All time high

Yep, all that jubilation finally has its effect. A delayed effect, yes, but it has finally come.

I should have sold ALL when W2R started dancin'. Is this not the 3rd time now? What did I do but holding on to my stocks, hoping that it will be different this time?

Just sold a high-beta stock to "rebalance" another 1% to cash. Oh, when will I ever learn? Where have all my cap gains gone? High-speed traders picked them all.

YouTube - Marlene Dietrich - Where Have All The Flowers Gone?

I don't quite understand the relevance to the current topic, but thank you for posting this outstanding version. I never before connected to the full sadness and darkness in this song. No one better than Marlene Dietrich to explain the pain of life.

Ha

I don't quite understand the relevance to the current topic, but thank you for posting this outstanding version.
I just wanted to borrow a few lines of the lyrics to make a parody lamenting the cyclic nature of the market movement and my failure to heed the "bell ringing" at the apparent top of the market. "Where have all my cap gains gone..."

You are a slow learner...
Gee! Can you rub some more salt into my injury, please? No, how about squeezing some lime juice on it too?

Oh, wait! I think that right after you made your post, the market turned around, and actually closed up for the day. Let's see... I ended up a bit more than 0.2% total today. Heh heh heh... I'd better keep my mouth shut lest the market god gets offended again.

Mods, quick, do your thing and make this thread go away!

Remember what happened when W2R put up her fateful "Wheeee...." post?

You'll have to be faster next time.

OK, time for me to 'fess up.

I set a new personal record high that was 0.88% higher than the one in Oct 07. I have given that up, and am now 0.55% below the past high, or 1.43% below the new high. The bar is now raised higher! Dang!

I don't pretend to know what move the market. The recent move could have been because of anticipation about the FED PMOs - buy the rumor sell the news. Negative reactions to the Fed PMOs, the Irish problem and China raising interest rates could worry the markets. The expectation for lower Christmas sales would be negative. But I don't get a sense that will happen. Smarter people than me are saying today's move is a signal for a change in the trend for X?

I don't pretend to know what move the market.
I am now confused. I thought the unanimous conclusion was that the "Whee" post did it, for the 3rd time already.

It is at times like this when my chicken feathers suit (40/60 AA) fits me the best. I'm a small potatoes investor but I do OK.
My portfolio has almost recovered back to its May 07 value, including modest DCA contributions for 3 years. :flowers:

I don't pretend to know what move the market. The recent move could have been because of anticipation about the FED PMOs - buy the rumor sell the news. Negative reactions to the Fed PMOs, the Irish problem and China raising interest rates could worry the markets. The expectation for lower Christmas sales would be negative. But I don't get a sense that will happen. Smarter people than me are saying today's move is a signal for a change in the trend for X?

It's those damn Bollinger Bands!

The expectation for lower Christmas sales would be negative. But I don't get a sense that will happen. Smarter people than me are saying today's move is a signal for a change in the trend for X?

Come on Dex, no need for false modesty. Personally, I believe it sgnals a change in trend for Z. :)

Ha

The "worst week" was preceded by one of the best weeks in quite a while. Even so, the worst week left things higher than they were before the election.

Now that you mentioned March 09, I looked back to see that my lowest was on March 09, 2009 (I kept a diary). It coincided with the day the market hit bottom. On that day, the Dow dropped to 6547, the Nasdaq to 1269, and the SP500 to 677.

Since that day, my portfolio is up a bit more than your NW number above, not counting RE whose values are so illiquid I do not even bother to think about. With the S&P at 1226 as of Fri Nov 5, 2010, had one gone "all in", he would have made 81% gain! Of course most of us have gained less than that, except for younger people who are still accumulating.

I have been tracking our net worth almost daily since September 23, 2008.
I have everything entered in an on-line account aggregating service, so all I have to do is update totals and cut and paste once daily. There is a little bit of a fudge factor because I only update cash account totals a couple of times a month, but close enough to track general flows.

Our balances hit their low on March 9, 2009 as well.

As of November 5, 2010 our net worth was up over 90% compared to the March 09 figure.

A significant part of that appreciation came in the form of a very well-timed real-estate investment. We purchased our apartment at the exact bottom of a significant dip in the local market, and things have been inflating at bubble-like rates since then. But I am pretty confident that we could get the price I have estimated as the current value as listing prices for comparable units are now 10-20% higher than my estimate.

Even without the real estate appreciation, our retirement and college savings accounts are double what they were in March 09. We have made regular contributions to both, but much of the gain is the result of the market rebound, helped along by some rebalancing.

When I have mentioned the daily tracking before, some people have found that to be overly detailed, but in my case it has actually provided me with solid evidence of the benefits of a buy and hold strategy. I can see how my accounts dropped in value day after day after day duriing the worst of the crash, but also how they ramped back up again as things started to improve. I am so glad I held firm and did not sell during the downturn. We actually invested a significant sum in the kids 529s in October/November 2008, which turned out to be a very prudent choice -- those accounts are now more than double what they were at the time.

lhamo

...When I have mentioned the daily tracking before, some people have found that to be overly detailed, but in my case it has actually provided me with solid evidence of the benefits of a buy and hold strategy...
In my case, I want to be able to look back and kick myself for failing to [-]time the market[/-] rebalance more optimally.

The next time someone gets the urge to go on about the market highs ! Do us all a favor and

Attachments

• mouth-taped-shut1.jpg
    mouth-taped-shut1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1
Hey, it's (maybe) just a correction!

Whenever I hear "a healthy correction" I think of my Dad when he used say to me in the summer, "I think you better stay home for a few nights, you're having too much fun."

Yeah Dad, too much fun might be fatal. :)

Ha

Meh, after the experience of 2008/early 2009 days like today make me think "is that the worst you can do, punk?"

I see nothing obvious pushing stuff down except the apparent feeling of some of the more excitable market participants that it is "time" for a correction. Knock yourself out, guys.

Meh, after the experience of 2008/early 2009 days like today make me think "is that the worst you can do, punk?"

I see nothing obvious pushing stuff down except the apparent feeling of some of the more excitable market participants that it is "time" for a correction. Knock yourself out, guys.

Probably this.
Stocks, Commodities Drop on China Inflation Steps, Irish Debt - Bloomberg
Global stocks fell for a seventh day, the longest streak since January, and commodities slid amid concern that the debt crisis in Ireland and Greece is worsening and that China will act to slow its economy. U.S. Treasuries snapped a two-day plunge and the dollar rallied

Back
Top Bottom