All time high

Yes , I have next years money safely put aside and now the market can do whatever !

So, you sold a little bit, not the whole portfolio. I was under the impression you were out because you said that you "sold".

I turned over my stocks about 50-60 % during 2008-2009. Very interesting to me that many of the stocks I bought are at all time highs, and some of them 50 to 100% over their former lifetime highs.

I think this is a bad sign, because in at least 35 years of active investing it has always been a bad sign. Can't say when, can't say how or why, but somthing will get cought in the wringer and many of these will get knocked down again.

After the start of the year I will likely rebalance in my fashion. Not waiting until then for market timing reasons, but for tax reasons.

Ha

I am also at an all time high - about $100K higher than I was in June of 2008 when I sat in my hotel room in Seoul, ran Fidelity Fullview, and said, "Wow I can't believe I am worth $x.x MM". Sadly 5 months later I was worth about half that....

I went 90% into equities in Nov 2008 - now I am aggressively derisking my portfolio - going to 60/40 - paid off my mortgage and all other debt - reducing my position in (former) employer stock and exercising employee stock options... so hopefully when the next downturn comes I won't be so exposed.

..."Wow I can't believe I am worth $x.x MM". Sadly 5 months later I was worth about half that....

Let's see...

From Oct 2007 to March 2009, S&P 500 went from 1549 to 677, a loss of 56%. I was fortunate to lose much less than that, considering that I had quite a bit of high-beta stocks. I was lucky to sell off some to raise some cash before it got too late. For example I had Potash (POT) which was as high as 240, then dropped as low as 50. It is at 140 now.

I have recovered my loss, but that was scary, scary stuff... I lost a similar percentage from March 2000 to March 2003. What an interesting decade!

What is in store for us, I don't know but we can never say life is dull.

Back
Top Bottom