Advertising OUT OF CONTROL!!!

How about buying a pricy Cabella's t-shirt or hat and you pay them so that you can wear and advertise their brand... that's real marketing :D

I've never been able to figure out why people fall for that. Now, if they want to give me a t-shirt and hat that's fine, but me paying them to be their billboard is not going to happen in this lifetime.

We are still getting advertising stuff for FIL. He's been dead for over a year.

I hate to tell you this - - but I still get advertising several times each month for a man who once owned my house but died back in the mid 1990's or earlier.

They Just Don't Quit.

I know. I owned the house in MD for 16 years and when I moved out I was still getting the occasional piece of junk mail addressed to the former owners.

The real estate ads that annoy me are those that say, "Close to everything! Wonderful neighborhood." Why on earth do they think I am looking in that neighborhood to begin with? Now tell me something about the HOUSE, like whether it has a stand-alone shower, an inside laundry room, or an easy maintenance back yard. Even better, stop photographing the furniture and instead, include pictures of the shower, laundry room, back yard, and so on.

You made me laugh! Are laundry rooms outside in your area? Not trying to be funny but kept thinking of a creek and a rock. I've used our creek water for lots of things but no laundry so far.

I've got a spamcatcher e-mail address that I use for nearly all commercial purposes (on-line ordering, LinkedIn, loyalty programs). That helps a lot. I'm careful about unchecking boxes that say "please send me deals and special offers" but once order something from Crate & Barrel for a wedding present, donate $100 to a charity to support someone's run or bike ride, they bombard you forever.QUOTE]

I hate to donate to anything because you get slammed with even more requests. I use to belong to a car club that would help out a home for children. That was 12 years ago. I only helped once and I receive a mailing from them every month. My older friend tells me just wait the best is yet to come. She's bombarded by AARP mailings and retirement health insurance. She said AARP keeps sending her membership cards that she's never requested.

Ha ha. I know this isn't about this site, but ER is a good example. I have to chuckle when I get these really, really technical ads here on ER. It is a product of my j*b searches. I do have to say I once was so intrigued by an add for "bench.co" that I clicked on it. I guess our finance talk here got the ad engine thinking I needed bookkeeping.

But my biggest chuckle is that the ad engine here thinks I speak Spanish. I have no idea why. Here's today's fun. :)

Attachments

• yosoynikon.JPG
    yosoynikon.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 2
Speaking of buying stuff that advertises the seller....I can honestly say that I have not once in my life worn anything with a designer logo on it. I think I've received gifts from in laws that didn't know me well yet that had them, they just did not get worn. I simply never have understood that phenomenon.

Much of this ad frenzy arises from the masses expecting free stuff and forgetting TANSTAAFL.
Shouldn't that be TINSTAAFL?

Speaking of buying stuff that advertises the seller....I can honestly say that I have not once in my life worn anything with a designer logo on it. I think I've received gifts from in laws that didn't know me well yet that had them, they just did not get worn. I simply never have understood that phenomenon.
The first time I ever thought about this was a little over 20 years ago when my immediate supervisor said that on principle, she wouldn't pay for any clothing item (usually a t-shirt) that carried a business logo, or other advertising on it, as they should be paying her for carrying their advertising. At the time, it seemed like quite an outsider stance but after a 20-year career at the edge of the record industry in which the majority of my shirts were free band-shirts, it makes sense now!

As the free shirts from my working days begin to fall apart and bite the dust, I have begun paying for them, In a couple of cases, I even paid quite a lot for them, but that's because they were cat-themed, and the profit went to cat rescue organizations, so I considered the purchase as a partial donation.

I really miss my free Underworld t-shirt.........

Perfervid real estate ads, filled with extravagant words and exclamation points, make me cringe. It's just a house, people. I want to know all about it, sure, but rest assured I will not be "utterly swept away," "dazzled," or need to take to my fainting couch after seeing it. The phrase "MUST SEE!!!" is the best way to keep me away.

Amethyst
You've reminded me of the proliferation of hyperbole on the internet in general - especially the click-bait headlines on social media sites like Facebook for videos that will "blow you away" or "completely change your life". I do quite like some of them, and get a few chuckles, but have yet to experience my life being completely changed/turned upside down. Thank goodness these empty promises don't deliver. I don't think I could handle the stress of having my life so drastically altered several times a day :LOL:

I get really fed up with hyperbole. I think it's overuse should be taxed. That'd stop 'em!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom