Anybody have bad dreams about work?

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Over in a physics thread Koolau mentioned he dreamed about being late for a class assignment or some such school problem for the first time in a few decades. I occassionally stil have those nasty school dreams - Mine usually involve being far into the semester and realizing that I not only am behind but I can't even remember the room number or schedule. But last week I had my first bad dream about work in the 6+ years I have been ERd. In this one I was somehow back working in a staff HR job, something I haven't done in almost 25 years. In the dream I couldn't figure out how to do anything and was dreading being foind out. Yuck.

Anyone one else had any work dreams?

I've been retired about 18 months, and I have had several (many) dreams about work but not on a recurring basis. I've assumed this is quite normal as I did spent 30 years working in the industry.

I dream that I have forgotten to deliver my paper route and that all my customers are mad at me. I delivered my last paper 45 years ago. :LOL:

travelover said:
I dream that I have forgotten to deliver my paper route and that all my customers are mad at me. I delivered my last paper 45 years ago. :LOL:

Thats the way I dream. It is about screwing up my menial jobs from the early years, not about my career.

I have never ever had a [-]nightmare[/-] dream about the office after my last day in early April 2009. Actually, I have never slept better since that day!:dance:

I walked out that door and never looked back, it was a relief.

Queenie

That's funny. I'm 2 weeks into retirement and I had a bad dream about work. I thought it was pretty normal. I am amazed at how much free time I have now, but it is an adjustment.

I occasionally have a bad dream about work . I am usually back in the Operating Room and unsure what to do ( which is so unlike me ). I try to muddle through but it is awful.Plus everyone I ever worked with are all mixed up in the dream.

Over in a physics thread Koolau mentioned he dreamed about being late for a class assignment or some such school problem for the first time in a few decades. I occassionally stil have those nasty school dreams - Mine usually involve being far into the semester and realizing that I not only am behind but I can't even remember the room number or schedule. But last week I had my first bad dream about work in the 6+ years I have been ERd. In this one I was somehow back working in a staff HR job, something I haven't done in almost 25 years. In the dream I couldn't figure out how to do anything and was dreading being foind out. Yuck.

Yes, but luckily only once or twice. In mine I didn't have problems figuring out how to do anything. Instead, my co-workers had made many mistakes related to my job function since I left. In fact, they made a mess of things. When a crisis developed (as they always did in my job), they couldn't cope and they were desperate for me to get everything straightened out quickly.

In my dream my supervisor was abjectly apologetic about all the mistakes and chaos. Mostly I was chatting with her, or wandering around talking to my former co-workers about the situation and the unbelievably crazy things they had done to deal with it, and saying things like, "Wow, you did WHAT? :eek: Why? What happened then?" :ROFLMAO:

It was fun to see everyone in my dreams, but very disconcerting to see that I had not left my job in such good hands as I thought. Somehow I managed to return things to a reasonable state before awakening.

Last edited:
Two nights ago I dreamt i was laid off. I was thinking, "Well it doesn't matter cause I'm retired. Hey wait, if I'm retired, why was I working?". Then I woke up.

Two nights ago I dreamt i was laid off. I was thinking, "Well it doesn't matter cause I'm retired. Hey wait, if I'm retired, why was I working?". Then I woke up.
I've been reading about lucid dreaming and trying to practice it. Things like that have happened several times.

W2R, I've always wondered but never asked -- would the Gulf Oil spill have been on your plate to deal with if you hadn't retired before it happened? Understand if that isn't something you want to /can answer, but' I'm curious.

lhamo

Once or twice a year. Pretty much the same one which actually happened.

The Light rail cars had several computers. The programs were stored in EEPROMs, Eproms, and PLDs. The cars being drive by wire had all the propulsion, braking and safety features including monitoring interlocks in these programs. The OEM, Sweedish, sold them to the MTA as car sets @ US $ 1500 per set. We bought 10 car sets.
They came properly packaged in ant-static tubes.

Upon arrival in, stores (supply room) folks decided, that since the anti-static tubes were too long for the available drawer space, the needed to re-package them.

Sooooo. They bought a bunch of zip-lock bags, opened the anti-static tubes' end and poured all the integrated circuits into said bags, neatly closed them.

