Amazon delivery gone awry...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So the Mrs pulls the garbage can out of the garage and puts it on the grass near the house. I’ll pull it to the curb when I give the old gal the last walk of the night. So last night I grab the old pooch and flashlight and head out. I get to the can and nearly step on a package on the grass. Im thinking something fell out of the can. I pick it and it’s too heavy... bring it in to Mrs and it is an expected amazon package.

We go to the video tape ..sure enough white van pulls in driveway and driver throws my package out the window like a kid delivering a newspaper. Yeah the Mrs complained to amazon...

I’m a bit peeved...

So the Mrs pulls the garbage can out of the garage and puts it on the grass near the house. I’ll pull it to the curb when I give the old gal the last walk of the night. So last night I grab the old pooch and flashlight and head out. I get to the can and nearly step on a package on the grass. Im thinking something fell out of the can. I pick it and it’s too heavy... bring it in to Mrs and it is an expected amazon package.

We go to the video tape ..sure enough white van pulls in driveway and driver throws my package out the window like a kid delivering a newspaper. Yeah the Mrs complained to amazon..
I’m a bit peeved...

Post office does the same around my neighborhood. But they usually honk first and if no one comes out to their car/van then they just heave it out the window. At least with Amazon you can complain. With the USPS here, they won't answer the phone.

I just had a laptop delivered via FedEx yesterday. Needed a signature, I was out of the house. Neighbors were home all day so they signed for it. I had the option of waiving the signature requirement- so glad I didn't. Costco just slapped a mailing label on the original box, which proclaimed "HP Envy 360, Bang + Olafson audio". Wonder how long that would have lasted sitting in my porch.

UPS, FedEx, USPS, and Amazon non-name delivery guys. I have never had a package tossed out for delivery. Always on the front porch.

My driveway is a loop around my house. If they timed it just right and gave it a good heave they could probably get to the lower level in the back just in time to run over it! :nonono:

Lot of temporary work right now?

Ray, I had the same experience yesterday. Looked out the window and saw an Amazon box in the middle of my front yard. I thought a box had blown out of the neighbor’s trash. It was still there later in the day so I went out to pick it up.

Not trash— my DD had an Amazon package delivered here. The delivery person had a pretty good throw to make it to the middle of our 50’x100’ yard!

Hope nothing got damaged from the toss.

Most of my packages are delivered on the porch, but a few have simply been dropped on the yard, or tossed toward the porch. Luckily nothing breakable. Neighbors have also complained about porch pirates simply taking packages and driving away. So far they haven't hit me. I'm thinking some kind of locking box may be needed. The Amazon lockers near me are always full, so never available.

Most of my packages are delivered on the porch, but a few have simply been dropped on the yard, or tossed toward the porch. Luckily nothing breakable. Neighbors have also complained about porch pirates simply taking packages and driving away. So far they haven't hit me. I'm thinking some kind of locking box may be needed. The Amazon lockers near me are always full, so never available.

If it is an issue the UPS store or other private mail box services will rent you a box at around $15 per month and accept parcels from UPS, USPS and FedEx. I did this when I lived in Houston, the only issue is will the seller accept a ship to address other than the billing address. Typically you get a notice in your mail box, present it at the counter, and sign and pick up the package.

UPS, FedEx, USPS, and Amazon non-name delivery guys. I have never had a package tossed out for delivery. Always on the front porch.

Yes, we have a lot of stuff delivered, I've never had any sort of problem like this.

Maybe it's partially due to me being home most of the time, and we have a long driveway, so most times I just happen to see the truck approaching, and meet them at the door to grab the package? But with so many different delivery people, I'm not sure that would stick.

-ERD50

That happens a lot around Christmas. Amazon must use temporary workers (non-employees).
Last year at Christmas time, a delivery person put an Amazon package over the fence in my side yard (dropped it over the fence). I found it a week later. It had been rained on.

All my many Amazon packages have been delivered to my front door (on the porch), except for one which was delivered to the side door. Perhaps this is because my lot is small, so the driver only has to walk about 20-30 feet from the curb to drop a package on my porch.

My Amazon delivery torment comes in other forms. For example, "Out for Delivery" for 2-3 days before the package is actually delivered. In my imagination, I visualize the package falling into an obscure corner of the delivery truck, where it is overlooked by the exhausted driver.

