Another Spears Kid Screws Up....

This is one family I vote for early retirement from the role models club. WOW

Oh come on people. She's a high school junior. How many of you lost your virginity at that age. I know most in my generation did. It's only a big deal because she got pregnant. Could've happened to any of us. Give her a break.

Read a story today that makes this even more messy. Seems that the BF is age 19 and Jamie Lynn is only 16. Is it rape?

Yes, but statutory rape only applies if you're NOT a well known celebrity with high priced lawyers..........

Well, there's definitely some generational differences here - I did not lose my virginity at 15 or 16 - we had a different word for girls like her and her sister and it wasn't something to aspire to. However, anyone who thinks a TV star should be a role model perhaps needs to rethink that.

What I fear is the child having a 16 year old mother. The Spears are wealthy, so the economic needs of the child will probably be alleviated, but, the maturity of a 16 year old to provide guidance for a child as they develop in our society leaves a lot to be desired.

Read a story today that makes this even more messy. Seems that the BF is age 19 and Jamie Lynn is only 16. Is it rape?

Better still, she was 14.5 when she started dating him.

"Mom, I have a new boyfriend and he's 17!!"

"No...no, you dont. I'm sending the police over there right now to put him out with a shovel".

REWahoo - well, yes, I guess they were popular with a certain crowd :) But hey - would you marry her? Or take her home to meet Mom? And do you think the 19 year old will be a good father? Hmmmmmm.

Yeah - I know, I'm old fashioned now and I'm 40+ - I've noticed a huge difference in what was considered OK behavior with kids just 4 years younger than I - big difference - I attribute it to the generation of their parents - mine were born in the early 40's and were in their mid to late 20's in the late 60's when there was a large societal upheaval in the US - the values differences are amazing when I speak with my colleagues.

Oh come on people. She's a high school junior. How many of you lost your virginity at that age. I know most in my generation did. It's only a big deal because she got pregnant. Could've happened to any of us. Give her a break.

I didn't, but I agree with the general sentiment. I don't think she "screwed up". Might she regret this down the line, perhap; however, it's also possible that might see it as one of the best things in her life.

I think it's telling that some people [not just here] seem to think that having a child at 16 is wrong and makes the pregnant girl a bad person. Also, I have much more respect for her that she's (apparently) going to have this child instead of deciding to terminate the pregnancy (and probably sweeping the entire thing under the rug along with it).

The act isn't the screw-up. It's what comes after.

Last edited:
Interesting perspectives.
Does anyone see the man/boy as a gold digger?
Get her pregnant; marry her; get her money.
Didn't this happen to her older sister?

Just to clarify - I don't consider her a bad person - I consider her actions immature. Having a child at 16 in today's society will make it a 'long row to hoe' for most. Again, she's got the economic wherewithal to hire out whatever might be needed. Yes, it is noble that she has currently decided to keep the child, but considering how much has changed with regard to birth control in the last 30+ years, it is interesting that she even ended up pregnant at this age.

And yes - what about the male in this situation? Isn't he just as responsible? What will he be doing for the welfare of the child? I may be old-fashioned, but I believe when a couple has a child, then the priorities shift towards the child. The young Spears girl will not be the baby anymore, her child will. The same with her boyfriend.

However, hopefully it all works out - so far, her sister's example has not borne that out.

If she follows her sisters example, she'll be driving down the street (no license) with a bottle of beer in one hand and a smoke in the other, baby dangling out the window, and probably wont be wearing any panties.

Dang. Its times like this that it sucks to be old, fat, and married. :(

Better still, she was 14.5 when she started dating him.

"Mom, I have a new boyfriend and he's 17!!"

"No...no, you dont. I'm sending the police over there right now to put him out with a shovel".

Reminds me of the time I went home on leave and my mother told me that my 13 year old sister had a new boyfriend. I said "That's great. When can I meet him?" Her answer "You can't. He's in jail." And he really was -- for drunk and disorderly conduct and fighting with the cops.

Yes, it could have but it didn't. One of the underreported trends in the US is the slow but steady decline in teenage pregancies. It is roughly 7.5% for girls between 15 and 19, or put another way 92%+ of girls survive adolescent without getting pregant. Birth control is much easier to obtain now than when we were teenagers. Considering her mom has book on parenting coming out, you'd she'd do a better job. As first step in parenting make sure her 15 year old daughter A. isn't dating a boy three years older and B. Failing that make damn sure her daughter knows and uses birth control.

Clif - You see the latest rate of teen pregnancies over the last year? Way up.

We've also got one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the western world.

DD (age 11) caught the story and wanted some background and detail. I mentioned she was Brittney's sister. Her response: "well, duh, this is not the brightest and best functioning family. whaddya expect?"

Clif - You see the latest rate of teen pregnancies over the last year? Way up.

We've also got one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the western world.

No I just was using data from 2005 from here Teen Pregnancy Prevention: National Teen Pregnancy and Birth Data - General Facts and Stats

Most developed countries have a problem with not enough kids. So while I'm not advocating getting teens pregnant as a solution, I'm not particularly troubled by our teens having kids as long as there is a father in the picture, but Jamie Lynn is just too young.

The main problem with teen girls having kids is that they are almost always unable to financialy support the kid. That won't be a problem for Jaime Lynn. Even if her acting career is over because of this i'm sure that as the lead actress of a tv show for several years she has a 7 figure bank account. Even if she falls short of money you know that auntie Britney will be there with her $100 million to help out. Also, in teen pregnancy the father is usually not in the picture but in this case he is so that's also a none issue. She'll be fine.

The main problem with teen girls having kids is that they are almost always unable to financialy support the kid. That won't be a problem for Jaime Lynn. Even if her acting career is over because of this i'm sure that as the lead actress of a tv show for several years she has a 7 figure bank account. Even if she falls short of money you know that auntie Britney will be there with her $100 million to help out. Also, in teen pregnancy the father is usually not in the picture but in this case he is so that's also a none issue. She'll be fine.

Except she probably lacks the maturity needed to be a good parent - one who makes reasonable decisions and has good judgment.

Back
Top Bottom