Discovered this when a malfunctioning PLD required replacing. Sent off my tech to fetch one. Discovered the we could only get that device as part of a car-set, in a zip-lock bag.

Wrote a big long memo to all (supposedly) concerned with safety and those in the chain of command up to the GM.

They of course covered up the problem. Ordered me to use the device anyway, which I refused. Powers that be decided I was the bad guy.

Had the OEM folks sell us another 10 car-sets. The stores guys did the same thing again.

More memos.

After several go arounds the stores guys were sent off for ESD training.
Gives you a clue why a light rail system is horridly expensive to operate.

It still gives me the willies. Asleep or awake.

EEPROM= electrically erasable programmable device
EPROM = electrically programmable device
PLD = Programmable logic device, Just holds less stuff than the other two.
ESD = electrostatic discharge

Had a stupid dream just the other night about forgetting how to tie a tie.

In the last year or so, I had some weird dream about having made a mistake in the big project I was working on in my last 17 months of working and got into some trouble with it, and I was STILL THERE working on it! (Gasp) :(

Then I woke up and realized that I was still retired from working there since 2008. (Whew!) :)

Since I left my job in 1998, I haven’t dreamt about working in years. Then I saw this thread and thought, ‘I bet I dream about it now.’….and sure ‘nuff I did.

Early this morning I dreamt I was getting ready to go to work. My dream shifted to me being at home and being in the grocery store. I was a cashier at said grocery store. (I’ve never worked in a grocery store)

Strange things were getting in my way of getting to work on time. I had to eat four candy bars and I had problems getting my hair dry. At one point I was trying to explain the reason I was late….it was because I apprehended a perp. (I was a volunteer cop for over nine years)

Then I woke up. :blink:

Nightmares. Several times a week.

Overall the frequency/severity has gone down by about an order of magnitude over the last decade, and I can usually get back to sleep.

It's been years since I've jolted upright shouting orders, and then woken up.

I've had lots of dreams about being at work. Oddly enough, after I went to the office picnic recently, they've stopped. This was the first time in over 3 years I saw my co-workers except for one dear friend I've stayed close to. Somehow, going to that picnic gave me some much needed closure.

FIRE'd over three years ago. Still have dreams about w*rk all the time. Mostly the theme involves me discovering that megacorp never shut off my login from home ID and/or I've been volunteering helping megacorp out, but they took me off the payroll. Then I realize, I'm about the retire or am retired, the heck with it -- then I wake up.

The co-workers in the dream vary. Some from 20 years ago, some times recently.

FIRE'd 7/28/2011. Last night (8/2/2011) I had a dream about how ashamed I was seeing my high school classmates and telling them I was retired already. Also saw some work mates and had same reaction. This morning I still feel good about ER.

When I retired 5 years ago I got them several times a week. lately it's been maybe once every couple months.

In my dreams I'm usually on a job site working against time to get a large commercial kitchen ready for start up since they plan to open in the morning. Only problem is the equipment doesn't fit and everything has to be modified as there is about 12 hrs before sunset is upon us and I've already been working for 15 hrs. Ya, I hate details in my dreams.

Have a bad work dream the other night. Once again, same theme (I was still w*rking for Megacorp, had been helping out, but not even on the payroll). The bad part was in the dream, I wasn't sure if I was FIRE'd and just looking back, or if I was trapped at w*rk and daydreaming about someday FIRE'ing. The latter brought back bad memories :blush:

Have a bad work dream the other night. Once again, same theme (I was still w*rking for Megacorp, had been helping out, but not even on the payroll). The bad part was in the dream, I wasn't sure if I was FIRE'd and just looking back, or if I was trapped at w*rk and daydreaming about someday FIRE'ing. The latter brought back bad memories :blush:

Certainly disconcerting! It must have been a big relief to awaken after having that dream.

Certainly disconcerting! It must have been a big relief to awaken after having that dream.

Yes. It took me a minute or two to get my bearings back.

Usually, in that recurring dream I realized that I've already FIRE'd. But this time, I had an identity crisis until I woke up. :(

Back
Top Bottom