Last edited:
All my many Amazon packages have been delivered to my front door (on the porch), except for one which was delivered to the side door. Perhaps this is because my lot is small, so the driver only has to walk about 20-30 feet from the curb to drop a package on my porch.

My Amazon delivery torment comes in other forms. For example, "Out for Delivery" for 2-3 days before the package is actually delivered. In my imagination, I visualize the package falling into an obscure corner of the delivery truck, where it is overlooked by the exhausted driver.
Who is the delivery agent, the USPS, UPS, Fedex or Dedicated Amazon delivery? I find that when the package gets to the local USPS office it gets delivered the same day. Used to be Fed Ex/UPS now all USPS. Since I live in a mostly rural area never expect Amazon direct delivery to get here, that will only be in parts of large Metros.

I do think there are a lot of temporary delivery people this time of year. But I've never had a problem with Amazon. Package is always on my front step. Now yesterday my small package was right at the door and not behind the planter where they usually put it.

A positive Amazon note is that a friend of a friend had her Amazon package stolen and the company made good on it and sent out a replacement package no charge. Amazon probably put in a claim with the delivery service but still I thought that was impressive.

But on the other hand I had sent my phone in for repairs. Fedex tried to deliver but needed a signature and we weren't home when he came by. So when we got back we had the dreaded sticker on the front door. Pick it up later 30 miles away or try to re-deliver the next day. A couple hours later had a knock on the door. Fedex guy with my package. Said before he left the area he thought he'd try again!. I thanked him profusely. Sometimes they do a great job. But he was a regular employee and not a temp.

This happened to me and it was the Costco/Fedex delivery mentioned earlier. Status was "label printed" from 12/12 to 12/19, with delivery date of 12/19. Fine print said that was the "everything on time" date. Didn't happen. At 9 that evening I got an e-mail saying it would be 12/21.

My guess is that Fedex had only so many packages they could load into the truck at the pickup point so mine got left behind for awhile. Still, annoying that my initial e- mail said "Your order has been shipped" days before it was actually in transit.

I've never had a problem. UPS will even put the package at my doorstep, ring the doorbell and leave. Wish the others would ring the doorbell but guess I better be glad they didn't toss it in the yard like others here.

Only a few issues over the years. Luckily we live in a rural area and it's pretty safe here. Recently the UPS guy delivered a few packages to the neighbor across the street. I heard the truck but didn't look out the window. When I got the delivery notification I checked but couldn't find anything. Later on that evening the neighbor delivered everything.

One time I looked out the window and saw our package just laying in the driveway by the road.

The best was when they stuck two large packages in the bed of my truck under the tonneau cover in the driveway. No notice that I ever saw and it was a few days before I happened to drop the tailgate and find them! 😕

Almost everything comes USPS here. They always walk packages up to the porch, if they don't fit in the mailbox. I was thinking of doing them a favor and getting a bigger mailbox.

Funny story, back when FedEx and UPS were delivering:

I built my porch myself. I started with the columns, added the deck, and only later got to the roof rafters, sheathing and shingles. For a while I had a porch that looked like it SHOULD have a roof, but didn't.

They'd deliver things, in the rain, by leaving them on the porch. Apparently they never looked UP to see there was no roof!

We haven't had porch pirate problems here yet, probably too visible from the road. But I worry sometimes. I do have security cameras. I wonder if making them more visible would help.

We haven't had porch pirate problems here yet, probably too visible from the road. But I worry sometimes. I do have security cameras. I wonder if making them more visible would help.

Probably not, since it seems in some places police don't care even if you have video of the perp and their license plate number.

Check out you tube for lots of videos.

One option Ray is to have an Amazon item delivered to a nearby Amazon Locker. That way you don't have to be home watching for delivery. They just send you a code number and you can unlock your locker when you want. Works for Amazon returns also.

_B

One option Ray is to have an Amazon item delivered to a nearby Amazon Locker.

All Amazon lockers near me have been full for months. I could have it delivered to an available locker miles away, but that seems to defeat the purpose of home delivery. Yes, I've checked lockers near both home and work. Good for them the program is so successful, but they are heavily overused near me.

Back
Top Bottom