Anybody have bad dreams about work?

My husband has been retired for years and rarely remembers his dreams. Last night, though, he had a dream he described as "horrible." He dreamed he was back at work, and had just been promoted into a job he had no idea how to do.

We tried to figure out what prompted this dream and all we can think of is that he's been obsessively watching the primaries, and has concluded that none of the prospective candidates has the foggiest idea how to solve the country's problems. (Please, I don't mean to start a political discussion, we have enough of those at home :eek:)

Amethyst

I have dreams about work occasionally. Not bad, just about work or with people from work in them. I figure its just my brain using the props and characters it has stored away.

No longer have any bad dreams now. I had a few shortly after I retired. I do have dreams now and then that I am still working - not what I would say a bad dream, just a dream that I am working with some former colleagues. The thing is I don't think about work much - like a life that happened long ago.

I had my first bad dream about work last night. (I've had plenty of dreams about work since I ER'ed but none bad).

We have had a couple of friends staying with us from Louisiana, where I used to work. They are both long retired but he and I worked for the same firm for many years, and we talked about folks at the old place. (He still lives close to the old company, keeps regular contact with some folks, attends retiree breakfasts etc).

They were due to leave this morning, and last night I dreamed there was an ongoing crisis at work that I needed to continue working on first thing and had to get in even earlier than normal (I used to leave home at 5:45 to get in by 6:30). In my dream I woke up to daylight and realized that I had slept in and started to leap out of bed in a panic. Then I really did wake up to daylight, and remembered that, not only do I not have to go to work, but that I'm on a different continent :facepalm:

They are gone now so hopefully the work dreams will subside.

I had my first bad dream about work last night. (I've had plenty of dreams about work since I ER'ed but none bad).
Although certainly not my first, I had a bad work-related dream last night as well. Thankfully it was the first in many months.

In it I had been asked to fly to parent co HQ in the UK and couldn't find my ticket, forgot my passport and couldn't locate the departure gate in the airport terminal. I spent what seemed like hours wandering the terminal (which turned out to be the HQ of a large Credit Union) trying to locate my flight. :(

In it I had been asked to fly to parent co HQ in the UK and couldn't find my ticket, forgot my passport and couldn't locate the departure gate in the airport terminal. I spent what seemed like hours wandering the terminal (which turned out to be the HQ of a large Credit Union) trying to locate my flight. :(

Let me know when you arrive and we can arrange to meet up :flowers:

My bad dream about work usually follows the same format each time, and I wake up in a sweat.

I return to work, as if I have been gone for a week or two, and everything is different. My office is occupied by somebody else, or it now has 4 people in it. I look for my desk, I finally find it jammed in a big room with many others, and I can't get to it because it is literally jammed in by other desks. My chair and stuff is gone, I'm not sure how I even ID'd the desk as mine, but I did. I try to get to it, and other people are coming and going as if I'm not even there. In the dream I'm rebelling to the thought that this is what my work life will now be... and then I wake up.

It's been years, and I still can have work dreams.

Thanks, guys, I was kinda hoping this would all fade out after the first decade.

In addition to my regularly-scheduled nightmares, spouse says I still have at least one night a week where I'm tossing, thrashing, running, mumbling, and generally crazed instead of sleeping. I don't know whether to be annoyed that I can't remember what's causing it or relieved that I can't remember what's causing it.

I wonder if we should all sign up for some sort of sleep-lab research...

In addition to my regularly-scheduled nightmares, spouse says I still have at least one night a week where I'm tossing, thrashing, running, mumbling, and generally crazed instead of sleeping. I don't know whether to be annoyed that I can't remember what's causing it or relieved that I can't remember what's causing it.

Oh, that's just the usual dream about "duty the last night in port, and startup at Oh-dark-30." There's probably a battery charge tucked in there somewhere. :facepalm:

I hate work dreams...

I have nightmares about work all the time...... especially from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday.

I used to have these dreams when I worked full time. They usually involved me not having the ability to complete some project. I have to admit that there was a point in my life where work was always on my mind.

Now that I am semiretired, I don't seem to remember any dreams about work.

My bad dream about work usually follows the same format each time, and I wake up in a sweat.

I return to work, as if I have been gone for a week or two, and everything is different. My office is occupied by somebody else, or it now has 4 people in it. I look for my desk, I finally find it jammed in a big room with many others, and I can't get to it because it is literally jammed in by other desks. My chair and stuff is gone, I'm not sure how I even ID'd the desk as mine, but I did. I try to get to it, and other people are coming and going as if I'm not even there. In the dream I'm rebelling to the thought that this is what my work life will now be... and then I wake up.

Hmm, had similar dream a few times when I was still working. I tried to psycho-analyse it then and did not like the findings. That's when I knew I had to FIRE.

Oh, that's just the usual dream about "duty the last night in port, and startup at Oh-dark-30." There's probably a battery charge tucked in there somewhere. :facepalm:
I hate work dreams...
Yeah, that could be it:
"*BLAM-BLAM-BLAM*... door creeeeak... rack curtain rrrrrrip! Excuse me, Duty Officer, sir? I know it's 0230 but we need the Captain's permission to troubleshoot this little problem we're having with blown fuses in the rod control system... oh, and could you authorize this tagout so that we can clean & inspect the shim switch? No, no, no rush, sir, take your time, I'll go get a cup of coffee and check back in a few minutes, thanks!!"

Maybe I don't want to know what I don't already know...

Back
Top Bottom