Amazon Scam

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just got an e-mail supposedly from Amazon placing a hold on my account and all pending orders. Wish I could copy/paste the message but it won't allow me to do that. Supposedly the billing info does not match the info that the card issuer has. They want me to provide name/address/phone number by clicking on the "Update Now " button.

Sorry guys but I don't click on buttons like that. Called Amazon who checked and confirmed that all is well with my account.

Just another scam. Be aware.

soon after, I got another e-mail......supposedly and likely from Amazon Customer Service wanting to know how they did. I'd like to give that rep some credit since it did give the date of service but not clicking on links today.

Last edited:
Some of these scammers are doing a great job of impersonating legit businesses web sites and e-mail headers. I always check the return address, which is a pretty good indicator it is a fraud in progress. Always double/triple check by calling or checking your actual on line account as opposed to sending off your information as they usually request.

I got a phone call from a supposedly amazon customer service that said someone was trying to charge a new iphone to my account and did I do that charge. I said no and then he tried to persuade me to sign onto anydesk.com which is a site that would give him remote access to my computer. needless to say that is when I hung up and went to amazon site where I filed a notice of what happened to customer service. beware.

“Smishing” is another new scam where an sms message apparently from Amazon appears in a person’s sms Amazon message stream. For customers who are used to receiving sms messages from Amazon it is very easy to be deceived.

Some of these scammers are doing a great job of impersonating legit businesses web sites and e-mail headers. I always check the return address, which is a pretty good indicator it is a fraud in progress. Always double/triple check by calling or checking your actual on line account as opposed to sending off your information as they usually request.

Yeah, you rarely see misspellings or obvious grammatical errors anymore.

I got a phone call from a supposedly amazon customer service that said someone was trying to charge a new iphone to my account and did I do that charge. I said no and then he tried to persuade me to sign onto anydesk.com which is a site that would give him remote access to my computer. needless to say that is when I hung up and went to amazon site where I filed a notice of what happened to customer service. beware.

Gee - I guess some people fall for that!

I get at least one of these 'Update your Billing Info' emails per week for "Paypal" (which I haven't used in a dozen years) and at least one phony 'Update Billing Info' per day for "Netflix" which I came very close to falling for, the first time I got one.

I wish there was some way to let these shysters have it! :mad:

I get at least one of these 'Update your Billing Info' emails per week for "Paypal" (which I haven't used in a dozen years) and at least one phony 'Update Billing Info' per day for "Netflix" which I came very close to falling for, the first time I got one.

I wish there was some way to let these shysters have it! :mad:

Same here, I wish there was a way to close the account permanently:mad:

Just got an e-mail supposedly from Amazon placing a hold on my account and all pending orders. Wish I could copy/paste the message but it won't allow me to do that. Supposedly the billing info does not match the info that the card issuer has. They want me to provide name/address/phone number by clicking on the "Update Now " button.

Sorry guys but I don't click on buttons like that. Called Amazon who checked and confirmed that all is well with my account.

Just another scam. Be aware.

soon after, I got another e-mail......supposedly and likely from Amazon Customer Service wanting to know how they did. I'd like to give that rep some credit since it did give the date of service but not clicking on links today.
I've gotten that exact e-mail several times. I called Amazon, they usually call you back to connect to a person. Yes, a scam, ignore, delete.

I have gotten emails from CVS asking me how an interaction with either a phone rep or in person at my pharmacy went. The one way I have been able to tell a real one from a fake one (which I have received shortly after an actual interaction took place) is the fake ones never address me by name, only the first part of my email address (which ain't my name). The return address on the fake ones is always a gobbledygook one. Legit ones identify the date and approximate time, too. These may not be totally foolproof, and I don't always respond to the seemingly legit ones anyway.

I’ve gotten quite a few from a faux Apple email. Thanking me for my purchase and to open attached invoice!
Sad to say I opened one. But my son told me to call APPLE and they verified it was a scam. They advised to pull up the senders address and it would not be the official Apple email. They said there is a lot of attempted hacks going on.
I did change my email password and all my banking email account passwords immediately.
I won’t open another attachment again. But they do seem so legit. Got one asking to verify my Apple ID or would close access to all Apple storage and apps etc. These guys are really trying to trip people up.

