Meditation Resolution

I've also tried many of the apps but nothing stuck into I trained in transcendental meditation. I now meditate 20 minutes 2x/day.

I started the practice after becoming a hospice volunteer. I needed a way to process the experience of death and dying.

Last edited:
I appreciate you guys trying. Maybe I am just particularly dense. I'll wander off now and leave you alone. Thanks.

A bit late getting back to this thread, but this reminds me of the (partial) quote, "There are certain things that cannot be adequately explained to a virgin by words or pictures."

We can discuss the benefits of meditation endlessly, but unless you do it for a sustained period of time, you won't understand.

And even then, who knows?

That's why I tend not to give advice. Each of us has to find what works for us.

Every time I scroll past this thread title I read it as "mediation" . . .

I'm getting old.

I'm getting old.

I sometimes mistake "medication" for "meditation" and vise versa when glancing over topics.

Those are good examples of how a very minor misinterpretation—a single letter misread—can cause a flurry of unnecessary and mistaken thoughts.

I do too, and I typed it. I think paired with "resolution" our brains go there. I think it's probably clear I was thinking about a new years resolution, but a mediation concludes with a different kind of resolution.

You can do a "cross-over trial" on yourself. Sit for 25 minutes and let the little voice in your head yammer-on in the default mode (standard mind-wandering). The null hypothesis would be that the effect of sitting still mind wandering is equal to sitting still while gently and repeatedly bringing attention to whatever your immediate object of meditation is.

Only marginally related, but there's an observation about how our minds work that I find kind of funny. There's not much difference between being crazy and being sane. In the crazy person's case, they say out loud what the rest of us only think silently! But occasionally we all probably exhibit the symptoms of being crazy. Looking for my keys the other day, for instance. I looked "everywhere" (except where they were, of course), and became exasperated. When I finally came upon them, I said, out loud "There they are!" With nobody in ear shot, who was I talking to? Temporary insanity?

I've heard it said it's not crazy to talk to yourself - as long as you don't answer.:facepalm:

I'm getting old.

I do too. I think it is because "mediation" (of a conflict) should lead to a "resolution" (of that conflict). But here, OP means "New Years Resolution"?

Well, even my grandkids are "getting old". You know, 6.5 is older than 6!

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom