Any baseball fans out there?

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Am I the only person in the world who likes watching baseball more than football? Season is wrapping up. Any predictions for the World Series? May be a re-match of last year - Texas and St. Louis

I'm a White Sox fan and usually watch them almost every night until I fall asleep. Lately I wake up finding that they lost. Oh well - I'll pick Texas in the world series.

David1961 said:
Am I the only person in the world who likes watching baseball more than football? Season is wrapping up. Any predictions for the World Series? May be a re-match of last year - Texas and St. Louis

Isn't StL 10 games out? Nationals/Orioles would be fun.

I enjoy baseball more than football, but now lose interest come October because IMO the MLB post season has been watered down too far. Great for ticket sales, yes, but IMO allowing so many teams into a short post season adds more luck to it than I prefer, especially after a long regular season has already determined the best few teams.

Isn't StL 10 games out? Nationals/Orioles would be fun.

Yes, but St L will probably get the final wild card spot, and I think they are peaking at the right time.

Couldn't agree with you more about Nationals/Orioles being fun. Still do not understand why the Nats shut down Strasburg. O's haven't been in playoffs since 1997. I heard somewhere that the last time a Washington team was in the playoffs, FDR was president.

I have always been a baseball fan. My dad played semi pro ball in the 30 and early 40's. 3rd baseman. I went with him to every game when I got old enough. Back before I was born he tried out for the Columbus (Ohio)Redbirds which was a farm team of the St. Louis Cardinals. I'll never forget a story he told me about trying out for the Redbirds. It was the first time he ever saw a grass infield. He had one of these cheap mitts and told me the balls they hit to him were like bullets coming off that grass. Liked to tore his hand off. In my early years I religiously listened to the Reds on the radio with my dad. And we went to many games at the old Crosley Field in Cincinnati. Later, when I was living in Farifield, Ohio, I'd go down to the local beer pub and get a 1/2 jug of beer, go home and listen to the Reds out on the patio. I'm talking Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, Ted Kluzuskie, Wally Post, etc. The early 60's were great baseball years in Cincinnati.

These days I watch the Tampa Bay Rays when ever they are televised and have been to a handfull of games in person. It still takes too long to play a game. Looking forward to the World Series.

Last edited:
I enjoy baseball more than football, but now lose interest come October because IMO the MLB post season has been watered down too far. Great for ticket sales, yes, but IMO allowing so many teams into a short post season adds more luck to it than I prefer, especially after a long regular season has already determined the best few teams.
+1

When we lived in St. Louis, I became a Card's baseball fan...back in the days of Ozzie Smith and Willie McGee.

Then MegaCorp moved us to TX. Kind of lost interest until the Rangers and Cardinal's World Series. Yowzah...best World Series ever!

(IMO)

Then MegaCorp moved us to TX. Kind of lost interest until the Rangers and Cardinal's World Series. Yowzah...best World Series ever!
Umm hmmm...Probably because of that hundred bucks you won off me. :blush: :LOL:

Lifelong Dodger fan here...not excited about our prospects. Three games to go, against the hated Giants no less...and two games out of the second wild card spot.

Lifelong Dodger fan here...not excited about our prospects. Three games to go, against the hated Giants no less...and two games out of the second wild card spot.

Very mixed feelings about the Bums. Huge fan when I was little kid in Brooklyn, but they broke my heart when they left Ebbets Field. My grandfather always had seats right behind third base, and he often took me to games there.

I grew up in Los Angeles, but have lived on the East Coast since 1995 and have kept my flame going long distance. Old habits die hard! I am still a Rams fan too!

Rangers, Rangers, Rangers!!! So says my heart. Rangers beat the Nats in the WS. All is forgotten from that sports nightmare last WS.

Shutting down Strasburg is the 2nd stupidest thing Ive ever seen in sports. #1 stupid thing was the Colts benching starters when they were undefeated.

If they are that worried about Strasburg's arm, they could've shut him down for his last 5-6 starts which gives him a 3 week rest and then let him pitch in the playoffs. Its only 3-4 more starts. If they never get back to the playoffs with this strong of a team they will never forgive themselves and I bet you that Strasburg never forgives them and leaves when his contract expires.

Shutting down Strasburg is the 2nd stupidest thing Ive ever seen in sports. #1 stupid thing was the Colts benching starters when they were undefeated.

If they are that worried about Strasburg's arm, they could've shut him down for his last 5-6 starts which gives him a 3 week rest and then let him pitch in the playoffs. Its only 3-4 more starts. If they never get back to the playoffs with this strong of a team they will never forgive themselves and I bet you that Strasburg never forgives them and leaves when his contract expires.

+2 on both points. Shutting down Strasburg and the Colts. :LOL:

Rangers fan here, but unfortunately our pitching will not get us very far this year. With Lewis, Feliz out and possibly Adams too, hitting alone is not going to be enough to carry the team.

Rangers fan here, but unfortunately our pitching will not get us very far this year. With Lewis, Feliz out and possibly Adams too, hitting alone is not going to be enough to carry the team.
I agree. Even their close Nathan spooks me. No wagers being made this year.

Haven't watched much this year, but my impression is the Ranger's pitching isn't playoff-worthy (again). Defense and pitching wins championships... Still, they have the best winning pct in the AL.

Reds and Nationals certainly have the wins piled up in the NL.

This is a pic of my dad taken in 1945 (at 13 years of age) in his baseball uniforum. He loved baseball and was very talented. He played with boys his age and also filled in on the adult team when they needed a replacement pitcher.

He told me a story about his coach talking to him (and the rest of the boys). Apparently back in the day, boys would get into a skirmish or two out on the field. :angel:

His coach said if it ever came to that, for the boys to take on whoever played their position on the other team and he would get the coach. :LOL:

Attachments

• baseball.jpg
    baseball.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 4
This is a pic of my dad taken in 1945 (at 13 years of age) in his baseball uniforum. He loved baseball and was very talented. He played with boys his age and also filled in on the adult team when they needed a replacement pitcher.

He told me a story about his coach talking to him (and the rest of the boys). Apparently back in the day, boys would get into a skirmish or two out on the field. :angel:

His coach said if it ever came to that, for the boys to take on whoever played their position on the other team and he would get the coach. :LOL:

Great photo!

I disagree. You only need 3 starters in the playoffs. Darvish, Dempster and Harrision and a pretty solid 3. The Rangers bullpen is one of the best in all of baseball even if Adams is out. I think the Rangers are the favorite.

Back
Top Bottom