I’ve gotten quite a few from a faux Apple email. Thanking me for my purchase and to open attached invoice!

I got one of those a couple of weeks ago, thanking me for the purchase I made at an Apple store in Canada (which I've never been to), so I knew it was fake. But the email appeared to be legitimate, so it was very professionally spoofed. I didn't open the attached receipt, and I forwarded it to Apple.

Several years ago my son was looking to buy a motorcycle. He looked on E-Bay and bid on one. After it closed he got an email directing him to send the $ to eBay-auto.com address. Almost fell for that one.

I get those emails for not only Amazon, but for eBay and Apple as well. I just look at the return address and do not go any further as the return address tells me it's a scam email. As for my phone, I don't answer unless I know the number or it's local. Everyone else can leave a message if they need me. And scammers don't leave messages.

We just need to be careful more and more. A friend of mine got her phone number ported by a scammer which is even more scary IMO, as nowadays, security codes are texted to your phone when you want to reset your passwords.

Yeah, you rarely see misspellings or obvious grammatical errors anymore.

I forget where I saw this or how trustworthy the source seemed, but the essence was that misspellings and bad grammar may be intentional as the scammers want to filter out the more skeptical respondents. I guess they feel if they’re going to invest time in playing a mark they want to increase the odds that they’re working a target that’s likely to pay off.

This doesn’t really change anything as those are still valid indicators to look for. Just be aware that their absence is not as confidence-inspiring as we would like to think.

I get this scam frequently. It shows up on my "Friendly communications" email, so I know it is irrelevant and I delete.

I use three email accounts, Friendly, Business, and Shopping. I am very careful with my Business account and very rarely get any spam. I use it for bank and utility statements and anything else related to my finances.

I use the Friendly account for day-to-day communications with friends and relatives, theater subscriptions, etc.

The Shopping account I use for any store that i might want a coupon from. I also use this account if I register for a web site, which most likely result in spam.

Each morning, I skim and delete the Shopping email, then take time to review the Friendly and Business emails.

Last edited:
If curious, you can open any email or go to any website without risk using a live boot DOD Trusted End Node Security CD.
There are a few things to know about safely downloading the ISO - the .mil website itself will throw a security alert - Has to do with browsers getting Department of Defense's root Certificate Authority. See the link if interested. I have been using this for years with no problems.
Also, a live boot Linux CD/USB drive could be used but takes much longer to boot and I would want the hard drive unplugged.

Trusted End Node Security (TENS)

Last edited:
had a phone call a few years back from someone claiming to be from microsoft. i knew it was spam right off but as i had nothing else to do at that moment i decided to play along. he said that my license for windows has expired but if i went to my pc and go to X website i could extend the license for a year or maybe it was 5. anyway, i told him that we didn't have a computer. he just repeated the instructions. i told him we had just bought the house the week before and were still moving in and that he was probably trying to reach those people. i asked him to give me his number and i would try to reach them and have them call him. not surprisingly he hung up. i did change logins to my banks and investments.

had a phishing email from Paypal just a few days ago. i forwarded it to their phising email addy and then changed my login and deleted the email.

Yes. These scammers are getting better and better - unfortunately.

Back when I was still w*rking, we hired a security firm to run scams on our staff to determine the level of susceptibility.

They did things like leave unmarked thumb drives laying around the office to see if anyone would try to use them (no one did surprisingly).

And, of course, they sent some very authentic phishing emails that several staffers fell for - including me. You can imagine the ribbing I got when security firm made sure our team knew I was one of the dupes. :blush:

I had one from Microsoft saying my email would be suspended today if I did not click a link to a dummy MS site and log in.

About 3 months ago, I started receiving emails from “Amazon” saying my credit card on file had expired, and if I did not update my account immediately, all Amazon packages would be cancelled. And they provided a link to update my account. But I noted that there is no expiration date for the actual Amazon storecard I use for the account. And when I looked up my account on the Amazon website, it said my account was paid up until January 2021. So I directed the email to my junk file.

When I got the first one I just checked my current orders and they were all on schedule so now I just send the messages to junk.

Back
Top Bottom