks in price for a spring delivery.

I do like your approach, and will strongly consider pushing back if this situation arises again. The well driller I used required nothing upfront, as does my land clearing contractor.

Last edited:
Why pay 30% upfront? I would be uncomfortable having payments exceed the work. Too many contractors take huge deposits and are rarely seen again. On my rebuild a few years ago the contractor rendered me a bill monthly that included the statement and invoices from the lumber yard and his time and then I paid it within 7-10 days. so he was incentivized to stay on task to keep the funds flowing in. ...
Our builder proposed something similar and it worked out well. For a $200 fee which he paid, the local title company created an escrow account for us which we funded incrementally as the build progressed. Periodically, the builder would submit a progress billing that included copies of all invoices he had received from suppliers and subs. I would then release funds to cover the billing, often the same day. Twice there were small subcontractor billing errors, which we dealt with by short paying, letting the contractor sort it out. We just finished this process and yesterday I got a check for the $800 balance that was left in the escrow account. There are a few loose ends that I'll just pay directly as he bills us.

We crossed the start line, officially, on 1/26. Weather and other factors have kept the foundation dig from happening yet, but they started the prep today, and hopefully by next week the foundation hole will be dug.

Starting to make decision:
- Natural cut stone as shown on plans
- Trying to decide between Hardi Plank and LP Smartside for siding
- Leaning towards Tanko Heritage Premium Black Walnut shingles
- Color scheme will be clayish siding color, black windows, black decorative accents, dark brown garage doors and front door.

We went with the LP smartside but really only because we were cutting the stuff ourselves and I didn't want the pain of cutting the Hardiboard. I think the Hardi Plank is better stuff but the LP is fine if you paint and caulk it correctly.

Very nice, congrats!

(your neighbors are too close btw...like a mile away? need elbow room I say)

Thought I would drop an aerial of the land. Red square is approx. home site, black square is approx. barn location.

Attachments

• Homesite.jpg
    Homesite.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom