Animals we share our lives with

You are awesome, Purron. Those kitties should be grateful that you ended up with them and not someone else!!

In the meantime, I had to share this one. Murphy says HI!!

Attachments

• IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 11

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    634 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 17
Here's a pup that was in our yard a few nights ago... (he won't be quite so cute when he grows up.)

Coyotes howling really close woke us up at at 2:00 AM- I went out to listen to them and the dog started going crazy at the fence- saw this little guy and went back in for the camera.

Good thing we added the critter barrier to the pool fence...

Attachments

• coyotepup 050311.jpg
    coyotepup 050311.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_2579.jpg
    100_2579.jpg
    818.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_2575.jpg
    100_2575.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 10
I don't think I could ever get tired of looking at all the great pictures of the animals in this thread. Here's a couple more of mine. On the long evenings when my head is buried in some project I'm working on, she keeps me company. Occasionally she'll jump up on the desk or onto my lap to say hello, other times I'll look up and she's sitting across from me gazing inquisitively in my direction. The rest of the time she's playing, eating, using her litter box or - and you know how cats are - sleeping. She doesn't know it but she's really great company and so little trouble to look after:
135621034.jpg

135620994.jpg

What a beautiful cat!

Black is my favorite: Panther, and Shadow. Now Boots has white boots, goatee and whiskers.

Black is my favorite: Panther, and Shadow. Now Boots has white boots, goatee and whiskers.

I love black cats too. So beautiful and elegant. Here are the top 10 reasons to adopt a black cat:

10. You'll save $$ on their Halloween costumes.
9. You can always find them in the snow.
8. Holding a black cat is very slimming.
7. Black cats will match any decor.
6. A lint brush isn't required for a black-tie affair.
5. When you love a black cat, luck is on your side.
4. Black cats are like onyx, a beautiful gem.
3. Hey, they don't care what color you are!
2. Love knows no color.

And the number one reason to adopt a black cat...

1. They are the least likely to be adopted.

1. They are the least likely to be adopted.
In my experience, they also are more like pets than cats. But that is a small sample of 3 blacks. Boots comes when he is called, for example, and loves to be around us. He always greets us at the door when we have been out.

In my experience, they also are more like pets than cats. But that is a small sample of 3 blacks. Boots comes when he is called, for example, and loves to be around us. He always greets us at the door when we have been out.
A lot of people think that cats are aloof and anti-social, but that hasn't been my experience of them either. I think that superficially, they can come across as not needing or wanting humans but spend a little time with a kitty and it's obvious that they are very social animals. Sometimes they just need time to get used to the people they share their living space with.

My kitty, whose full name is Chloe-Rug, but who I usually call Rug or Ruggie, greets me in the morning by jumping up onto the bed, curling up next to my head and purring loudly. When I get up and sit on the sofa, she runs over and spends 10 minutes on my lap before running off to do something else. Throughout the day she checks in with me, just to make sure I'm still here (and available to feed her :LOL:) then at night, within a minute or two of my turning the light off and getting into bed, she gets under the covers, curls up next to my feet at the bottom of the bed and purrs loudly for a good 10 minutes before coming up for air and re-situating herself above the covers, where she sleeps for half the night at the bottom of the bed before moving to the sofa at some point in the night.

Then the next day, the whole routine begins again. She is fantastic company, and I can well see why pets are often recommended as company for seniors.

This is my Skippy girl. She shared her life with us for 16 years. We lost her three weeks ago to kidney cancer. I miss her something awful.

Attachments

• P1010071.JPG
    P1010071.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 10
Love looking at the pictures of the pets and the adorable coyote pup! Sorry to hear of your loss Miss Molly. Skippy was a pretty girl!

Purron does anyone know the reason that black cats aren't adopted? I didn't know they weren't. Also what has been your experience with bringing in a new cat to an established Siamese/tabby mix cat?
I would like to introduce a new pal for my little cat I adopted last fall but not sure if she would like other cats. She's not exactly mellow. In fact she was a down right Jeckle and Hyde before she finally settled down.

Purron does anyone know the reason that black cats aren't adopted? I didn't know they weren't. Also what has been your experience with bringing in a new cat to an established Siamese/tabby mix cat?
I would like to introduce a new pal for my little cat I adopted last fall but not sure if she would like other cats. She's not exactly mellow. In fact she was a down right Jeckle and Hyde before she finally settled down.

Here are some good tips from the HSUS and ASPCA about bringing a new cat into the household:

Introducing a New Cat to Other Pets : The Humane Society of the United States

ASPCA | Top 10 Things To Do Before You Bring Your New Cat Home

As far as why black cats are harder to adopt - I really don't know. I've found them to be beautiful and often more outgoing and friendly. Perhaps some still have superstitions about them. Black dogs have the same problem, but to a lesser extent. I'm happy to see so many forum members have black cats and dogs.

Purron;1081031 [B said:
Black dogs have the same problem, but to a lesser extent. I'm happy to see so many forum members have black cats and dogs.[/B]

I read that on a lab message board. I think some people are a little intimated by a black dog for some reason. And as far as cats go, a black one was always tied to bad luck or evil. So I guess that carries over in the adoption process. Too bad.

I just found a new tiny (1.5 lb) kitten in the parking lot of the local grocery store. I'm thinking of calling him Simon. Very cute! And black with white tuxedo markings. Here he is perched next to Biscuit, the 15 pounder.

Attachments

• 256129_2116990330743_1425285955_32538246_4243760_o.jpg
    256129_2116990330743_1425285955_32538246_4243760_o.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 16
Awwwww, Sarah - what a cutie! Seems that the new kitty and Biscuit are already buddies.

I just found a new tiny (1.5 lb) kitten in the parking lot of the local grocery store. I'm thinking of calling him Simon. Very cute! And black with white tuxedo markings. Here he is perched next to Biscuit, the 15 pounder.

I'd call him Einstein because he's obviously highly intelligent to have found you:D

Good one, Purron. I heard him crying under some bushes last week and couldn't lure him out so we went back the next day (I love having friends I can call for cat wrangling sessions) and we just reached in and hauled him out by his hindquarters.

And I just spoke to the vet about him, as he had to go in for some surgery (fractured the bone under his eye in an ill-timed smashup on Saturday with old cranky deaf dog). He'll be okay, just a couple of sutures in his mouth and some antibiotics, plus pureed food for a week or so. Vet told me a story about one of the local curmudgeons in town calling his dog Number 7, because his wife said, you can't keep that dog, he'll be number 7! Since little tuxedo kitten is number 7 in my house, she suggested the same for him.

Biscuit is the tiny angel princess of the house--gawd I never thought I'd be a small dog sort of person, but she's the queen bee of our household and runs the 5 big dogs like a miniature musher! She does get along with everyone and the kitten is, unfortunately, fearless.

Awwh, so sweet!

He looks just like the first kitty our family ever had when I was a kid. Congrats for taking him in - he's such a cute little thing!

Back
Top Bottom