Alcoholism

+1 for Celebrate Recovery. It’s recognizing hurts, habits, and hang ups and discovering how they manifest in behavior. Broad based.

Sadly, not much you can do. Unless he wants to change, its not going to happen. You can encourage him to attend AA meetings and seek treatment, thats about it.

I have a friend who struggles, been to AA 2 or 3 times now. He just cant put the bottle down. He'll go through a handle a day when he's at his prime. He is a functioning alcoholic though.

My Dad was a weekend party drinker into middle age. He had never missed work. But when I was already on my own in a different city, he fell down in the snow during a very cold midwestern winter in the late 60s. Someone at home noticed that he had not come home, and my high school age brothers found him unconscious in the snow and brought him home.

Thats scary stuff. I read an article where some 19ish year old college kid got drunk and took a snow nap. Froze to death when we had that cold spell where it was down in the negatives each night.

When I worked and lived among the homeless in my young adulthood, I did learn that street alcoholism was always sourced in mental illlness, and later in life learned that vulnerability is greatly magnified by social isolation, disrupted sleep, seasonal affected disorder, and diet.

Getting a good nights sleep is a science which takes some study, I won’t go into that here. You could spend years figuring out how to sleep, and it would be worth the effort.

90% of church and AA is the social isolation relief. AA may run some people the wrong way, and it does carry a stigma.

I would prescribe searching for something that deeply interests the boy that has a social element. Any crazy thing will do. If it means buying him equipment or support, do it. Part of depression is being over inhibited to invest in our passions.

Speaking now as a person saved in the Evangelical sense, I would assert that God is not a fragile thing that must be defended by clinging to your specific faith, but rather God is a universal reality that can be discovered by many paths.

Specific insecure faith, can become a barrier to the young, an unintentional counter witness. There are many spiritual teachers in your town. Look for an opportunity to introduce your son to them, in case he clicks wth one and God has provided this for you. Visiting different churches is fun.

While never disavowing my Christianity, it was Shambala Buddhism which cured the misery of my 20’s. They are a sex crazed bunch, but no more so than any secular college experience.

Young people today are responding positively to the science based spirituality of Thomas Warren Campbell, a physicist connected to The Monroe Institute and the military remote viewing community.

If you are in the North or rainy coast, look for an opportunity to introduce your son to better weather. Many a life has been saved by a move to the sun belt.

Read up on mental illness and diet. As much as possible introduce him to home prepared foods that are plant centered and fresh. Seafood is correlated to positive emotions.

Regarding addiction, each person acquires an escape sequence from overwhelming emotions. For myself, my escape sequence was travel, workaholism, music, and religion. I had a healthy fear of chemistry and psychiatry.

So when my mind finally settled in my late twenties, I had a lot of education and strange experiences under my belt, with no addictions and no record of mental illness on my resume. All this to say, you can help your son construct an escape sequence other than the bottle.

Final note, many a person is kept in balance by a dog or two.

Back
Top Bottom